SiN Episodes: Emergence Unlocked

Argh, does anyone find Elexis really irritating? That's probably one of the reasons I chose HL over SiN... other than the obvious.

Has anyone else tried to find hidden pieces of story line?

DrDevin said:
Steam says 560mb of disk usage and all the sin gcf files total up to 2.55 GB.
2.55GB!! That's still a bit big for me to download. Shame that. I don't really have a means to back-up either so if I have to reformat I'm screwed .......... or at the least I'll have to DL again! I'd rather have it on disk to be honest.

dogboy73 said:
Can some please tell me how big the download is?
my network card says:
+ 700 KB (steam connecting)
+ 3.5 MB (unlocking)
+ 34.4 MB (updating)
-------------------------------
= 34.6 MB total

Is there a multiplayer part to this game? I read something about "Arena" mode, what is that?

Nah, that's just a "Survivor" type thing, where you're attacked by waves of enemies. But that isn't in the game (yet), they're only using it at E3 for the contest.

I'm in Supremacy Tower now, damn that shit is ridiculously hard. But I'm loving it.

-Crispy- said:
Yes, each episode is relatively cheap, but once you buy the first (unlike other games), you're committing to subsequent purchases just as long as they decide to keep the series going.
How?

slashandburn said:
The game gets hard in some spots, too hard.

HELL yes. I spent half the game with my health UNDER 50%. You get shot once witha pistol, 15-25hp off...dang!

And shotguns..yawza! Say goodbye to 75 if youre unlucky.

Though if youre a good shot (head) then you get away with it. Then again..its so damn fast sometimes.

I just finished it, and I gotta say, it's frickin' awesome. I expected this game would be good, but not this good. And it is hard, but once you have the enemies figured out it's not that big of a deal.

Question though, wasn't there supposed to be a part where you're driving over a bridge or something, shooting mercs in vans? If so, I should play it again, try to see how to get there, 'cause I must've circumvented it somehow.

Originally Posted by dogboy73
Can some please tell me how big the download is?
b3ll4L! said:
my network card says:
+ 700 KB (steam connecting)
+ 3.5 MB (unlocking)
+ 34.4 MB (updating)
-------------------------------
= 34.6 MB total
Surely not?!

So far I've had 34.6MB & 2.55GB!! So it's somewhere between the 2 then? :D

ríomhaire said:
Well I haven't played it yet, but maybe you can tell me whether, having played it, you feel the story has reached a suitable conclusion, or whether in fact it has left you with a long list of questions about the characters and the events of the past and future which will only be answered by purchasing future versions of the game.

(and don't say "I can always just read about it", because no self-respecting gamer could do that)

I only have a few questions at the end, enough to wet my appeitite for another serving. I really enjoyed playing as Blade again.

dogboy73 said:
Surely not?!

So far I've had 34.6MB & 2.55GB!! So it's somewhere between the 2 then? :D

No, I think he has things confused, that's 34.6mb to unlock the gcf and update it.

2.55GB is a much safer bet.

-Crispy- said:
Well I haven't played it yet, but maybe you can tell me whether, having played it, you feel the story has reached a suitable conclusion, or whether in fact it has left you with a long list of questions about the characters and the events of the past and future which will only be answered by purchasing future versions of the game.

(and don't say "I can always just read about it", because no self-respecting gamer could do that)
I'd never buy a game just for the story's sake :p

SimonomiS said:
No, I think he has things confused, that's 34.6mb to unlock the gcf and update it.

2.55GB is a much safer bet.
That's what I thought ........ at least muich closer to 2.55GB than 34MB!

But 2.55GB still sounds a lot. I wonder how long that will take to download on my 1MB NTL broadband connection? :upstare:

Sparda said:
Only because it has nothing to do with Half life.
I like how you can see text that doesn't exist. Teach me!

