S.t.a.l.k.e.r.:soc Information

Gorgon

Reaction score
The German print-magazine GameStar had S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl as its cover-story just shortly before the E3 2004. Here are interesting news and facts:

- The Sovjet Union still exists in the game.
- Andrew Prokhorov: "The explosion is just one of the reasons why animals and humans are mutating, gruesome experiments by the military are also responsible for this."
- The 30 km² Zone is divided into 18 sectors (because of performance issues) each of which varying 0.7 to 2 km².
- There will be 36 main quests and virtually an unlimited number of randomly generated quests.
- A situation GameStar experienced regarding the A.I.: While being chased by two enemies in a building they ran to an upper floor. The two enemies followed them. Reaching the floor, GameStar had to jump from a wall onto the ground because there was no other way out. One of the NPC stalkers noticed this and started to shoot at the editors and distract them while the other NPC stalker ran down the stairs again to the first floor to catch the editors and shoot from that position.
- In main quests there will be a "scripted" path of actions, Andrew explains: "In one of the missions you have to infiltrate the stalker-base. To simulate a regular camp life we use scripts. However, as soon as you trigger the alarm the combat AI appears and your enemies act from now on independently."
- DirectX 9 is to be shown at E3.
- Glass of windows does not only burst, but single shards can be shot out, too. Shooting in closed rooms can be dangerous because of ricochets which can hurt the player. Different types of ammunitions have different effects.
- Currently one day in the game equals to three hours in real life.
- Besides gravitaional anomalies there will be ones with electrostatic discharges and deadly plants (just to name a few of course).
- GSC will make sure that if fuel of your vehicle should be empty, the walk to the next vehicle won't last too long.
- THQ plans a multiplayer beta test with 50,000 people a few months before release.
- Though GSC has still planned Sept. 2004, GameStar estimates the release to be Middle of 2005.

http://www.oblivionlost.deloo.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=304

DirectX 9 is to be shown at E3. YES YES :)

I am very much looking forward to this game, it is going to be phenominal, they have so much attention to detail and realism (if you dont count the made up part). And the DX9 affects with simply make this game even more stunning.

slicktick said:
I am very much looking forward to this game, it is going to be phenominal, they have so much attention to detail and realism (if you dont count the made up part). And the DX9 affects with simply make this game even more stunning.

one more thing. The dev team stated last week that they are going to include PS3.0 shader support. WOW :O

The Sovjet Union? As in Soviet Union? Do they mean the USSR is still around in 2010 in the game, or that Chernobyl is still the way it was when the Soviet Union existed (which is true)?

I thought they were planning on releasing the game in summer 2004.

Stalker is set in a possible future - so it's ok to still have the Soviet Union :)

My only concern is the AI in Stalker (which is meant to be ****) and the invisible whirlwinds that tear you to pieces.

Hopefully this will all be tweaked. It really is looking like a sweet game \o/

Its the USSR like it had never been disolved at all, so basically if you change that one event, this is there interpretation of what the future would be like.

And the AI is supposed to be sweet ass, they will take in what you do and how you behave and will conclude to be friendly or not, they have loyalty and experience, they are also supposed to be quite tactically advanced.

slicktick said:
And the AI is supposed to be sweet ass, they will take in what you do and how you behave and will conclude to be friendly or not, they have loyalty and experience, they are also supposed to be quite tactically advanced.

That all sounds very nice, but according to a recent play/preview the AI is meant to be piss poor :\ There is also no reaction to being shot at the mo - no movement as the bullets hit home. This was the latest build too (apparently) so time is running out.

The game is still quite a few months off, it's barely in Beta.

When the game is finished, expect the A.I. to be realistic as hell.

I think I'm looking forward to STALKER even more than HL2, if thats at all possible.

G.Freeman said:
I think I'm looking forward to STALKER even more than HL2, if thats at all possible.

Get out, now.

Stalker looks quite interesting. How is the multiplayer going to work?

Back