Sin Episodes CES '06 Trailer from 1up.com

Sui

Tank
Reaction score
Think back to the old Half-Life 2 movies that gave us our very first snippets of the Source engine. Everything was so carefully calculated, so painstakingly perfect. The level of detail displayed in the movies, from the subtle glisten of Gordon’s crowbar to the setting sun that doused the landscape in a warm glow, was profound. In comparison, you could say that this early video of Sin Episodes- the next Steam-distributed FPS to use Source technology- is a little rough around the edges. It never slows to let you absorb the surroundings, instead propelling you through the levels frantically. Indeed, the recent Sin Episodes trailer isn’t like the earlier Half-Life 2 videos that stunned the gaming community… it’s actually better. Just 100% action from start to finish, and damn it makes you want to jump into the game. [br] [br] Now, I could sit here for hours and just type about how the weapons look and sound so satisfying to shoot, how the enemies keel over in pain if shot in a leg, how the firefights are a rush of brilliant explosions decorated with bursts of gunfire… but I think you should just watch the damn video for yourself. So don’t let me stop you; go and download it from 1up.com. The link is below. 1up.com have even been lucky enough to play the game for themselves, and have subsequently released an article. Be sure to read it here.

Saw this over at sinepisodes.net

Looks mighty impressive, can't wait for it's release.

And no, Blade does not have three hands.

Before anyone complains about the crappy AI: the AI in Sin: Episodes adapts to your playing style. The better you are at the game, the AI gets smarter and vice versa. They probably loaded the maps through the console to make that video quickly and the AI defaulted to its lowest level.

Read the first response

Veotax said:
Before anyone complains about the crappy AI: the AI in Sin: Episodes adapts to your playing style. The better you are at the game, the AI gets smarter and vice versa. They probably loaded the maps through the console to make that video quickly and the AI defaulted to its lowest level.

Read the first response

You're setting yourself up for disappointment. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'll believe in better AI when I see it. We all know about the combine-door-kicking scripting fiasco.

HL2 turned out fantastic despite the lackluster AI.

Huh...those are some really weird ragdolls. I really like the details in the car and all the stuff you can open in it. For the vehicle parts of HL2 I wish someone else would drive while I just shoot so I wouldn't have such a headache. That new Alexis Sincalir model looks sweet.

what the hell is that third hand doing there?????

The only thing that keeps reminding me it's the source engine, is that when something explodes nearby you, you get exactly the same sound as in HL2.

well the download links doesn`t work, may someone can post a mirror...

THX

Looking good. Looking good. Ill be buying this for sure.

I think it looks quite bad really... especially the animations. I played Sin when it first came out, was good for it's time.. but this is far from matching HL2.

Looks great. Fast gameplay and awesome looking weapons.

However the area which you face that big mutant in looks really quite, boss arena. It is obviously meant to but it really does look crap. It doesn't blend with the enviroment at all.

And the dialouge is terrible. Truly terrible. I hope that gets sorted.
'I always get what I want.' Ugh.

Blade's hands are unrealistic. No, not a pun, I mean how he whacks stuff and tosses his shotgun in the air, making it spin..? They really didn't have to do that. The mapping is impressive, though, and the explosions and health spray are sweet effects.

Samon said:
And the dialouge is terrible. Truly terrible. I hope that gets sorted.
'I always get what I want.' Ugh.
You won't get the dialogue sorted afaik they have pretty much finished the voice recording work. I don't mind the dialogue however I think it fits well with Sin.

FictiousWill said:
You're setting yourself up for disappointment. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'll believe in better AI when I see it. We all know about the combine-door-kicking scripting fiasco.
I'm not saying the AI will be F.E.A.R. beatingly brilliant, I'm saying it won't be as crap as it was in the video

the face posing is ****ed and incompite (atleast in that old guy scane).
and the tone dosent match the situation.

nutcrackr said:
You won't get the dialogue sorted afaik they have pretty much finished the voice recording work. I don't mind the dialogue however I think it fits well with Sin.
Eh...I also think the voice acting sounds terrible and unrealistic. It just doesn't sound like the way people actually talk.

