Smartphone utility: almost endless possibilities

VirusType2

Reaction score
Soon it may be possible to leave the keys and wallet behind

In addition to getting into a car or hotel room, you can also use your phone instead of a house key. Schlage's LiNK line of home locks include models that you can open or lock via a cell phone or the web.
you could check in [to a hotel] online before you leave and just walk
to the room, skipping the front desk​

Some other interesting features discussed:

*Technology to enable cell phone users to send and receive money electronically.

*A monitor to allow your phone to track your blood sugar and notify your doctor if there is an issue. There are other apps that can check your pulse and one company has introduced a Blackberry application for EKGs.

*Accept credit card payments.

*Replace the TV remote

http://www.mercurynews.com/peninsula/ci_16503673

Also, I want one that can respond to my voice or command to adjust the room lights in the entire house - things like that.

What are some other possibilities? Maybe you've thought of something you'd like to be able to use a Smartphone for.​

So if you loose your phone, you're ****ed?
I'd rather have a proper lock & keys, not be conscious of my hart-rate all day long (although im sure its helpfull for people with hart problems) and I enjoy having a wallet full of cash... Who watches TV anyway?

Not for the clumsy. But losing a phone seriously? I've held onto mine for over five years :u

I've not lost a phone, wallet or keys ever. Thankfully.

I'd also like one for the lights in the house, media centre controls, heating etc.

I like the way it's going though. Would be nice to just walk on a bus and then charge you when you got off depending on the distance you travelled. Or walked into a phone box, made a couple of calls then have it charge you when you leave.

If people always lose thing then I wouldn't mind having an RFID chip or something stuck under my skin :)

Too bad I doubt I'll have a smart phone anytime in the near future! Too damn expensive for me.

Don't we have these already? I mean, I don't even have a smartphone but I can accept credit card payments and transfer money.

Well sure if you really want this sort of thing, have at it. I on the other hand don't see myself using anything like this. I barely even use my "cheapskate" mobile phone (which doesn't do anything else except being a phone LOL).

There's probably an app for that.

Sure would suck to run out of juice and be locked out of your place.

So if your phone gets stolen... you have trouble starting your car, getting into your house, getting into your bank account, you'd have to lock your bank account incase the thief empty's it, once you get home you cant adjust the room temperature or turn on your TV, media centre, etc etc... I've lost 1 phone, and 1 set of keys, both together cost me around 40 euro's.
My phone phones, thats enough for me :p
cyanide-happiness-iphone-4-gs-rob-explosm-webcomic-boyfriend-new.png

I already use my Droid as a remote for my PC. I can sit on my couch, turn on my media center, and use my phone as the mouse. Slide up the keyboard and type in a URL and just veg out.

http://www.devbury.com/

I already use my Droid as a remote for my PC. I can sit on my couch, turn on my media center, and use my phone as the mouse. Slide up the keyboard and type in a URL and just veg out.

http://www.devbury.com/

I was about to say this as well. Some of these apps already exist. My brother uses his iPad (I know, what a dumb dumb) as a remote for iTunes and is able to turn on/off his PC with it.

Phones have been house keys and operating kitchen appliances in Japan for years. Get with the times, rest of the world.

I bet people said the same thing about keyless entry for cars.

OH GOD WHAT IF YOU LOSE IT YOU CAN'T GET IN!!!!

Dumbass, this is just one extra way of doing things, it's not the only. Some people like the slippery slope argument too much.

*EDIT* I have a banking app also.

I have an internet on my phone, so I dont need a banking app. I can just use the website, like I've been doing for years.

Opening, putting in one password is easier than my bank's web site. I have to answer 2 security questions then put in my password.

Also, people who don't have Flash on their phones may not be able to use some banking sites *Ha iPhone*

*Technology to enable cell phone users to send and receive money electronically.

Internet?

*A monitor to allow your phone to track your blood sugar and notify your doctor if there is an issue. There are other apps that can check your pulse and one company has introduced a Blackberry application for EKGs.

Everyone loves having their lifes depend on a phone's battery life/stability. Especially old, vulnerable people who tend to not charge their phones for too long.

*Accept credit card payments.

Internet?

*Replace the TV remote

Applications for this have been available for AGES, basically any bluetooth phone that runs J2ME programs.

And then, one day, you'll open the door to see your neighbour all like:

"Please tell me you've got a Samsung phone charger, I can't get into my house :("

Internet?
Obviously the internet, Jesus Christ. But it won't do it by itself. You need software to do it. The ****ing point is that it is a pocket sized computer like a god damn Swiss Army knife. Don't stress me out, guys.

Most of you didn't read the article, apparently. The list of things in the first post were technologies that are already available [and may be becoming more commonplace in the future].

I thought about the battery life thing. Phones could have a backup battery that is only used for radio locks like front doors and car starting (a lot of people pay a lot of money for remote starting vehicles - nice in the winter) Besides, I mean, you can plug the phone into your cigarette lighter in your car (or other axillary output). If your car battery is dead, then the phone will be no use starting the car anyway! :p

And similarly, if you lose your keys, then what's the difference between losing your phone?

Also, your front door could still use a standard key as a backup plan. Phones (or phone cases) could also have a small storage place built-in that holds one or two keys for emergencies.

Thinking of ways to deal with the problems some of you posed, took me only seconds. Think!

/hits head on wall

I'd also like one for the lights in the house, media centre controls, heating etc.
Yeah, I've wanted something like this for decades.

Basically, a long distance remote for every ****ing thing in my life, with a nice GUI, combined with all the other features that phones have like [making phone calls], calculators, internet browsers, bar code price comparisons, etc., etc., etc.

And then, one day, you'll open the door to see your neighbour all like:

"Please tell me you've got a Samsung phone charger, I can't get into my house :("

How does one say ":("?

The ****ing point is that it is a pocket sized computer like a god damn Swiss Army knife. Don't stress me out, guys.

And just like a swiss army knife it does a lot of things... BADLY.

Back