So they're giving themselves 2 to 3 months..

Styloid

Reaction score
What do you think they are going to work on?? More playtesting? Bugs? 2-3 months is a long time....

It's difficult to say, really.

They said they were done with the actual content and that they were going to focus on bug crushing, etc.

They could doing anything from Steam work to changing content or even giving themselves more time to get the game out to distrubtors.. who knows?

2 - 3 months? I'd say less than that.

I think they'll just spend a lot of that time polishing the game and getting rid of the last bugs.

No, they're going to put MORE bugs into the game...

You figger dat one out yerself... :p

Bullshit....
They are waiting for ATI to get ready with their cards.

2-3 months until the holidays seems about right. It did sound like HL2's content was done... I hope they at least let out some new screenshots or video clips.

Originally posted by Malic
Bullshit....

I really hope this has nothing to do with the 9800XTs not being ready or something stupid like that...

Originally posted by Styloid
What do you think they are going to work on?? More playtesting? Bugs? 2-3 months is a long time....

If that is the case, then I don't want to see any f*cking patch for Half-Life 2 for at least a year after its release.

I don't know where you get 3 months from....2 maybe, but 3 puts in directly inside Christmas.

Originally posted by Styloid
2-3 months until the holidays seems about right. It did sound like HL2's content was done... I hope they at least let out some new screenshots or video clips.

No more screenshots, no more video clips, I want the actual demo installed on my computer by the 30th. :cool:

I bet Vivendi just won in the big fight about distribution. Vivendi wanted the game to be a holiday title to get more money and they want it to be released before or same time like steam version. And I bet the last month was a hard fight between both and Vivendi finally won it.

FriScho may have a valid point here...

It's been the most intelligent all day so far, at least...

There is way more behind this crap, if it gets delayed by 2 months, its pure bs, nothing takes that long to fix, there better be a very VERY good excuse for its delay, if its delayed at all.

Originally posted by Malic
Bullshit....

Bah, the 9800XTs are already rumored to be passed around various vendors. Won't be more than a month for them to hit mainstream markets completely.

Besides, wern't the cards not going to be package with the game until about a week or two after the game release anyway?

My guess, nVidia threw enough money and lawyers in their face to convince them to put more time into the NV3x code path...

gordon: HL1 was pushed a whole year if you remember... delays can range from 1-2 weeks to a full year and if you look at Duke Nukem 4ever even longer than that...

But in this special case all looks to me like a marketing/distribution problem between Valves "I want to screw the retailers with Steam" Gabe and Vivendis "we want the game in boxes old-school-style during holidays for maximum sales" managers. Steam could be the beginning of the end of normal retailers. At least that is one of the big concerns at publishers and retailers. I think that's a big factor and a factor that will not be discussed in the public.

I don't understand how releasing a game later, let alone while other games are being released, will help HL2 sell more....

more time for Vivendi to advertise, holiday sales are much higher than before that time (and if you release too early the game will be seen as "old"). It's a strange but it's a fact, that releasing a game during holiday will push your sales. Especially the "first week" sales.

In the case of HL2, pushing it back till Christmas for marketing purposes makes no sense and I'd like to think that Vivendi knows this. Therefore I'd like to think, that summat's buggered up with the code and they're on it. It'll be here soon enough.
If it IS Vivendi's decision then they'll be just about the most unpopular publishers ever - so expect them to make up some excuse other than "We wanted to bump up sales" - and who knows, Valve may even part company with them.

I don't mind the delay, now I might consider upgrading for HL2 and if it comes out for christmas someone might buy if for me heh... It'd also be cool if they added more extra stuff into the game- more MP maps and models...

Maybe they need more time for the MP, and will only sell the SP version only on the 30th via steam?:)

Half Life 2 will generate TONS of money very quickly no matter when you sell it. Waiting for Christmas won't a very considerable difference. The money they'll make form hardcore fans alone will make them more than happy.

yea crush sum bugs and finish working on steam.... thats wut they doin

remember... hl2 cant work with steam... (cept singleplayer i think/hope) so if they do release on the 30th....... steam might crash or wudever.... i rather have steam and hl2 working properly than playing hl2 for a mere 2 min and scream in dispair thati
i cant play hl2.. and then steam will REALY feel the heat form the hl2 community........
but i hope that wont happen :D

No matter when they release HL2 via Steam, it's going to get bogged down with thousands of people downloading at one time. You can't prevent this really.

Other than that, what problems does Steam have? I have none what so ever..

Originally posted by FriScho
gordon: HL1 was pushed a whole year if you remember... delays can range from 1-2 weeks to a full year and if you look at Duke Nukem 4ever even longer than that...

But in this special case all looks to me like a marketing/distribution problem between Valves "I want to screw the retailers with Steam" Gabe and Vivendis "we want the game in boxes old-school-style during holidays for maximum sales" managers. Steam could be the beginning of the end of normal retailers. At least that is one of the big concerns at publishers and retailers. I think that's a big factor and a factor that will not be discussed in the public.

1-2 weeks not 2 months, and it would be very F***ing stupid to release all those movies screenies and stuff just to scrap it and redo it for next year. hmMMM, and im getting my copy in a box, as if use steam to download a game, i find that idea stupid. but thats IMO.

what I would like is a demo. that'd be sweet. if they give me even like a ONE LEVEL DEMO, I can go until mid january.

Originally posted by Baal
what I would like is a demo. that'd be sweet. if they give me even like a ONE LEVEL DEMO, I can go until mid january.

lol, i would get bord in a week. maybe even 2 days. :)

Originally posted by Gordon'sFreeman
lol, i would get bord in a week. maybe even 2 days. :)

no way, I played splinter cell demo for like 1 month and a half (not constantly of course....)

A video would last me longer than that. Something like tunnels video, only showing maybe more of what the manipulator can do or something.....ANYTHING right now sounds good really....

Originally posted by Baal
no way, I played splinter cell demo for like 1 month and a half (not constantly of course....)

A video would last me longer than that. Something like tunnels video, only showing maybe more of what the manipulator can do or something.....ANYTHING right now sounds good really....

Yeah i guess, something is better than nothing. :)

ah well i wasnt able to play hl2 on my comp on the 30th......ill w8 for the hl2 recommend video card the 9800proXT? ...im building my comp at the end of oct ....so wah :dork:

Back