Sleep deprivation.

-Viper- said:
And so the visions begin...

Other than the stars, not much has happened. Though, I went downstairs before and I could swear there was a person behind me the whole time...it was almost like they were breathing down my neck. I don't generally get any paranoid feelings when I'm walking around my house in the dark, because I know its my house and I know everything about it.

Baal said:
There's no better feeling than waking up for school early and realizing you're not tired at all...gotta love it. It happens from time to time.

Also when you wake up at 5:00 realizing you still have so much more time to sleep..love that too.

Yeah, I used to love that...of course lately I've been waking up at 8:45, realising I in fact have 15 minutes to get ready and be at college.

Baal said:
There's no better feeling than waking up for school early and realizing you're not tired at all...gotta love it. It happens from time to time.

Also when you wake up at 5:00 realizing you still have so much more time to sleep..love that too.

for me when i was going to school/college and woke up 2 hours earlier than i needed to, it ticked me off because i was so tired.
of course it could have something to do with going to bed late because of work and such :|

i do however agree with the first part ur post.. that is assuming i get the chance to hit the sack early enough.

hmm... done 24 hours loads of times. Think my record is around 45, that felt weird... surreal like I was watching everything from afar and not really taking part in it.

You want to do a week though? good luck, you might go insane ;)

The only time I remember seeing stars on my wall vividly was when I yelled really hard cause my little brother wasn't getting his lines down. We used to make these crappy home movies...

If someone tries a week, I'll be ready with my wheel-barrow ready to wheel you off the nut house.

Baal said:
If someone tries a week, I'll be ready with my wheel-barrow ready to wheel you off the nut house.

Those padded cells are mighty comfy.

Farrowlesparrow said:
Other than the stars, not much has happened. Though, I went downstairs before and I could swear there was a person behind me the whole time...it was almost like they were breathing down my neck. I don't generally get any paranoid feelings when I'm walking around my house in the dark, because I know its my house and I know everything about it.

Yeah, I used to love that...of course lately I've been waking up at 8:45, realising I in fact have 15 minutes to get ready and be at college.

You are going to end up dead if you don't start to sleep Chris....

Meh I have a friend who is a insomniac, I feel so sorry for her she goes days without sleeping and looks/feels horrible. Longest Ive stayed up is probably 30 hours or so, me and friend stayed up all night playing FFVII and went to see a movie the next day. We came back around 4-5pm and crashed. I remember my mom trying to fix us something to eat and I was being such a asshole, I threw stuff at her and told her to leave me alone. Meh yea side effects suck.

I find sleep is a waste of time but I cant do anything at night time, cant use the computers, dont live in a town so cant go out so unless I read books all night or go outside and graze or something :\. But it defainly a challenge for uni :D

There's actually a study that proves that humans don't actually need sleep. Sleep is merely a state of unconscienceness. If people didn't go into this state back when cavemen were around, humans today would not have developed the instinct to sleep.

guinny said:
There's actually a study that proves that humans don't actually need sleep. Sleep is merely a state of unconscienceness. If people didn't go into this state back when cavemen were around, humans today would not have developed the instinct to sleep.

then how do u explain some of the descriptions pple have given of the time they stayed up for 30+ hours?
surely not being able to stay active pyhsically has something to do with going 30+ hours without sleep..

guinny said:

We need growth hormones, that are produced during sleep.
We need dreams.

I recall reading about a survey that said when rats were sleep deprived, they eventually died because of it. I'd say sleep is pretty damn important.

Well...thats something I wont be trying again.

