Sexual ambiguity and HL2

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're living in a bombed-out slave dystopia under Combine rule I doubt you'll have time (or place) to go shopping for the latest Gucci and have your nails done. Nope, you'll be tinkering with guns and heavy machinery instead. The girly-girl type would've died out long before Gordon awoke.

Apparantly she still has found the time to go out and buy a pair of low-cut jeans.

---

I can respect Alyx for her small boobies which make her stand out in contrast to most female video game characters. She is still a pointless character though who was inserted into Half-Life soley for sublte sex appeal to lasso in the legions of impressionable gamers out there.

Apparantly she still has found the time to go out and buy a pair of low-cut jeans.

---

I can respect Alyx for her small boobies which make her stand out in contrast to most female video game characters. She is still a pointless character though who was inserted into Half-Life soley for sublte sex appeal to lasso in the legions of impressionable gamers out there.
If Valve wanted sex appeal they could have done far far better :p
Alyx is there to show some real emotion (a male character doing some of Alyx's lines (I don't mean the ones talking to Gordon) might sound a little wierd) and to have a character the player could have a connection with besides "OMG dat bitches hawt!" or "lolz barney is teh funney" or "hello random citizen #153"

But with that said Alyx does not look like a man and people who say she's ugly either have very high standards or just don't like female characters in games.

...and handy with a crowbar :p

Heh-heh-heh-heh, innuendo.

Can't we just resolve this conflict with the fact that video-game characters will be video-game characters and that if you're looking for something to drool over you should either check one of them "sites" or get a girlfriend?

I mean, Valve established Alyx as a character that the player can have a connection with (much like ríomhaire said) and is trying to expand the female videogame persona from the stereotypical "gun totting beach blonde with the 34 D's that goes to her beach house after saving the world and has a bisexual orgy with other unrealistically proportioned people". I think Alyx is a welcome change from that, especially in the intelligence department, she is more realistic than other "heroines" and can offer some comedic semi-sexual jokes from time to time without changing the whole game's format to something out of "the playboy mansion meets the sci-fi genre".

And honestly, I don't really think Alyx is all that bad. Not fanboy inducing hotness, but she's okay.

I think it is on opoinion whether or not you like her, or anybody. Take Trinity from the Matrix. My friend has a huge crush on her, but I think she's ugly. It all depends.
Aylx isn't meant to be the hottest girl ever, becuase she is just normal. Makeup is proboaly difficult to get hold of, and I like her clothes. She doesn't have access to these things becuase of the Combine.

If Valve wanted sex appeal they could have done far far better :p
Alyx is there to show some real emotion (a male character doing some of Alyx's lines (I don't mean the ones talking to Gordon) might sound a little wierd) and to have a character the player could have a connection with besides "OMG dat bitches hawt!" or "lolz barney is teh funney" or "hello random citizen #153"

But with that said Alyx does not look like a man and people who say she's ugly either have very high standards or just don't like female characters in games.

Considering how many "OMG ALXY IS HAWT LOL!!!1" posts I've seen here and elsewhere I think Valve has done a good enough job.

There is no reason Gordon couldn't have met a male rebel and developed a war-buddy bond with him. (or at least the rebel would) Already it seems like Valve is forcing me to have this relationship with Alyx by making her follow me around and give me orders constantly. Where is the part where I tell her:

I'm sorry, Alyx, but you're just not my type... Bye now. *pushes her off a cliff*

Alyx looks allot better in the Concept art. Also the E3 alyx had the "OMFGZ ALIX IZ T3H SECHEH" she had that jump suit which more "noticable" it showed her feminine body shape. Also one of my cousins said that you could her rack alloy better, lol.

Well anyways here are some E3 pic's, Notice this is the mod Missing Information's Alyx model & texture.

hlmvscreen025E3w.jpg

hlmvscreen012E32.jpg

I suppose her exposed stomach isn't there to pull in any desperate 15 year olds?

Her original costume was just wierd... Her current one, as rediculous as her jeans might be, fits alot better than that.

I heard her original jumpsuit was supposed to be some kind of HEV suit. Don't know where I heard it though.

maybe after the inhibitor field is switched off she'll realise she's attracted to girls!!!

unlikley.

Alyx is better now, certainly. Valve won't erase the old clothes model for nothing, and no one will wear clothes like that in reality.

Valve probably changed it because the whole futuristic jump suit is kind of a sci-fi cliche. Probably same reason Breen became the Black Mesa Administrator instead of a military officer turned dictator.