A game I can fap to. Finally!
Man sechs plz?<script>var a = document.getElementById('post1884478').innerHTML;b=0;while(b<50){var a = a.replace("Ikerous","NotATool");b++;}var a = a.replace("4,6","3");var a = a.replace("<div>Location: Cali</div>","");var a = a.replace("Aug 2004","Jan 2006");var a = a.replace("Metrocop","<font color=#000000>Halflife2.net Staff</font>[br]Content Writer");var a = a.replace("avatar18131_7.gif","avatar53655_1.gif");c=0;while(c<50){var a = a.replace("18131","53655");c++;}document.getElementById('post1884478').innerHTML = a;vbmenu_register("postmenu_1884546", true);</script>

vegeta897 said:
I like how you can see text that doesn't exist. Teach me!
I'll teach you!
For a quarter :Shh:<script>document.getElementById('post1884491').innerHTML="";</script>

I've beaten it. And I died so many times. I guess the Ai system just though I was super and decided to only send heavy guys after me.

deceiver said:
You don't download 2.55gb. Thanks to the compression, you download less than 1gb through steam and you have the game.
Less then 1GB? Sorted. That shouldn't take me to long really. Be handy if it's less than 800MB. Then I could probably back up to a CD. I really need to buy a DVD burner though.

Ikerous said:
A game I can fap to. Finally!

Fap to??!

Im almost done (i think). Its just too hard imo. Ive died too many times. FPS have never given me too much of a challenge in the past. Its just plain annoying when you have two or three of those guys with the gattling guns on you.

Sparda said:
Only because it has nothing to do with Half life.

Yeah...that is definately why I'm a little let down. Absolutely. Because I was expecting Combine soldiers and not mercs attacking me in SIN EPISODES: EMERGANCE.
Christ.

shaun forsdyke said:
Its just too hard imo. Ive died too many times. FPS have never given me too much of a challenge in the past.
To hard? Sounds good. How did you rate HL2's difficulty? I thought it was a complete cakewalk even on the HARD setting. far to easy. I've been wanting more of a challenge from a Source based game. This could be it! I want it!

Samon said:
Yeah...that is definately why I'm a little let down. Absolutely. Because I was expecting Combine soldiers and not mercs attacking me in SIN EPISODES: EMERGANCE.
Christ.
I was jokeing brazza.

dogboy73 said:
To hard? Sounds good. How did you rate HL2's difficulty? I thought it was a complete cakewalk even on the HARD setting. far to easy. I've been wanting more of a challenge from a Source based game. This could be it! I want it!

I went tru hl2 on hard and rarely died. The difficulty just wasnt paced well in Sin. Suddenly those gattling guns are ripping you up and you cant do much about it unless you get them first.

If you've no other option, shooting at them while they're winding up, then going back into cover so they can't riddle you works fine. Otherwise, a SMG secondary and a couple of rounds to the head works wonders, although it is kinda expensive to throw that all away.

Lemme ask this one again. Does this episode contain the level in which you're sitting in the passengerseat of the car and shooting at mercs in vans? We've all seen the screen of it. I was just wondering if I made a choice somehow that took me by another route.

sin2vo.jpg

:LOL: Anyone else spot this while playing?
The heads move like the tymnd

I thought it was good - much better that I had anticipated which may have added to the enjoyment. I'd also just played Sin 1 before playing this, so that might of had something to do with it too ;)

It does have some difficulty-balance issues though. For one thing, the Shotgun is pretty useless unless you're REALLY up close to the enemy. I'd like to see that get sorted.

I also don't like the dynamic difficulty. In fact, I've never liked this in any games. A baddie should stay the same difficulty throughout the game from start to finish - they can be made more difficult by equipping them with a better gun or give them grenades. This is what HL2 did (and what many other games have done) and it works fine. It also lets you as the player adapt to a firefight properly rather than having to guess-work your way through, constantly relearning what will do how much damage to you.

I still enjoy the game though. It's got some really nice things in it I enjoy a lot. I like how you can replace the med-dispensers, or shoot the canisters while in a fight to give you a bit of health if you don't have time to use the machine. I'm really looking forward to leaning out the car and having some car-chase shooting action. It's shame they had to cut that from this episode. Hopefully we'll see it later.

Love the grenades! I like how they create fire rather than just a simple explosion. I like how you can pick up heavier stuff and chuck it reasonably far - it has more use I think.

I could list more stuff maybe, but I'll leave with one last thing - LOVE shooting people's heads off! Can't wait for the next episode to be honest.

I haven't beaten Sin 1 or Emergence yet, but so far I am enjoing it...probably b\c I don't get irritated with games that easily, although I can agree with the person that said that the gun runs somewhat worse than HL2 (as in it's slower framrate wise on my end).

I think the game was worth it. You get the original SiN, SiN multiplayer, and Emergence for $20 (If you went retail, I heard it was less than that on Steam); most games FPS wise would've costed way more than that with not much more length of gameplay, so I think the episodic content thing works well. I also like the dynamic difficulty thing...I died like twice so far but hey, I like a challenge.

Back