Server Migration Donations

Raziaar

I Hate Custom Titles
Reaction score
Just a simple thread I wanted to toss up, separate from the new home thread.

I want to ask you guys, how much you feel like you would want to contribute for the server to stay up and running and as awesome as ever(maybe even with better performance).

I'm not asking how much you can donate, I'm asking how much you want to. I want posts from people who will donate a small amount of money to keep the server going because they enjoy it and wish to contribute out of the good of their heart.

If you don't feel like you can donate, because times are tough or your situation is tough or whatever, that's fine. You don't have to donate, and you will still be able to access and use the server. You won't be made to feel bad about not being able to donate.

Since there aren't any plans currently to benefit server donors(and I personally don't think there should be), make your decision with the expectation that you won't be given any special bonuses for doing so... with your only motivation being to keep the server operational. This isn't a money making operation, this is strictly to fund the server rental costs.

We're looking at anywhere from $40 to $45 a month for server hosting with a site such as www.mynecraft.com.

I will start off saying that I want to donate around $5 a month to keep our minecraft world going.

If we can get a lot more people who 'want' to donate $5 or $2 or $1 a month to keep the server running, that would be fantastic. Hell, if we could get 40 people who each wanted to donate $1 a month that would be even better, because everybody could enjoy the server at such a piddly amount of monthly change.

I'm not on that much, but I've got a few bucks in paypal that I can throw towards the server. Maybe not each month, but I can help every once in a while.

I could do $5 a month, just not sure how we'd get all the money in one spot.

I can do $5 a month aswell. Maybe more if we're behind some months.

We'll need to figure out a way we can throw all the money into one card that we can use to pay for the server fees... maybe a paypal debit card or something, who knows. Though honestly if we can I'd try to avoid paypal... too much annoyance with them and issues especially lately.

I'd like to be able to donate $5 a month, but, sadly, since I don't have any money, I may not be able to donate as often. I probably could throw in $20 every once in a while.

How would we donate? Do I just put a couple bucks in the mail or what? I could drop a few bucks here and there. I may just pay a chunk all at once because I'd likely forget as time when on.

I give you 3 dowwars a month as long as I continue to use the server.

How would we donate? Do I just put a couple bucks in the mail or what? I could drop a few bucks here and there. I may just pay a chunk all at once because I'd likely forget as time when on.

No, no money would be transfered through the mail.

Not sure how we'd do it. I don't know much about payment methods how we can funnel these donations into a single account. We might have to end up using paypal with a paypal debit card.

Or maybe I'll like... use my card for the transaction and have you guys send money into my paypal(or anybody else we trust), since I don't really use my paypal for anything else these days.

I'm just worried about paypal like, freezing the account for bullshit fraud investigations and interrupting our service if a bunch of people are suddenly sending money to my account.

To be honest, I don't want to work with paypal at all for something like this... **** paypal. I don't want to risk stupid shit like chargeback fees and stuff.

I would be happy to donate $5 a month.
I would also be willing to throw $20 into a fund type setup to keep the server running for a while. I think that might be easier than collecting money each month. Get an account that everyone puts money towards. When it runs out have another minecraft cash drive to replenish the funds.

I'd also happily donate $5 a month considering how much I play on it.
Might stop donating after a few months tho, in case I don't play Minecraft a lot anymore.

$5 a month is ok for me, thats effin cheap for the amount of time I put into it. at this rate, we'd probably have the 1st month paid for, then maybe the next pool of money pays for the following month....who knows...

I could put a little in, up to $5 would be fine.
I might not do it all the time though, depends on how much I play I suppose

Well um, I think we have more than enough people donating now that it shouldn't have to be $5 per person, but I'd still be willing to throw in a couple bucks or however much it comes out to.

It doesn't HAVE to be $5 a person. You can donate whatever you like. Like Warped said, any extra money would rollover to the next month.

If i get the job i want in late december/early january, i could contribute a few dollars if need be.

Let's see.. If you send the money as a gift on PayPal, you avoid any kind of transaction fee. I don't really know of any other service that you can use as payment.

WAIT! There is Amazon Payments, but I'm not sure how that works. I know you can send money via anyone, but I'm not sure if it takes a percent of it. Who wants to test it with me with a meager $1? I'll send it right back of course, but I just wanted to test it.