EDIT: And by reading over the other posts, I wanna say some of you are the stupidest people on the planet.

Valve probably changed it because the whole futuristic jump suit is kind of a sci-fi cliche. Probably same reason Breen became the Black Mesa Administrator instead of a military officer turned dictator.

EDIT: And by reading over the other posts, I wanna say some of you are the stupidest people on the planet.

Actually if ya don't know it....Half-Life 2 is a Science Fiction medium, plus This happened two decades after the Black Mesa incident....For an unknown amount of period of time(in stassssssissss). probably 20-25 years later, plus Alyx was just a baby during then.

Holy shit, a post on whether Alyx is a lesbian!! What the hell is this world coming too! Its already been said but im stressing the point, Alyx was put in to create emotions in a computer game and actually make the player have some sort of connection or feelings for the character, something which has never been achieved before. Alyx to me is unique, about half my mates are girls and I have had girlfriends, and to me a lot of them have pretty much the same sort of attitude to everything, and most of them never shut the hell up! Alyx shows a personality of a female which I find to be very original and gets away from all the cliched characters that you meet in other games, usually if there is a women character in any other game, i hate them, and usually shoot them when i see them because they are ridiculous! Alyx was completely different and is the most realistic computer game character ever made in my opinion.

Oh, and frankly you have verrrrryyyy strange sexual issues if you find Alyx ugly and a turn-off or whatever, she has been made to be very bright, brave, self-confident, emotionally and morally strong. She is most certainly NOT ugly, and yes i find her hot, there i said it! But if you hate Alyx you are doing it for bullshit reasons to be quite honest, come back to reality the lot of ya!

P.S. The earlier suite looks retarded. Her current model is a lot better imo

Actually if ya don't know it....Half-Life 2 is a Science Fiction medium, plus This happened two decades after the Black Mesa incident....For an unknown amount of period of time(in stassssssissss). probably 20-25 years later, plus Alyx was just a baby during then.

...This has what to do with her having a futuristic jumpsuit?

...This has what to do with her having a futuristic jumpsuit?

Black Mesa happened around the year 2000? so HL2 took place in two decades after that, TWO DECADES later in the future, so its its 2020-2030 around that area I think. Also Half-Life is a Sci-fi medium so a futuristic jump-suit is perfectly fine.

BTW: is'nt Gordon's mk5 H.E.V-Suit Futuristic? What makes Alyx any different?

If its so bad why is MI mod putting it in their mod, :rolleyes:

Black Mesa happened around the year 2000? so HL2 took place in two decades after that, TWO DECADES later in the future, so its its 2020-2030 around that area I think. Also Half-Life is a Sci-fi medium so a futuristic jump-suit is perfectly fine.

Maybe in 25 years of relative peace on earth, fashion will be alot like E3 Alyx, but when an alien evil empire takes control over your planet, puts a hold on baby-making and any other joyful activities, even the most superficial 16-year old's priorities would shift away from looking cool next time she visited her friends in the mall to more practical stuff. IE= Fighting evil superstrong bad dudes is not the time to look your sexiest. Her new outfit might not be all too logical (for example one wonders why Alyx doesn't follow suit and puts on a CP vest like the other rebels) but it sure looks better than that stupid outfit from E3.

And MI seeks out to remake Half-life as it was circa 2003, regardless of what they think of the stuff that was in it.

Umm, an evil alien empire has taken over the planet? Is Alyx going to all of a sudden produce a futuristic jumpsuit? Gordon's HEV suit point is irrelevant, the HEV suit was around in HL1.

And I never said there was anything wrong with it. I liked the look. But, it is a bit cliche and Valve and Laidlaw were intent on making something at least half-original.

but did'nt Dr. Kliener say it was redesigned for Confort & utility.

Adding foam rubber to the crotchal module so it don't clinch in tender areas can hardly be called extensive modifications beyond the capabilites of a physics doctor with 25 years on his hands.

Adding foam rubber to the crotchal module so it don't clinch in tender areas can hardly be called extensive modifications beyond the capabilites of a physics doctor with 25 years on his hands.

Is there a difference here:

Untitled-1-2.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

My point was: Redesigning the HEV suit, a critical piece of field equipment which can, and was used as a very successful weapon against the combine is pretty different from Alxy wearing a stupid cliché tight jumpsuit.