My honest opinion is that I wasn't too impressed. I sort of wanted to like it, but I just didn't. I didn't like the fact that there was something to blow up around every turn. I also didn't like that it seems like they drew too much inspiration from HL2. And the level design seemed wonky and lame in some places. Specifically that boss area that was already talked about. How cheesy did those breakable walls look? That was really the worst part. Lastly, what about when that semi truck drove down that alleyway? That looked like it was a scripted effect for a game made 6 years ago. Looked like it was on rails and not realistic at all. That's all the ranting I'll do today. :)

Specifically that boss area that was already talked about. How cheesy did those breakable walls look? That was really the worst part. Lastly, what about when that semi truck drove down that alleyway? That looked like it was a scripted effect for a game made 6 years ago. Looked like it was on rails and not realistic at all. That's all the ranting I'll do today.
PLACEHOLDERS

Veotax said:
PLACEHOLDERS
Then why put them in the trailer?
Wasn't really impressive at all, i'll really have to think if I want to buy this or not...

wow, you kids sound alot like the steampowered forums ppl..

Looks ace.
Shure, it remains me of hl2.
How is that a bad thing?

.bog.

Looks fun, just hope they can fix some of the animations on the weapons then I'll be pleased. :)

2Fast4U said:
Then why put them in the trailer?
Wasn't really impressive at all, i'll really have to think if I want to buy this or not...
...its not a trailer. It's a three week old video that was shown to the press (it was made three weeks ago but only released recently). Some Ritual staff have said that there will be a real trailer with the more up to date stuff in it

nutcrackr said:
HL2 turned out fantastic despite the lackluster AI.
No it didn't! It was okay.

(I sometimes wonder if there are 2 Half Life 2's & I've been playing a different one to everyone else!! It's just not that good!)

I'm sorry, is this a new game, or HL2 with some new models? It reminds me why I thought hl2 was so average. It's looks so forced.

Wow, this HL2 mod is awesome! It just looks so professional. That new helicopter looks really nice, but they could've at least tried to alter Highway 17 instead of using the exact same map. I also love the different model for the Antlion Queen boss, having it engulfed in flames was a nice touch. Oh, and there's the new skins for the zombies and headcrabs in the sewer level... they're high quality! ;) I wasn't so impressed with the changes they made to the combine, though, the skins and animation didn't work too well for me, nor did the mod team seem to retool the AI at all. But as far as mods go, this is definitely up there among the most exciting!

bigdeezy23 said:
Wow, this HL2 mod is awesome! It just looks so professional. That new helicopter looks really nice, but they could've at least tried to alter Highway 17 instead of using the exact same map. I also love the different model for the Antlion Queen boss, having it engulfed in flames was a nice touch. Oh, and there's the new skins for the zombies and headcrabs in the sewer level... they're high quality! ;) I wasn't so impressed with the changes they made to the combine, though, the skins and animation didn't work too well for me, nor did the mod team seem to retool the AI at all. But as far as mods go, this is definitely up there among the most exciting!

/ignore

It looks pretty good. But it deffinately is far from complete. Soime of the models and sounds came directly from hl2. The iron beam that crashed through the fence (which is a blatent copy of hl2's iron beam crashing through the gate) is one such model. Plus I think I heard parts of the 'zombie on fire' sounds. Not the whole thing, but like they cut bits of it and used them.

Needs a lot of work still to polish off... currently looks like VTM: Bloodlines in terms of quality at this point. Hopefully they make it work in the end.

Why CES? I thought the whole "to see and play upcoming games, check out CES" thing was replaced back in the 90's by "to see and play upcoming games, get your ass to E3".

Unlike Half Life 2, this game doesn't interest me.
=\

bigdeezy23 said:

hahahahaha

I gots to see this. Some of the screens impressed me, some did kinda look like mod screens. No matter, they'll sell a few hundred thousand units no matter what it is

dogboy73 said:
No it didn't! It was okay.

(I sometimes wonder if there are 2 Half Life 2's & I've been playing a different one to everyone else!! It's just not that good!)

I sometimes wonder if people are aware of that fantastic little word! Can you guess it?!?! Opinion! Winner!
This is a Sineps thread. Not about how good HL2 was.

No, you don't have to pay for it. However, if you want to play it, then you have to pay for it.

doesnt look worth buying ... yeah it looks ok somewhat fun .. but nothing that great or new just look like any other HL2 mod i think ill save me money on this one

Back