It was just rubbish. I went to bed last night because there wasn't any point staying awake, and being tired just meant that I was a bit of a zombie. Apparently I didn't look that tired, but I know I just wasn't myself at all. Normally even if I don't actually say anything, I'l think of something funny to say to anything but yesterday my mind was blank. Not only that, but without really wanting to I was acting like an arse. It wore off a lot once I had had something to drink ;) Ah...how college trips are fun. I went to bed at 1am and got up at 6:30 feeling mightlily refreshed. I even went for a walk, and since we were in a the lake district it was a very pleasant walk. It was very misty as well, though it kept coming and going. I have to say, seens the sceneray around there was one of the most beutiful things I've ever looked at in nature, and I've seen a lot of different "types" of scenery around the world...heh, at one point I was looking at some trees and I thought "Wow, that really looks like the "vaseline" shader used in Guild Wars" :)

Anyway, I'm having an early night tonight.

Farrowlesparrow said:
Well...thats something I wont be trying again.

It was just rubbish. I went to bed last night because there wasn't any point staying awake, and being tired just meant that I was a bit of a zombie. Apparently I didn't look that tired, but I know I just wasn't myself at all. Normally even if I don't actually say anything, I'l think of something funny to say to anything but yesterday my mind was blank. Not only that, but without really wanting to I was acting like an arse. It wore off a lot once I had had something to drink ;) Ah...how college trips are fun. I went to bed at 1am and got up at 6:30 feeling mightlily refreshed. I even went for a walk, and since we were in a the lake district it was a very pleasant walk. It was very misty as well, though it kept coming and going. I have to say, seens the sceneray around there was one of the most beutiful things I've ever looked at in nature, and I've seen a lot of different "types" of scenery around the world...heh, at one point I was looking at some trees and I thought "Wow, that really looks like the "vaseline" shader used in Guild Wars" :)

Anyway, I'm having an early night tonight.

Come visit to me. :)

tbh, 5days straight here. Was up because of family probems, and the worst thing was i had to drive. Thing that kept me going tho was Red bull and Pep pills. But after it, i literally slep over 2days....it was insane...got up inbetween the 2 for like a bit of food..then went back to bed... well MAD!

A friend of mine mentioned seeing pink elephants dancing on her desk during class....I myself have tried staying awake for 24 hours...didnt work....and Id rather not try to ever again :).

I stayed up for 38 hours last summer. I was playing Natural-Selection almost the whole time and let me tell you the Onos(rhino monster) is the most hilarious thing ever when you are that tired. I would be Onos, swallow marines and then, laugh for 10 minutes straight. Seemed like the second day that I was awake went by in 20 minutes. When I went to bed, it was kind of hard to go to sleep. I was tired but a little hyper at the same time.

I've stayed up for a couple of days more than a few times, but once I stayed awake for nearly two weeks. I can't say it was voluntary, and to make it worse (or perhaps more interesting :p ) I was going to school the whole time, and it was a little over a month before my HSC (year 12) exams. It started off with me missing one night's sleep because I was working on something for the next day. The next night, I had more things I really needed to work on, though I wasn't being very productive since I was tired. That night was one of those nights where you can't justify going to sleep, because you have all that work to do, but you keep procrastinating and somehow managing not to do any work at all anyway. Before I knew it, it was time to get ready to go to school again, so off I went. That night (now the third) I was quite simply too tired to sleep, which sounds crazy, but it was as if to deal with my lack of sleep, my body was producing large quantities of adrenaline... or something. I was restless, yet in desperate need of sleep. The fact that I had a lot on my mind at the time, and a lot of pressure building up with work that needed to be done, didn't help, since when I tried to sleep, my mind would race at such a pace that it was more exhausting to just lie there than it was to keep myself occupied with a game of spider solitaire, or something equally mind-numbing.

By the end of the first week, I was completely unable to sleep, and I no longer even tried. I just sat at the computer all night, often trying to get work done, and just as often procrastinating. The next week was certainly an interesting one. I went through bizarre changes in my state of awareness... for example, at times, the sheer reality of the world around me would hit me, and basically shock me out of my previous state of mind, which would usually be the complete opposite - hardly even recognising the fact that I existed. The week was also interesting in terms of what I did... I went to a party, and was awake as everyone else gradually crashed and slept it off in the morning... I worked on a lot of musical projects that didn't have anything to do with my music HSC projects... I wrote some very interesting stories, ideas and articles, again none of which had anything to do with my HSC projects... and generally went nuts. The night I finally went to sleep was after a day of very solid work on my own creative projects, which I shouldn't have been doing at all considering the closeness of the HSC. It's obviously the escape I needed, though, since I slept like a baby that night.

