should gym in high school be mandatory?

should gym be mandatory in high school?

• yes

Votes: 91 69.5%
  • no

Votes: 63 48.1%

• Total voters
thats why making it mandatory would be a good thing, because then the out-of-shape kids would have to be physically active too.
One's health is one's own responsibility, not the school's. If fat kids want to take up two seats on an airplane that's there choice. (I'm not fat, by the way. I do jogging and Wudang Tai Chi Chuan lessons from a former British champion).

Fat people are an eye sore. Lose weight, or be exterminated.

Yes.

Americans are too fat as it is.

shut up solaris. I think everyones had enough of your anti american propaganda being posted in just about every page of every thread of every forum. I think it's about time the moderators start stepping in to put an end to your constant trolling.

And this thread isn't even about america. Once again proving your intent to troll and get people arguing.

In case anyone needs reminders, here are some examples of his highly thought out and complex posts

America really is the end of the world. If you guys don't vote left damn soon, man. Climate change could kill us all, if not that, war will, probably started by the USA.

I can see America causing the end of the world within 100 years. You burn so much greenhouse gas, use so much energy, kill so many people with your foriegn policy. I think a revolution, a worldwide revolution is nessacary very soon or else humanity will be doomed.

The USA is ruled by the rich who inflict poverty and oppresision on its own citizens and thoose across the world. This must be stopped. Peaceful means are preferable, but if things escalate so be it, it's for the greater good.

I would support a violent revolution in the USA .....

(all of these were posted in a thread that wasn't even about america/USA, funny how that happened isnt it)

Dude, face the music (Zeuz)

Over %70 of Americans are Obese, I completely agree with Sol. (BTW This is not Reviving a thread to all you Nay sayers of me)

And in Canada, Gym isn't neccissary in Grade 12, thankfully. But Sex ed is (We all know about Teh Sechs)

Dude, face the music (Zeuz)

Over %70 of Americans are Obese, I completely agree with Sol. (BTW This is not Reviving a thread to all you Nay sayers of me)

And in Canada, Gym isn't neccissary in Grade 12, thankfully. But Sex ed is (We all know about Teh Sechs)

BTW Do you have a link to your source that over 70% of americans are obese? Or are you just pulling that statistic out of your ass like a lot of people here *cough*solaris*cough* seem to do. Until you provide me a valid, reasonable link to a source Im calling bullshit. I have been around most of the states in the U.S. and whatever the "statistics" say, I assure you that what you hear on these "reliable" sources (such as prisonplanet and sensationalist media) is bullshit. It's not like the stereotype, go everywhere and see fat people. Only idiots assume all/most americans are fat. I love how some people don't live in america and try to act like they know whats all going on in here (people like solaris.. "the american police are brutal!" lol)

You live in canada, stop acting like you're an everyday United States citizen who actually knows what he's talking about.

Whos going to keep the fatties in shape if there aint no gym?

Over %70 of Americans are Obese, I completely agree with Sol.

Dude, according to a 2004 National Geographic article, 31.9% of Americans are obese. Wikipedia says that for 2003 - 2004, the percentage for adults over 20 years old was 32.2% and for children aged 2 - 17 years old it was 17.1.

Your wrong, dude, just plain wrong.

The worst thing about gym/PE is that you have to do the things you're told to do, even if you don't enjoy them. All we did was long distance running and football, both i hated so i just got my mum to write a letter every week. Now if we did something like hockey or weights or rugby, that would of been fantastic.

BTW Do you have a link to your source that over 70% of americans are obese? Or are you just pulling that statistic out of your ass like a lot of people here *cough*solaris*cough* seem to do. Until you provide me a valid, reasonable link to a source Im calling bullshit. I have been around most of the states in the U.S. and whatever the "statistics" say, I assure you that what you hear on these "reliable" sources (such as prisonplanet and sensationalist media) is bullshit. It's not like the stereotype, go everywhere and see fat people. Only idiots assume all/most americans are fat. I love how some people don't live in america and try to act like they know whats all going on in here (people like solaris.. "the american police are brutal!" lol)

You live in canada, stop acting like you're an everyday United States citizen who actually knows what he's talking about.

......Either way, it's quite clear there are far too many overweight people in the USA.

By whose standards? The skinny people! It's obviously a biased opinion. :)

Yes and No

Yes because exercise is good.

No because PE teachers suck at setting up decent plans and it ends up being an hour and a half of sitting around or doing ineffective workouts.

It's good because you can try things you might never try and never find out you like them. But it sucks if the teacher is an ass and if some people take it too seriously. Perhaps they could group students like 'unathletic losers', 'sport fanatics' etc. so there wouldnt be so much friction..

It's good because you can try things you might never try and never find out you like them. But it sucks if the teacher is an ass and if some people take it too seriously. Perhaps they could group students like 'unathletic losers', 'sport fanatics' etc. so there wouldnt be so much friction..

How would gym be fun though if you were seperated from the "unathletic losers". I loved tossing them in the air playing rugby, smashing them down playing lacrosse etc..

Nope :p scientific standards i.e your unhealthy if your above or below a certain band of weights.

incorrect. You're not taking into account muscle mass. You're telling me that a relatively short, muscular health fanatic who eats right and excersizes daily would be unhealthy because they have a higher weight than an average guy at the same height? That's a load of b.s, and its exactly why the BMI system doesn't work. To say "you're unhealthy because you have a high weight" (or something along those lines) is very ignorant and uninformed.

......Either way, it's quite clear there are far too many overweight people in the USA.

Far too many people are over weight in every developed country.

And by the way, technically obese is a lot worse than overweight, but I won't be too picky about it; I still know what you mean. I don't want to descend into a war of terminology.

No :sleep:

Some people are just not into sports and physical fitness, so let them be.

I dont mind if some medium sized people dont excercise, but the ones that weight 200 pounds of fat needs to go gym at school at least once every two days.

No :sleep:

Some people are just not into sports and physical fitness, so let them be.

how many pages back was this? well update, gym is not so bad, i got my schedule changed so i can take all the classes i want, and im actually enjoying gym so yay! :bounce:

I graduated HS in 1996. Back then 1 PE class was mandatory per year. But we had a few different PE classes. We had the general "gym" class, weight lifting, toning/exercise, swimming, general health/fitness, etc. So we had a few choices to pick from.

I graduated HS in 1996. Back then 1 PE class was mandatory per year. But we had a few different PE classes. We had the general "gym" class, weight lifting, toning/excersice, swimming, general health/fitness, etc. So we had a few choices to pick from.

That's how ours was..but "general" was easiest..because the teachers were coaches for sports teams, and they really didn't care, as long as their team was doing shit...I basically just did nothing, and passed with A's every time.

Back