So, What New Story Items Have We Learned?

So Eli is the guy at the beginning of Unforseen concequences then? The guys who's afraid to move his mate? It's lucky that he survived being that close to Ground Zero, how did they get out then? I would imagine that the test chamber would be one of the main places the military would go?

After watching that movie, If swearing was allowed here i would say **** Me, shortly followed by Pass me a towel.

Tension and anticipation rising immesnley now.

iirc Alyx's mother was killed in black mesa so the woman talking to you is someone else.

The thing about the "border world" is well explained in Blue Shift. They use Xen as some kind of aiming support when teleporting.

hiln I believe you are correct... I think breen is trying to deal with the problem of the world running out of resources and the "alien invasion" and it's not working out with the people, though I don't understand how it's an alien invasion when all the xen are headcrabs and zombies...and ant lions... I believe the the corrupt combine are Breen's army to keep everybody in line.

Where has all the ocean water gone? There is obviously something else to the story than just an alien invasion. The xen aren't even intelligent beings. The only xenians I have seen that are capable of being organized to invade a planet would be the vortigaunt which are on the "good side" now.

I think a lot of it has to do with what the girl on the elevator said, in the video. Something new...

:D Speculation :

The Xen aliens secretly came to earth, brainwashed some humans and ran expirements on them; little by little. That introduces the Combine(Xen's creation), C17 is now a utopian society filled with Combine. The main purpose of the Xen aliens is to take over earth and jack its resources I.E. dried up oceans.

Good point PatPwnt it does appear that there is some sort of water crisis with all the dry docks and shallow canals... Seems too much to be a coincidence...

Well... were all the Controllers killed when Nihilanth was? If not, where are they, and what are they doing?

I still think Race-X are behind it all, though...

Is race X even a real thing for valve, i mean... they were only in OpFor and have not even been mentioned, so i have some resevations as of yet that race-x will even appear in Hl2 or any later installments.

Well, I hear Mark Laidlaw and VALVe supervised the creation of the expansions... So I certainly hope so...

What is Race-x.

i haven't played Blue Shift or Opposing Force so i don't know.

what i'm really afraid about the story in hl2 is that there'll be too much of it, and will really bogg down the action like in mgs2, i loved the simple story being told in a complex way presentation of hl1, i hope it stays the same way even though that seems unlikely

Spiffae said:
-BreenI thought so much of City 17 that i elected to estabilsh my administration here in the citadel so thoughtfully provided by our benefactors.
Now THAT'S interesting...
Why is the Citadel/Combine eating the city if it's his and he... City.. Likes.. Must... What? I... Aaarrrgh
<Dies>

Oh, and I'm pretty sure Race-X aren't in it... So I think I got told/heard.... So... Confused... Argh...
<Dies. Again.>

may be it's a great place to drain resources

The combine can't be the experiments of Xen because they are fighting against the xen aliens, theyre enemies, so i doubt the combine are xen experiments, perhaps another race of aliens with similar ancestors to our own! ( abit like Robotech)

scarecrow1 said:
The combine can't be the experiments of Xen because they are fighting against the xen aliens, theyre enemies, so i doubt the combine are xen experiments, perhaps another race of aliens with similar ancestors to our own! ( abit like Robotech)

What's wrong with them fighting Xen? Maybe they were oppresed in some manner.

el Chi said:
Now THAT'S interesting...
Why is the Citadel/Combine eating the city if it's his and he... City.. Likes.. Must... What? I... Aaarrrgh
<Dies>
Your right, I never thought of that. If the city is Dr. Breens then why is his tower (I'm assuming it's his) eating his own city.

jasonh1234 said:
I think he says "fill that up."
I think it's...
Second Guy They have no reason to come to our place.
First Don't worry, they'll find a reason.

Actually

First Don't worry, they'll find one.

This was some time ago, but I do remember a interview with Mark Laidlaw, he said something about a dimensional race that assimalates other races. I'm really certain that was that he said, I looked for the link but PlanetHalflife took it off thier links.

This was some time ago, but I do remember a interview with Mark Laidlaw, he said something about a dimensional race that assimalates other races. I'm really certain that was that he said, I looked for the link but PlanetHalflife took it off thier links.

Hmm, I'd really like to read about that, seems interesting!

Mr. Redundant said:
anyone else notice the picture of (Im assuming) Eli Vance, his (Im assuming) wife, and child?
its in the scene with the vortigaunts, after eli says "go ahead and take a look around"

if that is Eli, his wife looks chinese... so that white doctor chick (forgot her name) might not be her (Alyx) biological mother.

then again it might just be me

i thought it was mentioned that Alyx's mother was a scientist and got killed in the Black Mesa incident.. at least thats what pple around this forum have been saying..

Brian Damage said:
Well... were all the Controllers killed when Nihilanth was? If not, where are they, and what are they doing?

I still think Race-X are behind it all, though...

ya i think so too.. Valve had alot of control on what the expansion packs were about.. so i don't think Marc Laidlaw would introduce another Race X just to fill an expansion pack... Race X plays a bigger role than most here seem to think... at least thats the feeling i get.

