Slow Motion in HL2!

B

BigGoose2006

You can change the games timescale by following these steps:

1.) Make sure that your console is unlocked. In HL2 you need to enable the console by going to Options>Keyboard>Advanced and pressing "enable user's console"
2.) Press the tilda "~" key to open the console and type in "sv_cheats 1" and press enter
3.) type: bind v "host_timescale .4" and press enter
4.) type: bind b "host_timescale 1" and press enter

Now when you are in the game pressing the "v" key will slow down time, and pressing "b" will return it to normal.

Note that you can bind any keys you like, just substitute them into steps 3 and 4 above, also note that "host_timescale 1" is normal, above is faster, and below one is slower, so go ahead and experiment, have a good time.

I read this in a console command thread, and tried it out, and thought that it was so much fun that it deserved a thread of its own. Its great for taking movies and screenshots, as well as a lot of fun to mess around. Post stupid things you do with this, screens, and any ideas/thoughts on the topic.

If anyone could post how to set up Half-Life 2 to execute several lines of console commands upon entering the game it would be greatly appreciated.

teh 0wn4ge!

I must try this and blow up a barrel with Combine near it.

If anyone could post how to set up Half-Life 2 to execute several lines of console commands upon entering the game it would be greatly appreciated.
Put them in hl2/cfg/autoexec.cfg

Varsity said:
Put them in hl2/cfg/autoexec.cfg

I don't have a file name that... do you create one, or do you mean "half-life 2\hl2\cfg"

you make a file called that...just open up notepad...type in the binds and then add the file to cfg named autoexec.cfg

makes sense that the Source Engine is capable of this - Vampire Bloodlines has this cool "Celerity" power which does the same thing.

Would it happen to slow down bullets as well? Get a little Matrix action going...

cjborton said:
Would it happen to slow down bullets as well? Get a little Matrix action going...

i dun think so cos bullets flights paths are not rendered in source, they're instant-hits or sumthin...damn it, i dun know all the proper terms :rolling:

but the crossbow, grenade, bugbait and rocket should be slowed down :bounce:

cjborton said:

Only for guns that actually show the bullet when is goes to it's target, like the crosbow....

Sir_Shunt said:
Only for guns that actually show the bullet when is goes to it's target, like the crosbow....

dont all the weapons show their bullets traveling to the target? (cept gravity gun of course)

host_timescale .1 is even more fun :) then its pure Matrix :)

Someone need to code bullets into HL2 for some proper action ;)

Question: Does it change reaction time of combine soldiers? What I mean is, does it just make everything move slow, but with standard reaction times, or does it slow everything?

Scottie said:
Someone need to code bullets into HL2 for some proper action ;)

With proper ballistics, like crossbow you had to hold over their head at long distances, that was fun.

this is not working for me :\. There is no differens between 1 and 0.2.

it dosnt work for me =\ ive put them in autoexec and everything...

by the way, anyone tried bind b "host_timescale 1 wait; host_timescale .9 wait; host_timescale .8" etc, to make it gradually go slower? would that work? or is there a way to make the grenade muffling active while in bullet time?

Dr. A said:
i dun think so cos bullets flights paths are not rendered in source, they're instant-hits or sumthin...damn it, i dun know all the proper terms :rolling:

but the crossbow, grenade, bugbait and rocket should be slowed down :bounce:

maybe you should look up the proper terms for the english language.

Also, as I have pointed out earlier, you can slow down only objects affected by physics (not ragdolls though) with phys_timescale # (1 being default, 0 stop, 0.02 very matrix style)

I'd suggest making it a userconfig.cfg instead of an autoexec.cfg.

Autoexec.cfg used to be run during boot up by HL, but I'm not sure exactly when, while userconfig.cfg is run every single time config.cfg is run, which happens to be everytime you join/change servers or levels. It's more reliable.

autoexec.cfg runs every time I boot half-life 2, no problems here

Does anyone know if it is at all possible (even in the slightest) to code bullets into the game - so when you enabled slow down mode you'd get a proper bullet time?

guchi said:
it dosnt work for me =\ ive put them in autoexec and everything...
you have to sv_cheats "1"
guchi said:
by the way, anyone tried bind b "host_timescale 1 wait; host_timescale .9 wait; host_timescale .8" etc, to make it gradually go slower? would that work? or is there a way to make the grenade muffling active while in bullet time?
this works indeed
but not the way you might think
"wait" only waits 1 frame.
so if you have 100fps .. wait = 1/100 second
if you have 30fps .. wait = 1/30 second

i suggest that you make alisases to block togehter waits and then execute them
e.g.:
alias "wait10" "wait; wait; wait; wait; wait; wait; wait; wait; wait; wait"

and then execute them by just
"host_timescale 1; wait10; host_timescale 0.9; wait10; host_timescale 0.8; ... "
Scottie said:
Does anyone know if it is at all possible (even in the slightest) to code bullets into the game - so when you enabled slow down mode you'd get a proper bullet time?
this is possible, but it would lead to more cpu load on both client and server (for multi). also this load further increases if u want to
sumulate reflection/refraction of bullets if they hit walls/doors and stuff
not sure if you would have to create new materials with special shaders for that, but it is possible.

