Secret HL2 website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget to say that n30n is the one that solved it for us. And for people who don't know, view the page source code.

Valve are laughing at us.

:bounce: :LOL: :farmer:

Attachments

• 18d.jpg
    18d.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,633
Neutrino - I was the first person to decode it from Rot13 (although I did assume halflife2.com instead of half-life2.com).

haha omg my first time seeing this...nice pic of gordon in keyboard characters

Yes, view the source code to see ascii art of a bird and gordan

Ne0n got the password and username though ;)

Anyone got any further on the second stage?

To cover what we have..

1: Check the source code to the site, you can see Gordon and a bird in ASCII.
2: anything else?

The last thread turned to spam =/ It was hard to read everything

Lanthanide said:
Neutrino - I was the first person to decode it from Rot13 (although I did assume halflife2.com instead of half-life2.com).

Apologies. I didn't know who originally found the code. Nice work.

All he did was get it emailed to him because someone replied to his email. People had already emailed other valve staff but gotten no reply. n30n didn't do anything himself.

Not that decoding ROT13 is particularly amazing either, but I wasn't relying on outside help to do it.

Here's Gordon in smaller font sizes (and two different fonts)

The default, redcued font size in Firefox's page source looks great (gordonascii.JPG)

Attachments

• gordonascii.JPG
    gordonascii.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 1,401
  • gordonzig.JPG
    gordonzig.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,379
Wow, I've never seen ascii art like that before - it looks pretty damn good.

Let's not make this thread as long as the "Back from another... TRIP TO VALVE" thread...please...the mods are going to have a batch of early morning heart attacks when they see all this as it is :p

EDIT: The lack of mods makes me wonder if this is somehow related to the contest that has been posted about on the main page...hmmmm... :rolling:

Sorry, I contest the notion that n30n solved the puzzle. The answer was e-mailed to him by Erik of Valve, and there was no way to solve it given the image.

Otherwise, I would have cracked it ;)

Stan R.

Frosty207 said:
Let's not make this thread as long as the "Back from another... TRIP TO VALVE" thread...please...the mods are going to have a batch of early morning heart attacks when they see all this as it is :p

EDIT: The lack of mods makes me wonder if this is somehow related to the contest that has been posted about on the main page...hmmmm... :rolling:
Chris_D said the first one is a writing competition... so no. ;)

Well, too bad, at least I got to throw in my guess :D

Frosty207 said:

No, the majority of the mods live in the UK. SO they are either sleeping, drunk, or recovering from a hangover. :O

Never mind...It works now..after about twenty times....
Bah.. Shoulda let it load before trying the password
anyway...whoa

Interesting....

meta name="keywords" content="congratulations, cleverness, illicit, snapshots

Edit: Oops, Nevermind Second Edition

Hate when people do that...

good thing i had to go back to check the name of the poster...I don't have to put oops....
:-D

i just realised, we have to view the SOURCE :E

Yeah, maybe it has something to do with that Matrix movie you know? How they go to The Source? I reckon there's a connection there or something.

Or perhaps it's Valve's way of metaphorically giving the "bird" to the person whole stole (viewed) the source code.

what significance does this bird have... has a bird ever been important to anything in any way...

i dont think the bird means anything. it just shows the link between hl2.net and greg :cheese:

The "illicit" and "snapshot" keywords have to be significant somehow.

Unfortunately it's 8:15AM and I haven't gone to bed yet so I can't quite figure out how...

trip to valve got owned, talk on irc if you wana get up to date I guess

If you look at the left side of the white board image you see the word ass. What could this be part of. Its buggin the hell outta me.

/edit:

The original thread finally got closed. My god 825 posts, thats a ton of spam.

I think the bird and the picture of Gordon might mean this:

Bird + Freeman = Birdman

ie the Birdman of Alcatraz - where the ATI deal was announced last year. It could mean another ATI announcement is imminent.

But probably not...:)

I think.. I know how to get past this one :) If it now is something.. I think it's something :p

LOOK AT THE PICTURE, READ THE TEXT :D

And here's what I found in the gman.css file..

"
BODY {
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BACKGROUND-POSITION: center center; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(hl2netgman.gif); PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 240px 24px 24px; COLOR: black; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat; FONT-FAMILY: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; SCROLLBAR-BASE-COLOR: white; BACKGROUND-COLOR: black
}
"

hl2netgman.gif ? :S I don't know if that has to do with anything, but it refers to hl2net :p

Also, the keywords or what it is, it says "snapshot", so I took a print screen, and played with it in Photoshop, but I didn't found nothing exept for the brighter right-side. :S

Attachments

• gman.jpg
    gman.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 793
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back