silencer

mikey388

Reaction score
Just wondering does using the silencer affect the accuracy/power of the weapon?

Accuracy- no
Power- yes

A lot of people seem to think its more accurate with the silencer on, but this is purely psychological afaik.
They do less damage though.

I'm not 100% about accuracy, but I *think* it reduces your recoil a little bit.
The damage definitely goes down, however.

Actually, I just did some reading, and it seems that if the silencer does anything accuracy-wise, it makes the weapon more inaccurate (it at least did that in the upgrade to beta 6.5)

In real life, a silencer makes a weapon less accurate (it reduces energy and creates unequal barrel vibrations) a silencer doesn't function like a barrel extension.

I didn't know it made it less powerful. I knew it made it less accurate because the crosshairs get bigger when you put it on :)

silencer:
less noise +
less power -
less accurate -
less recoil +

The colt with the silencor is coo for long range, but I prefer to take it off in close quarters, same with the usp.

bliink said:
In real life, a silencer makes a weapon less accurate (it reduces energy and creates unequal barrel vibrations) a silencer doesn't function like a barrel extension.

Not true. Hardly any silencers reduce the energy of the bullet, the only exception I can think of is the intregrated suppressor on the MP5SD models, which is specifically designed to reduce the muzzle velocity of standard ammunition to subsonic. Most suppressors actually increase muzzle velocity a little bit; they allow the powder to burn more completely in the baffles behind the bullet, so it does, in fact, act a little like a barrel extension.

Using a suppressor (on a pistol especially) reduces the muzzle rise and recoil (big weight on the end of the barrel), which lets you get back on target a lot faster and reduces muscle tremors. The only one I can speak for personally is the USP Tactical .45 with the SWR HEMS suppressor. I noticed a big difference with the suppressor. I've heard people say that about plenty of other pistol and suppressor combinations, too; here is what some people say from their experience with the KAC suppressor and their Mark 23s: http://www.mark23.com/mark23-cgi/forum/simpleforum?SF_Mode=2&Msg=166.post

Everyone agrees about the less damage. But from my experience I concluded that it's also less accurate. I also tested it on AIM maps against bots. When I put my crosshair right at their heads, I almost always get a headshot without silencer, and like 50% of the times with silencer. I also noticed that the 1st shot(s) of an AK and M4 are MORE accurate when you're standing than when you're crouched. But it could just be me. Eversince I use unsilenced m4 without crouching when trying to give an unaware person a headshot, my headshots/kills ratio increased alot...

DeathIncarnate said:
Everyone agrees about the less damage. But from my experience I concluded that it's also less accurate. I also tested it on AIM maps against bots. When I put my crosshair right at their heads, I almost always get a headshot without silencer, and like 50% of the times with silencer. I also noticed that the 1st shot(s) of an AK and M4 are MORE accurate when you're standing than when you're crouched. But it could just be me. Eversince I use unsilenced m4 without crouching when trying to give an unaware person a headshot, my headshots/kills ratio increased alot...

Very true, also your right on about the standing thing. Now that I stopped even semi spraying with m4 and ak, i almost never crouch because I really feel alot more accurate standing. I get more headshots and they are easier as I dont have to aim up or down. Just keep the crosshair level.

I'm pretty sure it it less accurate as well, it seems like the crosshairs take longer to recover after firing a few rounds. It also makes it weak to the point that depending on range, a headshot won't kill. The only time I ever use the silencer is if I'm trying to be silent, before they made the stupid "weapon switching cancels silencing" thing I would always remove it as soon as someone spotted me. Now I just leave it off most of the time.

I find a weapon is less accurate with it off but more powerful at closer ranges. Recoil increases with it off but improves with it on, the silencer is made for long-range fighting.

MilkMan12 said:
Very true, also your right on about the standing thing. Now that I stopped even semi spraying with m4 and ak, i almost never crouch because I really feel alot more accurate standing. I get more headshots and they are easier as I dont have to aim up or down. Just keep the crosshair level.

The only downside is that you're an easier target when standing. But hey, who cares about m4???!!! KNIFEPOWERRRRRRR!!!!!!!! :devil: :devil: :devil:

With the M4A1-

Without Silencer: Mostly vertical spread, as in the AK, but less pronounced recoil.
With Silencer: Circular spread patern, like with the MP5, with similar recoil to the MP5.

it'd be cool if the knife had a silencer because i hate getting killed when I pull out the knife to knife someone and have them turn around and fill me with holes

also they should mod it so you can have throwing knives like in goldeneye lol, and show them sticking in the body, that'd be hot

seems like no1 is reading the earlier posts :) many similar replys

Back