^ Correct about the "gift" option on paypal.

I'd be willing to throw some money in the pot as well.

€5/$5 a month is good with me. I might do more but I'm currently overdrawn and I'd prefer to wipe that out before I donated anything more.

can someone just set up a donation pool on paypal, like make a fake organization or something?? also we should see if we can sucker outsiders to pay for us, maybe like for xmas gifts and stuff

inb4 when whoever that will be put in charge of the server runs off with the money and buys some pills to overdose on, then the media will blame hl2.net and be all like "RUTHLESS GAMERS ON STEROIDS DONATES MONEY TO AID SUICIDE" to get this forum shut down.

lol, you can't wipe out this disease nest.

I've created donation buttons with my PayPal account before. They're a pain in the ass to find on the website, but they do exist. If for whatever reason your PayPal account can't create them, try to verify your account or something. I don't remember what I did, it was years ago. I also never use PayPal, so I always forget how to use their website.

Also, like previously stated, we could always just gift the money. I've never done that before.

Well, if we wanted to risk the paypal thing, I can maybe set up my account to allow for the gifting and then pay for the server with my card every month... and adding to my bank account what was spent for the server each month. All while sort of having an updated area on the forums where anybody can see how much money is in the account. I don't use my paypal account for anything really. I only have $0.24 in there currently.

Me or whoever else we want to do it... I don't want to be presumptuous.

I already have a paypal donation button set up somewhere on vegeta's website... if this decides to be what we want to do and you guys want me to be the one who does the financial transactions with the server and stuff.

Don't want to post the link because I don't want anybody donating anything until we decide it's what we want to do.

I mean, I haven't really heard any objections to the www.mynecraft.com idea and there are quite a few of us who are interested in that, so it seems to be the most popular... but if anybody has issues speak up.

I like how you act as if Paypal is some seedy thing that takes all your money and stabs you in the chest for doing buisness with them. Its really not a bad service at all.

Paypal does directly that. I've heard so many horror stories about paypal... including one from Notch himself. Granted his situation is different... but surely you can understand the worry that they're going to like, see a mostly inactive account suddenly receiving a bunch of donations and be all... **** THAT SHIT!

Plus there is the whole donation chargeback issue... which isn't a paypal thing directly I guess, but still carries a $10 fee for each chargeback.

With millions of users, there's bound to be 'horror stories'.

I've used paypal for lots of things including donations, sending and receiving payments, etc. Never had an issue.

Ugh. The paypal donation fee is 45 cents, at least for a 5 dollar donation. I don't know if it's a flat rate or a percentage.

Sounds like $0.20 + 5%.

**** paypal, I've heard an amount of complaints disproportionate to the amount of people that i know use it, and use other services which they are happy with.

All sorts of storys, like them freezing the money with no explanation for months for "spot checks".

Ugh. The paypal donation fee is 45 cents, at least for a 5 dollar donation. I don't know if it's a flat rate or a percentage.

What about the gift thing? If there is no charge, we could just do it directly instead of through a donate page. Then again, PayPal might not like a bunch of random gifts in small amounts to you.

What about the gift thing? If there is no charge, we could just do it directly instead of through a donate page. Then again, PayPal might not like a bunch of random gifts in small amounts to you.

Yeah, see that's the stuff I'm worried about. A relatively inactive account suddenly getting all of these gifts. I just don't want such a thing to impact the server if paypal decides to go dick on us and freeze the account for a lengthy investigation.

I mean... they'll discover my mob dealings.

Bah. A bunch of donatey type websites that I've looked into all seem to use PayPal as the backend.

Who cares about the donation and gifting! Stop whining about it, Raz. Seriously, the worst that happens is they notice the excess amount of gifting, freeze it, and reprimand you. They're not going to steal your money. I've purchased many, many, MANY things with PayPal, and I've donated and had money gifted to me enough times. I actually refunded a guy because PayPal charged me 5$ for something and asked him to send it as a gift, and guess what! It worked out perfectly the very next day.

I promise it's not as bad as you're making it out to be.

Whining... Hm. Okay.

I'm just trying to think about what's best for the server and the donating community by expressing some of my concerns.

Back