Shacknews Photo Contest Winner!

SMT

Reaction score
http://www.shacknews.com/ja.zz?id=8984078

A Shacker came back with 72 photos of everything from entering the store to finding the game on the shelves to purchasing the game to installing the game. Steve Gibson is getting ahold of Valve with the info now. We'll see if anything happens.

w00000t!!! fingers crossed everyone...

no matter what else comes of this,good for whoever won the cash prize...lucky bastard

T.H.C.138 said:
w00000t!!! fingers crossed everyone...

no matter what else comes of this,good for whoever won the cash prize...lucky bastard

Exactly. $250 of games would be verrry nice.

Did this really need a new thread? We have had atleast 20 made in the past HOUR.

Cool nonetheless. :)

vegeta897 said:
Did this really need a new thread? We have had atleast 20 made in the past HOUR.

Cool nonetheless. :)

It probably didn't, but I'm in a really chipper mood and I wanted to spread the joy.

Not so cool. I don't want the game released early god dammit! 4 more days people jeezus christ...

just curious as to why you don't want it early?

are you waiting on a new component for your PC?

(all I could think of that makes me almost not want it out yet)

lol aparantly there's other pictures of his stuff in there with it like his (girlfriend?)

omfg he's a real person! *runs away*

I don't seem to see 72 photos. Could someone help me out here.

Does anybody notice none of those price tags say Half-life 2 and all of them are cheap cheap cheap?

smash<Steam> said:

Only four are uploaded to AllYourBase's space, AFAIK. But the fellow who took them sent them all to him.

smash<Steam> said:
Me either, only 4.
Looks like shacknews are sure that valve meant the game would be unlocked early then.

Its target... my guess is some idiot saw them and said "oh hey look, half-life... here's half-life², my manager is gonna be so proud i keep this nice and in order here...)

they don't even have the labels up yet for it

Wait - what was the price on that?! 29.99? Is that real? Where's that from?

I'm just curious, seein' as how i bought my copy online in the pre-load. I'm just wondering...

ascii said:
Wait - what was the price on that?! 29.99? Is that real? Where's that from?

I'm just curious, seein' as how i bought my copy online in the pre-load. I'm just wondering...

pounds, dude...right?

Raziaar said:
Does anybody notice none of those price tags say Half-life 2 and all of them are cheap cheap cheap?
most of the tags dont say the games full name

Well this kind of sucks.

If valve unlocks the game now, that means ppl who bought steam get to play it now. But people like me who're getting retail (no CC yet :p) have to wait until the 16th and by then ppl will be like

"OMG I BEAT THE GAME THE ENDING IS THE SUX!!!" or put spoilers in or something.

The only way to please both parties would be to allow stores to sell it early legally.

Guys its just in the WRONG SPOT and doesn't have the real labels up. Some guy just stocked them up there with the wrong labels because he wasn't paying attention and probably just filling a empty spot. It's not selling for that cheap... havn't you ever worked in retail?

aeroripper said:
Guys its just in the WRONG SPOT and doesn't have the real labels up. Some guy just stocked them up there with the wrong labels because he wasn't paying attention and probably just filling a empty spot. It's not selling for that cheap... havn't you ever worked in retail?

I'd hope not to now, working with a bunch of morons! Hehehe.

Yea retail sucks but stuff like that happens all the time, especially in places like target where the electronics section isn't a huge seller for the store so it kind of takes a backseat to other more high priority stuff. Probably have a lot less chance of stuff like that happening in a store like best buy that is centered around electronics\video games and stuff.

Lol, if i were him i would have told the cashier that the label said 29.99 or whatever and get it for that price... i'm a cashier and i get that all the time i just give it to them rather than argue with a old woman over it. :-P

Ever notice that they never change the damn tags at computer stores that sell these type of games? How fricken hard would it be to develop a system for labelling things properly. All of the games listed with the wrong sticker price, with no shrink wrap - maybe not even labeled yet cause they just came in...do you think they do that on purpose? Put a $49 game in a spot that looks like it's a t $29 game? That would be low.

Has anyone else noticed that the receipt says "HALFLIFE" not "Half-Life 2" or anything like that? Weird...

I don't think it's gonig to be unlocked. I can't believe Valve would do this to legit customers - just let people buy a game off a store shelf with no knowledge of the street date and not allow them to play it when they get it home. I shouldn't be surprised - it's not like it's unusual for Valve to screw their customers.

iamaelephant said:
I don't think it's gonig to be unlocked. I can't believe Valve would do this to legit customers - just let people buy a game off a store shelf with no knowledge of the street date and not allow them to play it when they get it home. I shouldn't be supprised - it's not like it's unusual for Valve to screw their customers.
valve didnt let them buy it :rolleyes:

valve didnt let them buy it

He's right... Valve isn't responsible just because a few stores broke the legal street date and shouldn't be obligated to unlock it (unless they were being nice and said they would) which seems to be more of a "pleasantry" and not to be taken seriously.

I think valve should unlock it. People are buying it and the steam people are just waiting. Might as well, whats teh difference? Its been 5 years, just think, theyd be early for a release date, wow.

The Terminator said:
I think valve should unlock it. People are buying it and the steam people are just waiting. Might as well, whats teh difference? Its been 5 years, just think, theyd be early for a release date, wow.
Nah.. Bad idea.. Then alot of people who wanted to buy retail have to wait 'til the 16th. AND I have some hardware coming in, that I want to install before I play HL2.

It's not coming out early people, stop making threads or speculating about it.

It would be nice to have the weekend to play through it.....

Got my fingers crossed.

It might come early, and why would retail people have to wait ill the 16th?? The whole point they would unlock it now is because retail stores are selling it now.

If Valve have a shred of ethics they will unlock the game. There are average-Joe-six-packs out there buying this game with absolutely no knowledge of this whole release date fiasco, who are obviously going to be extremely pissed off that they can't play a game they just shelled out $50-$60 for.

vegeta897 said:
Nah.. Bad idea.. Then alot of people who wanted to buy retail have to wait 'til the 16th. AND I have some hardware coming in, that I want to install before I play HL2.

It's not coming out early people, stop making threads or speculating about it.

even if half life 2 was released early, you do realize you could still wait for the new hardware to come in before playing :O

iamaelephant said:
If Valve have a shred of ethics they will unlock the game. There are average-Joe-six-packs out there buying this game with absolutely no knowledge of this whole release date fiasco, who are obviously going to be extremely pissed off that they can't play a game they just shelled out $50-$60 for.
Hmm.. Good point...

Chance of Valve unlocking tonight: 15%
" " " " tomorrow: 25%
" " " " Sunday: 25%

This is getting very exciting...

iamaelephant said:

Yeah.

I really haven't thought about the casual gamers out there that don't follow all this nonsense.

It would suck to buy it and take it home and not be able to play it! They're gonna be pissed.

Valve isnt going to unlock early. get over it guys.

I bet you $1,000 that it will be unlocked in 4 days.
Who cares if HL2 is unlocked early or not, we still get to play it this year.

iamaelephant said:
If Valve have a shred of ethics they will unlock the game.
Valve is not liable for stupid retailers and certainly shouldn't reward stupidity, when everybody else buying retail is still going to have to wail 'till the 16th. And Valve certainly shouldn't create legal woe for themselves.

IMO Valve has great ethics.. just look at the quality of game they produce.
vegeta897 said:
Chance of Valve unlocking tonight [through] Sunday:
0%

Back