Secret HL2 website

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The left of the whiteboard picture says:

DAY FOR
[EA?]STER EGGS/
TRICKS"

I think its the last bit of a date - ie 30/9/04

how do you get the ascii line across the picture the one with all of the \o--..\ stuff?

btw "congratulations cleverness illicit snapshots" is a google whack - although the page is completely irellevant as far as I can be bothered to tell :|

+ the url at the top of the source is irrelevant as well. :rolling:

Gabe is making me cry. :( They are screwing with our heads, you see? We will be brainwashed and we will all be Gabe's evil minions! :O

I think it's a fact that it's a joke..just look at it..

It says "easter eggs"

and "important: jbjasdfsla;dfnds" ( a bunch of bs letters)

I think it's 100% that it's a joke.

Xenome said:
I think it's a fact that it's a joke..just look at it..

It says "easter eggs"

and "important: jbjasdfsla;dfnds" ( a bunch of bs letters)

I think it's 100% that it's a joke.
Most probably, the 'Cut Sections' cannot be serious at all. Cut Sections, Eli's Leg... gotta be a joke.

The whole whiteboard is mocked up.

You should have noticed some mini-gags on there.

e.g.

Cut Items:
Eli's Leg
Hair
Xen2
Gordon/Alyx Love Scene

"Eli's leg" - he's clearly had his leg amputated in the E3 video.
"Xen2" - We know that was never on the cards for HL2
"Gordon/Alyx Love Scene" - We know that that old cliche would spoil the experience for a lot of people. Valve know it too.

"Leash for DOG" - Why would a robot need a leash?

"Additional hairstyle for Barney" - lol

That whole board has been mocked up purely for the purpose of these "challenges"

For those that have just tuned in, the letters that look odd can actually be decrypted rather easily and they're what's lead us this far.

A N
B O
C P
D Q
E R
F S
G T
H U
I V
J W
K X
L Y
M Z
N A
O B
P C
Q D
R E
S F
T G
U H
V I
W J
X K
Y L
Z M

So: URLLB, GBNE IVFVGBEF

In English: HELLO, TOUR VISITORS

And therefore the part URL at the top:

yusr2.pbz/frperg/cj a3q/
life2.com/secret/pwn3d/

I've been trying to use the grid for other parts but to no avail so far :/

the cut section included "Moss" too.

I presume it's Dr.Mossman (the white sweatshirt chick), they couldn't possibly cut her out as she definately is part of the story (E 3 2004 video).

This kinda reminds me of the secret messages you could find in the source of the unfinished Doom3 website a while back...

Whezzy said:
link
any html savy guys here? translation?

that's just a way of assigning styles to text like colour and font..nothing to see here

this is just tooo damn difficult for all of us..... :bounce:
But WE NEED TO FINISH THIS SHIT, it's to intruiging

Yeah. If you look at

www.halflife2.net/compo.html - that's what the site looks like before it gets the information about the fonts, sizes and colours etc. from the CSS file.

EDIT: Memo to self - click on Submit Reply before going to have lunch :E

Now the pwned page has a different password, or Am I the only one unable to acess it?

Sprafa said:
Now the pwned page has a different password, or Am I the only one unable to acess it?
Type the username/password in a few times, it'll come up eventually.

what is this about

-- .--. ." o \_ _.-" ,( ` _.-" ,;;| .-=" _," ,,;;;' .-"`.-"``-..,,;;;;:' `"'` `\`\ /^\ \ -->

being on the webpage somewhere - how do you look at it - I've seen it posted before but I dont know where it came from

I got this from a post on steampowered.com

can somone please explain... :frown:

ok, got it.

