Rumor Control: Half-Life 2 apparently went gold

Ansur said:
Nah they'll probably release it earlier on Steam.
Better for them etc.

that would be an infridgement on the steam license agreement.
it won't happen.

we need someone to confirm that the piñata has indeed been busted...otherwise I won't buy this...it's just as reliable as any other gold-rumor...

believe1.jpg

I am not going to believe the pinyata was busted until I see a picture of the pinyata busted..

but I do believe that its going gold on monday!!!!

smacky said:
i think the reason they have not told anyone about the gold status is that they are preparing steam for the final half life 2 pre-load, like chris_d said in another thread, you still need the .dll files and stuff. It might be available for download on monday along with the gold announcement. so if lady luck is on our side we can play half life 2 on monday :)

We have the .dlls and stuff.

Oxygenetic said:
I swear if it's a lie I'm going to build my own crowbar and fricken' kill some people!

Yeah, or you can just buy one. Geeze. lol joke.

Anyway, I'm not going to break open any champaign just yet. Not until an actual gold announcememnt. Also, someone said earlier in this thread that HL2 could be unlocked Monday if there's a Gold announcement then. Doubt it, because it will be a universal HL2 release, so until it's in all the shops, there will be no HL2 for you.

:)

Also you will need to download a few more files when it's unlocked. Remeber when CSS was unlocked for us to play? We still had to download one or two files that overwrote something in the GCF's to let us play.

I went straight to Steam support about the question of whether or not we will be able to play HL2 as soon as it is announced as gold. The answer was no. We get to play HL2 the same day as everybody else.

Here is the question:

Customer (James Leonard) 10/09/2004 12:49 PM
I have a question regarding the Half-Life 2 preloading. I have already preloaded HL2 and bought the Silver Steam package.

My question is, when will I be able to play Half-Life 2? I have been researching the HL2 progress constantly, so I know what the progress of the is. This question is in regards to the HL2 preloading. Everywhere I look when I try to find out specifically when I will be able to play the game, all I see is "when it is available." Now, I know that there is no official release date as of now, but what I am wondering is what "available" means. Does it mean that I will be able to play HL2 as soon as the game goes gold? Or does it mean I can play the game as soon as it ships to stores (released on the street)?

Let's say, for instance, that VU approves the release candidate for HL2 on November 1, 2004 and declares that the game has gone gold for a release date of November 26, 2004.

In this example, would Steam subscribers who bought and paid for HL2 through steam be able to play HL2 on Novermber 1, 2004 or would they have to wait until November 26, 2004?

I hope you can answer my question, since it has been eating at me ever since I preloaded HL2.

Thanks,
James Leonard

The Answer from Steam technical support:

Response (Nickp) 10/11/2004 05:22 PM
Hello,

The preload will be available to play the same day as Half-Life 2 releases in stores.

If you don't believe me, I can always send you a copy of the email. I actually contact Steam about a week ago, just a day after I bought the Silver package from steam. A couple days after my question, I received the email with this answer.

see? Now who looks silly! :p

edit: Good work, Takuya.

I Said It Was Gonna Happen This Weak Last Sunday Haaaaaaaa
I Am God

HALF-LIFE 2™ HAS GONE GOLD

LOS ANGELES, Calif. (October 16, 2004) - Vivendi Universal Games announced today that Half-Life 2, the highly anticipated next installment in the best-selling and beloved franchise, has gone gold and will be released December 6th in North America, and December 20th in Europe.

“Half-Life 2 offers an unprecedented gameplay experience,” said Michael Rouling, EVP, Vivendi Universal Games. “It features the most advanced AI ever seen in a game, combined with state of the art graphics and sound.”.

Developed by Valve, Half-Life 2 is the highly anticipated sequel to the best selling Half-Life title, named “Best PC Game Ever” by PC Gamer. By taking the suspense, challenge and visceral charge of the original, and adding startling new realism and responsiveness, Half-Life 2 opens the door to a world where the player's presence affects everything around him, from the physical environment to the behaviors even the emotions of both friends and enemies.

The player again picks up the crowbar of research scientist Gordon Freeman, who finds himself on an alien-infested Earth being picked to the bone, its resources depleted, its populace dwindling. Freeman is thrust into the unenviable role of rescuing the world from the wrong he unleashed back at Black Mesa. And a lot of people he cares about are counting on him.

Half-Life 2 carries a suggested retail prices of $54.95 and has been rated “M” for Mature by the ESRB with descriptors for blood and intense violence. For additional information please go to www.half-life2.com.

About Valve
Founded in 1996, Valve creates entertainment software titles, including Half-Life®, Counter-StrikeTM, and Team Fortress®. Valve's portfolio accounts for over 12 million retail units sold worldwide, and over 88% of the online action market. More information about Valve is available through the company's Web site at www.valvesoftware.com.

About Vivendi Universal Games
Headquartered in Los Angeles, VU Games is a leading global developer, publisher and distributor of multi-platform interactive entertainment. Its development studios and publishing labels include Blizzard Entertainment, Sierra Entertainment, Fox Interactive and Massive Entertainment. VU Games’ library of over 700 titles features multi-million unit selling properties such as Warcraft, StarCraft and Diablo from Blizzard Entertainment; Crash Bandicoot, Spyro The Dragon, Empire Earth, Ground Control, Tribes and Leisure Suit Larry.

It's going to be soon, maybe this week we will see something concrete.
I don't know if anybody else has noticed but the message on your preload has changed to:

"When the game is officially released, you'll be able to play immediately"

So last preload was the last before release. :bounce:

it said that after I paid for the silver package & that was before the 6th preload.. so I think we have 1 more to go yet.. there are still .DLL's missing

You guys must not be reading this thread all the way through, because those who are preloading the game don't get to play it any earlier than those who plan to buy it in stores. That is, unless you guys are just discussing if whether or not Phase 6 was the last preload, which it probably wasn't.

ArE YoU sUrE.?.?!?!?

You never know, i dont think there's been an official announcement for this.

Takuya said:
You guys must not be reading this thread all the way through, because those who are preloading the game don't get to play it any earlier than those who plan to buy it in stores. That is, unless you guys are just discussing if whether or not Phase 6 was the last preload, which it probably wasn't.
6 was the last preload.

Look at the Preload Status message. It has changed from "A locked copy..." to "When the game is offically released..."

I stand corrected. I should thank you for not flaming me for not being more observant. That's all good news to me (the new preload status message).

So if its realy officially gold on Mondey....
When do you think the game will be available to play??

Do the steam buyers have to wait for the game to be on shelves you think?

if so, maybe its a contractual thing with Vivendi...

When, that is the question !??

sign : the guy who desperatly wait more than a year for a god dam game to come out... how sad but how so ****ing true.

I wan't it now!!!!!
(starts twitching with actually a real crowbar in his hand, ready to smack the first whos gonna says that it might be delayed again)

grrr!!!!
;op

Hotteman said:
So if its realy officially gold on Mondey....
When do you think the game will be available to play??

Do the steam buyers have to wait for the game to be on shelves you think?

if so, maybe its a contractual thing with Vivendi...

Probably early November

Yeah, they do. Vivendi won't allow Valve to release it on Steam first

Yes, that is most likely the case

It's still early morning in the US. Don't lose hope so quickly. Gabe's eating breakfast.

Back