should a geforce 3 be playable for half life 2

Wilson502

Reaction score
ya i got a p4 2.4 533 fsb, 768 mb ddr ram pc 2700 ram, and a geforce 3 ti 500 video card. I do planning on upgrading to a radeon 9800 in the near future, the radeon 9800 XT doesnt seem like much of a boost. So lets say a 1024x768 with medium to high details, any estimates on fps?
Dont flame me, any thoughtful input would be nice:cheese:

im not talkin bout having every single detail at max, but a good amount amount of features on, or just at a medium level of details

Originally posted by Wilson502
im not talkin bout having every single detail at max, but a good amount amount of features on, or just at a medium level of details

No one will be able to answer this question with any degree of precision but you should be safe in the knowledge that you'll be able to run Half-Life 2.

Unless you are deciding whether to upgrade and are basing that decision on the FPS you get with Half-Life 2, you're better off just waiting for the game to see how it performs.

Valves answer is yes. You can play it on really really low end systems. Like 700 mhz with a pre-geforce 1 card or something. However, I think most people (includeing me) are skeptical so IMO the answer is more like: no one really knows how "playable" it will be on the older systems.

i was planning on waiting till the prices of radeon 9800 pros come down, i just hope hl 2 doesnt run like a slide show

i was planning on waiting till the prices of radeon 9800 pros come down, i just hope hl 2 doesnt run like a slide show

It won't. You are well above the Minimum specs.

You could always use it for power point presentations

I could get a Thermal RIght SLK-900U, with a Vantec 92mm tornado fan, and overclock my 2.4 well over 3ghz, problem is i would need a fan controller cause those fans are loud!

geforce3

I don't think you will be getting a very good visual. I'm taking a flying leap here, but since you are on this board, I'd guess that you are very interested in the game. Adn if you're interested enough to follow it on a message board, chances are you'll probably want to play it out in the best possible environment. Chance are, GF3 isn't the best possible card to give you that best environment. I'm not saying you SHOULD go out and buy the 9800, because that's a chunk of change...but if you are able to afford it, a more current 128mb video card will only run about $100 or so and will make a giant difference. But not everybody has a c note to fiddle around with.

Then of course, if you're machine is older, that's another ballgame.

crumbles

John Carmack said that their DooM III will be playable at 800x600 on a GeForce 3 with everything set to high quality. Go figure.

Re: geforce3

Originally posted by crumbles
I don't think you will be getting a very good visual. I'm taking a flying leap here, but since you are on this board, I'd guess that you are very interested in the game. Adn if you're interested enough to follow it on a message board, chances are you'll probably want to play it out in the best possible environment. Chance are, GF3 isn't the best possible card to give you that best environment. I'm not saying you SHOULD go out and buy the 9800, because that's a chunk of change...but if you are able to afford it, a more current 128mb video card will only run about $100 or so and will make a giant difference. But not everybody has a c note to fiddle around with.

Then of course, if you're machine is older, that's another ballgame.

crumbles

chances are you don't know what you're talking about...and neither do any of us regarding this topic. he'll just have to get the game/benchmark to see what kind of performance he'll get.

hell the ti 4600 scored almost 50 fps at 1024x768 with max details on, i dont plan on playing with max details on

Originally posted by Yatta
John Carmack said that their DooM III will be playable at 800x600 on a GeForce 3 with everything set to high quality. Go figure.

laughable

I Think there should be a sticky thread explaining the MINIMUM specs to the RECOMENDED!

Your PC is fine.

Aw hell. I should probably read the beginning post all the way through before I start mouthing off.

Your machine is fine. If you're going to buy a 9800 anyway, why not buy it in time for HL2?

crumbles

i want to wait for the radeon 9800 pros to drop below $300 before ill buy one

Any word on upcoming NVIDIA cards? I can see dozens of white-coat lab technicians bumping into each other over at their labs, scrambling to design a new card to compete with ATI's dx 9 support.

hell ut2k3 doesnt run that great at 1024x768 with high details, i average bout 30-60 or so fps depending on location

>chances are you don't know what you're talking about...and neither do >any of us regarding this topic. he'll just have to get the >game/benchmark to see what kind of performance he'll get.