Oh, and just adding to that last post... I WOULD do it again! :D Call me crazy, but it had interesting effects. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be capable of staying up that long.. I'm not sure it's something you can do voluntarily, since if the only thing stopping you getting to sleep is your desire not to, you'll eventually cave and go to sleep anyway.

I once stayed up for 36 hours while working out of town. It was not by choice by any means. We were upgrading the ticket counter for an Airline in Los Angeles. Well we ran into some huge snags with the equipment. To make a long story short after about 33 hours I simply said.. I can't do this anymore and got on a plane for Phoenix. I could not sleep because I was tripping like Twilight Zone style and shit. I keep seeing things and the constant hum of the plane was affecting my vision as weird as it sounds. When I landed I went straight to a Fuddruckers for some beef because I had not eaten in about 18 hours and usually the food gives me a burst and I wanted it for the drive home. I got about halfway through the burger and just had this dire urge to get to sleep. I was thinking about my bed so much that I actually started to ache all over and started feeling like I had a fever. I slept for about 24 hours and then went back to LA but I wasn't normal for a few days. I have vowed never to do that again. I was really jacked.

I remember going like five sleepless nights with the flicker lights of guys welding resource towers and using phase gates in Natural Selection... god that was a weird feeling. NS is a very eerie game to play when you haven't slept in a long time... I think it's the lights. It felt like a dream, and every once in a while my muscles would tense up and I would completely freeze mentally. It was like seizures or something. That was when I had really bad insomnia, I just couldn't sleep even though I was exausted to a zombie-like state.

AWWW HELL. I was gonna make a thread about sleep deprivation, but did a search to make sure I wasn't posting something already posted before. DAMN YOU Farrowlesparrow! So instead, i'm not gonna post what I was going to, and instead explain how I am when i'm sleep deprived

Anyways... Sleep deprivation. Its different for many people.

For me... its both fun and not. On one hand, its draining. I feel mentally and often physically drained.

However the fun part that comes into play, is that things that might not ordinarily be too funny, but funny to me... might be AMAZINGLY funny. I mean, repeated, roaring belly laughs that just go on and on. I love the feeling, laughing so much that your sides hurt. Laughter is the best medicine after all. I could cure cancer with this amount of laughter!

If I don't get atleast 9 hours of sleep I feel like shit all day.

Longest I'd gone is 26 hours or so. On my birthday my friends came over and we had an N64 and we rented 6 games, and played games for 21 hours straight :p :LOL:

We got into quite a few arguments that night :rolleyes:

Are you crazy Farrow?

Not going to sleep for a week is seriously bad for you.

Kyo said:
Turns out Fragbait0 and his brother couldn't wake me up no matter how hard they tried.

What he means is, causing physical injury didn't work!

Kyo, are you actually uh, alive? haven't seen you on IRC or school for a week and some lol :)

I've already posted this in this thread I think, but I'm gonna post it again. The longest I've gone without sleep is around 38 hours.

The past few days have been annoying for me. Getting to sleep late and then having the same girl wake me up way too early (just to bitch at me for doing something she failed to explain and that I couldn't have done cause I wasn't even around most of last week lol) and then wake me up again when I finally get some time free to try catch up on much needed sleep at that point, and then another waking me up at the arse crack of dawn. So today is the first day all week I've managed to sleep long enough to catch up. Last week felt like old times and I've decided I don't miss perpetual sleepyness :p

I think I'm getting sleep deprivation right now, its 4:00 AM :dozey:

Back