So, what about Vortigaunt zombies?

Destron

Reaction score
Has anybody thought of this? It would be extremely interesting, I think. It would almost be stupid if headcrabs could only couple with humans, why not other creatures also?
sounds like a cool idea to me.

Watcha guys think?

I think maybe the reason why there is no Vortigaunt Zombies is because Vortigaunts would use their powers (Not sure what kind they are) on them. Unlike humans, Vortigaunts aren't defenseless without weapons (In game that is, we rea life humans aren't defenseless), they'd use their powers to blow the little suckers up plus I assume their powers are not limited to offence, they probably have some sort of psychic powers as a defence mechanism.

I doubt a vortigaunt would be able to shoot a headcrab off without killing itself. Once a headcrab latches onto a vortigaunt, he's probably as screwed as if he were a human.

V-Man's words on "Zombigaunts"

I suppose it is possible for there to be "zombigaunts" but note that the Vortigaunts have plenty of defenses against a mesely enemy such as the headcrab, one such being that they can crush them underfoot (use gmod 10).

I also beleive that a plaussible theory for the reason we haven't seen zombigaunts is that the vortigaunts might have their internal systems rerouted into a way that the headcrabs couldn't take them over.
Remember that the headcrabs take over the host through their nervous system (http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110042), and the vortigaunts might have an arrangment of internal organs unlike anything we could imagine, possibley going so far as to not needing a nervous system!

However, after all this is only a theory and it's just like what we know about the G-Man; mostly speculation.

Vortigaunts are normal prey for Headcrabs. We just never encounter Headcrabs and Vortigaunts in-game.

Yeah, I think any creature with a brain that connects to the nervous system is easy prey, as long as the headcrab can get it's, um... butt? around it.

Great balls of fire, lightning zombies?

No.

Sure there are. I can think of at least 10 different ones in HL2/E1. Not to mention the one we see in the EP2 gameplay demo.

i mean there wasn't a large enough concentration of vorties in the game to justify putting zombiegaunts in.

Vorties are spread out and relatively uncommon compared to humans or combine. Going by the number seen, you might have run into 1 or 2 in the whole game but since they wouldn't be potent enough to be bosses, there's really no point. Aside from that, vorties are higher up on the foodchain and seem to be really good at taking out and eating headcrabs.

as for not being able to zap one off their head... why not? Its their own electricity, if they can generate it i don't see how they can hurt themselves with it.

i mean there wasn't a large enough concentration of vorties in the game to justify putting zombiegaunts in.

I see whatcha mean now.

as for not being able to zap one off their head... why not? Its their own electricity, if they can generate it i don't see how they can hurt themselves with it.

Well, if a vortigaunt was swarmed by them, there's no telling what could happen.
Also, if I remember correctly, Vortigaunts captured by the Combine have to wear anti-electricity devices on their legs (at least, that's what I think those things are). It's more possible for a captured one to be headcrabbed than a free one, I suppose.

oh no doubt that even vorties can get swarmed and crabbed, only saying that it proably doesn't happen enough to have warrented a reoccuring enemy.

perhaps if the combine shell a vortie village?

And there are a handful of places in HL1 and BS where you see them together (Curiously, they don't attack eachother, nothing Xenian attack each other in HL1 with the exception of bullsquids and headcrabs. Vortigaunts will attack headcrabs in HL2 though, if you spawn them next to eachother)

You have to consider that in hl2 we sow a lot of vortigaunts especially like 6 in black mesa east but that is the main rebel base adding that number with the amount of the others outside black mesa east we have like 14 vortigaunts. Which isn't only 1 or 2 although I admit that they are uncommon but we have seen quite a few.

They might just be able to discourage the simple-minded headcrabs from attacking with their psycho-whatever powers.

I know I'm late here but I know for a fact I've read that Vortigaunts are naturally immune to crab attacks, and not because of their powers.

That's the embarrassing part! I don't remember. But I know I've read it. I'm going to search for it again.

Hmmm. Haven't found an article yet. But have come across a few forums (these included) where people have the same opinion that Vorts are immune to Crab Zombification.

I think it would be interesting in concept, but maybe not so much in play? How different would a zombie vortigaunt be to fight than, well, a regular vortigaunt from HL1, but slower? Maybe have one caged in Black Mesa East as a rare specimen that they found (because it is an interesting idea, but unless they gave it something new to bring to the table, the fight might not be anything special.

I wonder what, nay, how the vortigaunts would think when one of them gets crabbed, they're sorta hive-minded after all. This raises the question weather vortigaunts have enough combined will-power to resist headcrabs completely, or if another vortigaunt will come relieve his brethren ASAP, maybe vorts can have their "tethers" to the vortessence cut?

you people have inspired me to make a vort zombie image. oh well, coming soon

I suppose it is possible for there to be "zombigaunts" but note that the Vortigaunts have plenty of defenses against a mesely enemy such as the headcrab, one such being that they can crush them underfoot (use gmod 10).

I also beleive that a plaussible theory for the reason we haven't seen zombigaunts is that the vortigaunts might have their internal systems rerouted into a way that the headcrabs couldn't take them over.
Remember that the headcrabs take over the host through their nervous system (http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110042), and the vortigaunts might have an arrangment of internal organs unlike anything we could imagine, possibley going so far as to not needing a nervous system!

However, after all this is only a theory and it's just like what we know about the G-Man; mostly speculation.

methinks you need me to link you to the Age of Conan cinematic

/me runs

Now you've done it. Posting in here is like signing a binding contract. You are now required to post in the HL2 sections as much as you do elsewhere.

does that still apply if I use cutscenes as an opportunity to take a leak/get a coffee/pick my nose and stare off into space? but I'll tries my best

Hordon Freemens: mythological Odysseus like figure or pixalized hero meant to embody the everyman? ..these and other mysteries shall be pondered at length once Stern joins the ...Singleplayer Mythology section :(

look a bird!!

/me runs

Yes. Open up the bunker, get the water bottles and canned food down there ASAP, I'll set the auto-destruct for five minutes.

*salutes*
Farewell Singleplayer Mythology. Farewell...

i beleive you have all seen this

vortigaunt.jpg

Zombiegaunts would've been good. And they could use the HL1 Vort sounds for the Zombiegaunts. Just a little twisted ones. With gurglings and stuff.:cheese:

PS: What's up with Cpt.Stern? Whats with the sudden panic?

Back