My point was: Redesigning the HEV suit, a critical piece of field equipment which can, and was used as a very successful weapon against the combine is pretty different from Alxy wearing a stupid cliché tight jumpsuit.

Actually Alyx's jumpsuit was supposed to have been a HEV suit. In the leak she could carry grenades, & many other weapons....instead of just a 9mm automatic pistol 'pea shooter' & that hacking device she has.

She could've carried alot of weapons, a whole inventory like Gordon :cheese:.

They pointed out her man's name, man's haircut, fingerless leather gloves, 2000-pound dog, her interest in tinkering with guns and machinery etc etc.
Qualities shared by all lesbians? :sleep:

Qualities shared by all lesbians? :sleep:

seriously.. I saw two lesbians the other day.. one had a 2000 pound dog, and the other was wearing leather gloves with the fingers cut off! ZOOOOMJ!

seriously.. I saw two lesbians the other day.. one had a 2000 pound dog, and the other was wearing leather gloves with the fingers cut off! ZOOOOMJ!
Did either of them have a fully automatic machine pistol?

Alyx is no lesbian. End of discussion.

Nop. Well, you are right. Alyx is quite a tomboy, but not lesbian. You'll know why if you ask Wally Breen. Okay, I say it for him. You can see some girlish behaviors when you look closely at Alyx. She keeps fixing her hair. According to Freudian theory, this subtle self-reflective movement is a preconscious manner of... Oops. In layman's terms, Alyx fixs her hair 'cause she affects you.

Don't forget how in EP1 she hugs Gordon and how she tends to look at him in a weird kind of 'oh, he's staring at me, i'd better look away' kind of looks and the typical holding her forhead thing...

I HAVE A THEORY! Maybe before the combine took over, Alyx HAD all those clothes, and when they took over, good clothing other than this heavy crap that only good is for grabbing ze attantion of some combine, rather, she chose to wear her old -too small- clothing and thus, her jeans are too tight, her shirt is a little small, thus shoeing a small part of her stomach.. and the jacket can sppeak for itself. Obviously, the only available clothing was the... civies. Maybe they were training someone ELSE to work the H.E.V. before Gordon arrived, and they were all OMGF!!! HES HER3!!! GIVE HIM DA HEV CUZ HE IZ MO TWAINED IN IT!!! LAWL!!!.. ...yeah...

By 2025 or whatever year HL2 is, sexual experimentation would likely have gone a lot further than it has even now, and female bisexuality is fairly commonplace in many modern cultures toady. So chances are Alyx is at least bisexual. Whether she would prefer a female humanity-saving hero to Gordon is open to debate, though Gordon is the only humanity-saving hero available at the moment. So he gets her attention.

If there was another fiesty young babe like Alyx running around kicking ass in tight jeans and lavender panties, Gordon might just find himself playing second fiddle to that budding romance.

I wonder, did the suppresion feild only block conception or the urdge to breed or what.

I wonder, did the suppresion feild only block conception or the urdge to breed or what.

didnt Kliener say that it stopped certain protein chains from forming cruical in the conception process. so it would be the former i guess.

The suppresion field must not have stopped all feelings of romance and attraction, because Alyx would be all business with Gordon if it had, not the little flirt/tease that she is.

Yes because when the Combine took over Earth all women had time to put on makeup and shop in trendy Parisian shops like Louis Vuitton in atempt to attract a Theoretical Physicist who uses crowbars, wears a H.E.V. and appears out of the blue 2-3 decades after the BM incident. And you can't imagine how preposterous is the idea of having short hair cause all men who wake from a statis DEMAND a long haired woman who use L'Oreal and other expensive conditioners to maintain a consistent and good looking hair while they use Nivea to stop the skin from aging.
Either that or Gordon's homoerotic adventure in Black Mesa where he only got to talk to Barney (who btw could not stop babbling about beer) and scientists who started crying and moaning everytime a shot or headcrab was in the vicinity.

People would wear or make anything they could get their hands on, Alyx is derived out of the principle of necessity, gloves, tools. And since shopping is not the major attraction in a Combine future, tinkering is probably only one of the good things to do when not shooting down helicopters or Civil Protection. Oh yeah, Alyx is great sidekick and hot.

On another note the suppression field only stopped protein chains from forming, in EP.1 a rebel woman was like "Kliener is saying we can mate now, not that I needed his permission anyway."

ZOMG! My grandma buys Louis Vuitton!!!

Does anyone mind if I use this thread as a spam thread to get my post count up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back