Weird, Valve tricking us like this....I really hate when ppl do this (i.e. - The Wachwoski Bros. in the Matrix Site, you had to figure soem shit out to get secret stuff)

edit - select the page, it'll be there e-walker

I don't it's leet thou, doesn't looks like it. Maybe a command for some sort of app ?

ne-waller said:
what is this about

-- .--. ." o \_ _.-" ,( ` _.-" ,;;| .-=" _," ,,;;;' .-"`.-"``-..,,;;;;:' `"'` `\`\ /^\ \ -->

being on the webpage somewhere - how do you look at it - I've seen it posted before but I dont know where it came from

Argh, it's just the HTML code being wacky.

ne-waller said:
what is this about

It doesn't come up anymore. They messed it up slightly so instead of showing the ACSII art of the bird in the html code that it actually displayed as text on the site. That jibberish there should actually look like:

Code:
<!--
                      .--.
                    ."  o \_
                 _.-"    ,( `
             _.-"      ,;;|
         .-=" _,"    ,,;;;'
     .-"`.-"``-..,,;;;;:'
     `"'`         `\`\
                   /^\ \

-->

cheers sorry for the false alarm - I see the bird

one ascii art in the source code is worth 2 spread over a single line - or something :thumbs:

This is some cool shit. Reminds me of hackthissite.org or something, where you could ge thru the site by hacking instead of clicking.

So, what's up for level two? SSL connection to the steam mainframe, followed by a * query on those words (congratulations, cleverness, illicit, snapshots)? Or what? tell me what you've got so far? telnet sessions? where are we heading here?

Element Alpha said:
This is some cool shit. Reminds me of hackthissite.org or something, where you could ge thru the site by hacking instead of clicking.

So, what's up for level two? SSL connection to the steam mainframe, followed by a * query on those words (congratulations, cleverness, illicit, snapshots)? Or what? tell me what you've got so far? telnet sessions? where are we heading here?
I've looked at the half-life2.com site using the GetRight browser but that doesn't come up with anything.

not sure if this means anything but i think 69.28.175.117 is the ip to the site, maybe you can try ftp or somthing.

estling said:
LOOK AT THE PICTURE, READ THE TEXT :D

And here's what I found in the gman.css file..

"
BODY {
PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BACKGROUND-POSITION: center center; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(hl2netgman.gif); PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 240px 24px 24px; COLOR: black; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat; FONT-FAMILY: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; SCROLLBAR-BASE-COLOR: white; BACKGROUND-COLOR: black
}
"

hl2netgman.gif ? :S I don't know if that has to do with anything, but it refers to hl2net :p

Also, the keywords or what it is, it says "snapshot", so I took a print screen, and played with it in Photoshop, but I didn't found nothing exept for the brighter right-side. :S

Heh...nice try...that's the bright pixels from your scroll bar bleeding over into the black area of the screen. View the page on an LCD monitor, or change your scrollbar color to black or something darker and the "brightness" or ghosting will go away.

x84D80Yx said:
not sure if this means anything but i think 69.28.175.117 is the ip to the site, maybe you can try ftp or somthing.

it's not accessible, suprisingly lol :bounce:

Actually "congratulations cleverness illicit snapshots" is a google whack but i dont think thats significant having seen the site it links to...

the webpage mentioned at the top of the source code is irrelevent as well.

I think we may need to wait from signals from above :rolleyes: before we can complete the next stage... but I'm gonna keep looking anyway :thumbs:

we cracked the first bit pretty quickly! - edit - I say we, but I did nothing :cheese:

PiMuRho said:
"Hello Halflife2.net. Your cleverness is noted; you've passed the first test."

That doesn't mean that there's a second test.
You're in on it, aren't you?

for all I know, the second test would be patience...to wait for the game to release.

We've passed our first test. Ok so what's our second test?

btw - I now found out the reason for the delay. They've all been working on that text version of gordon freeman for the past year.

alright, i remember merc telling me in his second thread about visiting valve that the white board said finish easter eggs/tricks by 06/21/04, that was two days ago so this must be what they were talking about......****ing messing with our heads

guinny said:
btw - I now found out the reason for the delay. They've all been working on that text version of gordon freeman for the past year.

it only takes a second to make those with a converter.

x84D80Yx said:
it only takes a second to make those with a converter.

I know, but imagine trying to type that out yourself. :|

This could be like where Valve said there's an easter egg in the video's when there wasn't (or atleast one they knew about).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back