Dr. Freeman said:
ya i think so too.. Valve had alot of control on what the expansion packs were about.. so i don't think Marc Laidlaw would introduce another Race X just to fill an expansion pack... Race X plays a bigger role than most here seem to think... at least thats the feeling i get.

what/who da backside is 'race x'?! is it meaning an unknown race, or is that the actual name that valve gave this race?

Has this 'draining resources' idea only come from the noticed lack of water?

We've seen a plentiful amount of water in the Docks video.

I tink the "draining respurces" is from a couple of previews and interviews, too. I think the official game blurb mentions that Earth is slowly being picked clean...

Race-X are a highly miliataristic race of aliens introduced in the HL expansion OP4. They're different to the Xenians, in body-plan, modus operandi, and probably motivation and origin.

Spiffae said:
-Eli to Vortigaunt: All right - keep that up. (maybe)

"Allright look - Fill it up"

Then he goes, put the cannister/container in some kind of pod-holder and then starts charging it.

Brian Damage said:
I tink the "draining respurces" is from a couple of previews and interviews, too. I think the official game blurb mentions that Earth is slowly being picked clean...

Race-X are a highly miliataristic race of aliens introduced in the HL expansion OP4. They're different to the Xenians, in body-plan, modus operandi, and probably motivation and origin.

o right yeah. youre right it does say that on the website if i remember right.

Hmm. quite interesting these Race-X aliens sound. I might look up some images of them.

Someone drew some very good pics of them and posted them in the art thread. Look for threads entitled "Shocktrooper", "Pit Drone" and "Voltigore".

Or google those words on the net...

Some things we know:
People had been sent to Zen before Gordon had even heard of it.
Thanks to Gordon, Gman n co got control over Zen, the border world.
Gman asked his 'employers' if he could offer Gordon a job.
Gordon accepted G-man's offer at end of HL1 and so hopped on into a portal of unknown designation..

10 - 15yrs have passed since Hl1
In that time some bozos known as the Combine started living on Earth, and are the policing force of City17 for sure (and are very ruff)
The combine sound alien. When they are killed they make quite unusual noises.
The word 'combine' generally means the result of some things being united. A 'combine' is also a type of harvester that heads, threshes and cleans grain while moving across a field. This could tie in with the fact that the HL2 world is being drained of its resources and that they are humanoid.
Earth's resources are being picked clean (by who/what?)
Gordon is the same age or has aged slower than everyone else.
Alyx wants to be rid of the Combine.
Breen, the adminstrator of BlackMesaRF has set up his adminstration in the Citadel (City17) provided by his Benefactors (whoever the hell they are).
Zen, the border world, can be used as some sort of interdimensional slingshot
Vortigaunts are friendly and are helping Eli the scientist
We dont leave Earth in HL2.

That's all i can remember right now, but from that it is my idea that..

Gordon was employed as a cleaner for when things go wrong. during that 10-15yrs between Hl1 and 2, the administration took advantage of the border world trying to increase their power doing more research and such. Admin couldnt control border world like the Nihilanth could, things went wrong and the ant lions and zombies got through to Earth.
Aliens killing people all over the place. Only a few safe places left. Breen sets up his admin in City17. Using the border world, Admin enlists the help of the Combine; an alien race from some other dimension. They strike a deal, Combine gets to use some of Earth's resources, and in exchange, Admin gets the help of the combine in defending the few remaining countries/cities/places on Earth.
Combine gets too cocky. starts taking more than they should. Admin fears they are loosing control over the cities and the aliens arent going away. They tell Gman to get the cleaner.
Gman gets Gordon and puts him into the action (not telling him why ofcourse). Gordon regroups with his oldschool buddies, plus a few new faces, and attempts to sort out the mess he majorly contributed to in Hl1.

So, Gordon = troubleshooter? Could be.

What strange noises do the Combine make, though? I hear mask-garbled screams and the heartrate monitor flatlining, but that's it...

I also heard some odd noises coming from the combine. Can't really say where in the video though, because I'm too lazy to go back and check it -_-

"Oh I thought you were a cop"

I'm pretty sure he said 'com' not 'cop'

Com = short for combine (duh)
Sorry is this was mentioned before, I'm too lazy to read through all the posts. :cheese:

Organizer said:
"Oh I thought you were a cop"

I'm pretty sure he said 'com' not 'cop'

Com = short for combine (duh)
Sorry is this was mentioned before, I'm too lazy to read through all the posts. :cheese:

He says cop....as in metroCOP I think. It would make more sense.

NeLi said:
I also heard some odd noises coming from the combine. Can't really say where in the video though, because I'm too lazy to go back and check it -_-

I thought the noises when they die sound similar to the zombies from HL1....but that's probably just coincidence. I don't want to start some crazy "oh the combine must be highly evolved zombies in gas masks" topic.

I just don't think they sound very human at times. Right when some of them die, they let off a high pitched...scream, or something, and it just sounds freaky. And yes, I know their voices are distorted through their masks, but that scream really does sound odd.

The fact that they even wear those odd masks all the time just suggests that they are not entirely human, and thus, those noises really aren't that odd to begin with.

MEH, now I'm rambling again!

god i hope race x isnt in hl2. i hated those troopers who used other aliens as guns. i see why thats kind of cool and thats just how their race opperates, but i dont feel like having the cool artistic look of hl2 ruined by those big dumb green guys.

Back