Chances are....I could be wrong, but I'm probably right...which is why I said "chances are". So settle.

>ti 4600 scored almost 50 fps at 1024x768 with max details on, i dont >plan on playing with max details on

excellent, excellent. I've got at ti4400...so things will look very nice.
"Chances are" you could probably buy a ti4600 for pretty cheap to tide you over until you buy the 9800....but why not just buy it in time for HL if you are going to buy it sometime anyway?

crumbles

why would i want to spend $150 on a video card to hold me over? im not made of money you kno.

I dont have a job right now, but i am gonna start working for my dad soon, i do have some money in the bank, but i got to start payin for gas, and car insurance, plus i go to school, once i get more money, ill just buy a 9800 pro, by the time november or so rolls around the 9800 pros should be below the 300 mark

>chances are you don't know what you're talking about...and neither do >any of us regarding this topic. he'll just have to get the >game/benchmark to see what kind of performance he'll get.

Chances are....I could be wrong, but I'm probably right...which is why I said "chances are". So settle.

>ti 4600 scored almost 50 fps at 1024x768 with max details on, i dont >plan on playing with max details on

excellent, excellent. I've got at ti4400...so things will look very nice.
"Chances are" you could probably buy a ti4600 for pretty cheap to tide you over until you buy the 9800....but why not just buy it in time for HL if you are going to buy it sometime anyway?

crumbles

Don't forget, us GF4 owners will be missing a few visual tricks like the overbrightness and wet look.

Well, there's your answer, right there. Good luck on everything.

crumbles

>Don't forget, us GF4 owners will be missing a few visual tricks like the >overbrightness and wet look.

Yeah, but whatcha gonna do? $350-400 bucks IS an extravagance. Just for the wet look. Which is pretty sweet. But 400 dollars is 400 dollars.

as of now i have bout 700 in the bank, but i cant buy it right now because my dad doesnt want me spending it quite yet until i have a job, besides the 9800 XT comes out soon, so that should drop the prices on the 9800 pro

>Don't forget, us GF4 owners will be missing a few visual tricks like the >overbrightness and wet look.

Yeah, but whatcha gonna do? $350-400 bucks IS an extravagance. Just for the wet look. Which is pretty sweet. But 400 dollars is 400 dollars.

I agree, that's why I'm still using a GF4 ;)

>as of now i have bout 700 in the bank, but i cant buy it right now >because my dad doesnt want me spending it quite yet until i have a >job, besides the 9800 XT comes out soon, so that should drop the >prices on the 9800 pro

uh...yeah...definately wait on that. the video card is not a life priority for you at this point in life. But check out that ebay...there's a coupla 9800 pro's going for about $200. Chances are they'll go down a bit in November too.

Good luck again.

crumbles

thats pretty low end as far as graphics cards go. You really are going to want a DX9 card to get the most out of the newest games coming out for the holiday season.

ya its hard to believe ive almost had the geforce 3 for almost 2 years

also keep your eyes peeled on ebay for radeon 9700s or 9700 pros, because there are always those who will upgrade their 9700 to get a 9800 or whatever the newest one is on the 30th.

hell even the 9700s are a year old now, they still run games pretty well

Would a geforce 2 and and a duron 1000 be able to get my around 60-60fps at 640x480 with mostly lowest details? All i really need is FPS, i can live without the sexyiness i spose?

you probably wont be able to, if u had a faster cpu u might, with low resoultions is more cpu bound than video card bound, at high resoultions its more video card bound than cpu

>thats pretty low end as far as graphics cards go. You really are going >to want a DX9 card to get the most out of the newest games coming >out for the holiday season.

That's what I was saying. GF3 is pretty low end. But Wilson's financial sityooation could be better....it doesn't look like he'll be able to get anything until November. Which is too bad.

If I were him...in terms of gameplay, I'd stay away from hl2 altogether(sweet jeebus, did I say that?) until he got a hold of a better card.

In terms of life experience though, he might want to reassess whether playing halflife is a that much of a priority...(sweet jeebus again)

crumbles

Fuzzy's just being a dope...thar ain't no way he's made it too zombie with a gf2...:}

Back