Secret HL2 website

Status
Not open for further replies.
guinny said:
I know, but imagine trying to type that out yourself. :|
that's just impossible, i mean for you to not make at least one typo and not notice it

Element Alpha said:
This is some cool shit. Reminds me of hackthissite.org or something, where you could ge thru the site by hacking instead of clicking.

So, what's up for level two? SSL connection to the steam mainframe, followed by a * query on those words (congratulations, cleverness, illicit, snapshots)? Or what? tell me what you've got so far? telnet sessions? where are we heading here?
There Is No Hacking Involved. More Logical Thinking

EDIT. i just thought of somthing.. it was in a black font... blackbird? hidden bird?

Sai said:
alright, i remember merc telling me in his second thread about visiting valve that the white board said finish easter eggs/tricks by 06/21/04, that was two days ago so this must be what they were talking about......****ing messing with our heads
Well they're doing a good job of that...

This could very well be like the easter egg thing - there isn't one :O

Hmmm The BlackBird Was Supposed To Be On His Head... maybe Blackhead? :p

Whezzy said:
Hmmm The BlackBird Was Supposed To Be On His Head... maybe Blackhead? :p

lol, hey by the way been meaning to ask, what is your avatar? i think i recognise it?

No He Had Very usfull info there i read it maybe a mod edited it...
MOD CONSPIRICY

Dont Know lol... random penguin?

He posted the IP WHOIS lookup, which pointed to Limelight.

This code cracking etc. is fun and all, but I wish Valve would see to more urgent matters, like publically releasing the benchmark that has been made available to review sites for almost a year.

Pobz said:
This code cracking etc. is fun and all, but I wish Valve would see to more urgent matters, like publically releasing the benchmark that has been made available to review sites for almost a year.
Haven't all of the sites been using the stolen build to benchmark HL2?

Pobz said:

High-profile sites like Tomshardware.com and Anandtech.com either got to go to Valve and run benchmarks or ran benchmarks somewhere else under close supervision. Less reputable sites simply used the stolen build. There is no publically released Half-Life 2 benchmarking tool, for reviewers or otherwise.

i was finally able to see the gman pic on the pwned site after trying the password several times, but i have yet to see the site with freeman and the bird. i wish i knew what was going on.

Heh, just read through this thread, very interesting and a nice way to keep the fans occupied until the game is released.

<meta name="keywords" content="congratulations, cleverness, illicit, snapshots">

could that possibly have something to do with this, a clue?

That's usually used for search engines, but possibly.

I wonder what they crossed out for the todo for the collector's edition.

Harryz said:
Heh, just read through this thread, very interesting and a nice way to keep the fans occupied until the game is released.

Actually, that WOULD be a very cool way for Valve to keep the fans occupied until the game is released. Won't be so much anger going around, less negative stuff in general.

And maybe there will be more which lead to a final "puzzle" where the ultimate prize will be a free copy of the game, or perhaps, an official announcement of the game going gold. (A stretch I know...but would be fun).

Have to admit this was pretty fun watching it all unfold; kept my attention for a few days.

i did a bit of a scan through the not-so-easily-accessed hl2netgman.gif file, and came up with nothing, at least nothing that i could see...just letting you all know so nobody wastes their time thinking this hasn't been tried. also, the image isn't hiding a digital watermark or anything (metadata, for example).

Magriep said:
That's usually used for search engines, but possibly.

I wonder what they crossed out for the todo for the collector's edition.

As said in the other thread, after adjusting gamma and contrast, it says something like:

Half-Life 2 is cancelled due to unpopularity - begin work on Barbie: Source

Ok, so the one thing Glamhawk (the starter of this thread) did not do is indicate that the puzzle was originally solved in a thread called "Just got back from ANOTHER visit to Valve," which is a good read by itself.

A lot of the efforts/results/observations you are seeing here were already done and exposed in that thread, last night.

Stan R.

Originally Posted by PiMuRho
"Hello Halflife2.net. Your cleverness is noted; you've passed the first test."

That doesn't mean that there's a second test.

Um, of course there's another test, or they wouldn't mention a first one. However, it might be impossible to glean it from the web-page..I think that those ASCII art pieces were just clues that Greg Coomer set up the whole shebang and is telling us he did it..the second test will have to be revealed to us..

That was a joke, it says nothing of this kind. The only thing legible is "/44"
There probably was't a real message there, as the whole whiteboard has been created for the sole purpose of entertaining us.

Stan R.

Sedako said:
As said in the other thread, after adjusting gamma and contrast, it says something like:

Half-Life 2 is cancelled due to unpopularity - begin work on Barbie: Source

ppl, PiMunRho is a high profile guy, he's in it. If he says there is no 2nd test, there is no 2nd test.

Sprafa said:
ppl, PiMunRho is a high profile guy, he's in it. If he says there is no 2nd test, there is no 2nd test.

Pi has no tie-ins with VALVe. He's not in on it.

Can someone please tell me how to see the bird and whatever else there is...

I have scanned various threads but I cant find a clear answer... (That works)

I right click and click "View Source" but nothing actually happens. :(

There's going to be a second test. You can behead me if there isn't.

marksmanHL2 :) said:

Go to your Toolbar then View then go to Source.(Using Avant Browser so it may not be exactly like that)

marksman, use Internet Explorer and click view source. If it opens up in notepad, disable word wrap and scroll down

That does nothing as well.... :frown:

EDIT:
shite... just realised. It will want to open in notepad right...

Well I had a virus a while back and it deleted notepad and everything to do with notepad... lol

Anyone know how to get it back :rolling:

yeah, i tried view source too to no avail.
edit: ok, ill try those.

Doesnt matter guys, I got it. I saved it as HTML. It worked. I am happy.

Thanks for your help anyway. :)

go to file-> Save as and save the webpage, and then go into wordpad and open the html file and it should work.

[edit:] beat me to it.

EDIT:

Well I had a virus a while back and it deleted notepad and everything to do with notepad... lol

Could reinstall windows. I think theres a way to choose what you want to view source with...heh nvm

File > Save as... > Save

Right click on the .html file and select Open with > and you should see WordPad in there. It can also be opened with most other text editors.

EDIT: You all beat me to it!

heheh, I aint gona be reinstalling windows over notepad any time soon :p

However, thanks anyway. :)

EDIT: Too slow Chris! :p

EDIT:

That's got to be the stupidest virus I've ever heard of. :rolling:

Go to your Control Panel and select "Add/Remove Programs." Once it opens, select "Add/Remove Windows Components." You can uninstall/reinstall lots of Windows doodads from there. It will ask for your Windows CD though, so I hope you're legit.

Well I am very sorry if I offended you with my stupidity SMT! :p

EDIT: with one small problem. Its not listed there!!! :thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back