jacen said:
you have to sv_cheats "1"

this is possible, but it would lead to more cpu load on both client and server (for multi). also this load further increases if u want to
sumulate reflection/refraction of bullets if they hit walls/doors and stuff
not sure if you would have to create new materials with special shaders for that, but it is possible.

How difficult is it to do this for SP only (for example)?
Say for simplicity sake u only want to see some sort of simple bullet type object and maybe a short tracer...how difficult wud it be? (and still using marks etc that HL2 already uses)

Thanks

Scottie said:
How difficult is it to do this for SP only (for example)?
Say for simplicity sake u only want to see some sort of simple bullet type object and maybe a short tracer...how difficult wud it be? (and still using marks etc that HL2 already uses)
the crossbow already has a projectile
remove or lower the arc, increase the speed of the bullet, change the model to some 5 poly pyramid, texture it a bit
here you are.
of course you wont have any blood spray that way and you will have to take care of the bulletholes as well, but i think this is solvable .. just pretty much work

i think it might even be possible to have damage values depending on where and at what angle you hit the nmy.
will be hell alot of coding, but since havok objects can do harm its possible.

Kewl. I will admit I am a complete NooB at coding and and type of modding so I dont think I stand a chance in hell of doing this. Mite give it a go though, lol.

Thanks for your help.

a matrix mod on source would rock so hard, it would blow enter the matrix out of the water.

BigGoose2006 said:
You can change the games timescale by following these steps:

1.) Make sure that your console is unlocked. In HL2 you need to enable the console by going to Options>Keyboard>Advanced and pressing "enable user's console"
2.) Press the tilda "~" key to open the console and type in "sv_cheats 1" and press enter
3.) type: bind v "host_timescale .4" and press enter
4.) type: bind b "host_timescale 1" and press enter

Now when you are in the game pressing the "v" key will slow down time, and pressing "b" will return it to normal.

Note that you can bind any keys you like, just substitute them into steps 3 and 4 above, also note that "host_timescale 1" is normal, above is faster, and below one is slower, so go ahead and experiment, have a good time.

I read this in a console command thread, and tried it out, and thought that it was so much fun that it deserved a thread of its own. Its great for taking movies and screenshots, as well as a lot of fun to mess around. Post stupid things you do with this, screens, and any ideas/thoughts on the topic.

THANK YOU!! i have been looking for this command for a looonnggg time!

Dam right (bout matrix mod):D

U can see bullets thru water...maybe thats kind of what you need...but matrixy :)

When you see the bullets in the water they're not actually simulated bullets, just effects. Not the same thing that we're looking for here.

Any way of manipulating that (if you get what I mean) and using that effect after a 'hard coded' bullet? (not that I have any idea what im going on about, lol) :D

Cheers

a "mod" i made

i made a small "mod" actually just a cfg file, by pressing "b" key it goes into "matrix" mode , which means dropping host_timescale to 0.1 and additionally adjusting physics' pushscale so shooting anything with physics will make the object fly much farther, this works on enemies also. (note. you must press b and keep it down for the time you want the effect to last)

sorry for the confusing readme, i wrote it fastly.

Get it from here

TigerRei said:
Question: Does it change reaction time of combine soldiers? What I mean is, does it just make everything move slow, but with standard reaction times, or does it slow everything?
Yes, it does change reaction time, and slows down animations, and everything... bullets, however are instant-hit/instant-detect so... they don't slow down, rockets, bolts, grenades, physics all do slow down though.

jacen said:
i suggest that you make alisases to block togehter waits and then execute them
e.g.:
alias "wait10" "wait; wait; wait; wait; wait; wait; wait; wait; wait; wait"

and then execute them by just
"host_timescale 1; wait10; host_timescale 0.9; wait10; host_timescale 0.8; ... "
I am testing this out to see if it works, so far no success, but when/if I get it to work I will post it up for everyone... If anyone else knows an easy way to do this, I would appreciate the help. Also if anyone knows how to bind the same key to start and stop slow motion that would be appreciated as well, I find having two keys confusing and unnecessary...

Back