'Soft' Mod Announcement: Neotokyo + Double model pimpage :)

Grey

Reaction score
Hey guys! Here's my 'soft' mod announcment - just for you guys :). Check out the WIP webpage, especially the info section for more details. Basically Neotokyo is a mod inspired by anime/manga the likes of Akira and Ghost in the Shell.

http://www.neotokyohq.com

First the Seburo CX (with tanto in the first pic). I'm pretty happy how this model turned out, should look wicked animated.

CX_05.jpg

CX_01.jpg

CX_02.jpg

CX_03.jpg

Here's the model I've been working on lately, M-00 Sniper rifle. It's inspired by the FN military sniper rifles but it's semi-auto and a bullpup design.

M00_01.jpg

M00_02.jpg

M00_03.jpg

The CX is 2188 triangles with the scope and silencer. The M-00 is about the same. As always C&C very much desired.

If HL2 is really delayed I guess I'll have alot more time to model before I go back to coding =/.

Also it's my birthday today... 30 years old, ack. One step closer to the grave ;).

Cool :thumbs: but why the models showed on this forum are never textured? :p

Great gun models, what kind of knife is that. OBTW what is c&c?

Sweet my only complaint really is on the second pic down, the handle looks a little odd, not exactly sure what it is, but could be the smoothing or something... heh great work though

aaa- c&c means comments and criticism (SP?)

Thanks for the comments guys.

@Ti133700N: UV mapping can be harder than modeling or skinnong heh, I'm going to give it a go this weekend though.

@aaa: It's a tanto. Tantos originally came about as the tips broken off of samurai swords. The one in the pic is just a quick model I made from memory/imagination.

@Innervision961: Yeah I need to stop being lazy and start manually creating smoothing groups. Would probably clean the weird shadows up. Although the orginal design by Masamune Shirow is a bit odd too ;).

Yeap it is, the caption above the renders says it's a Seburo CX, also said that it was a Shirow design in the post above yours :)

Wow, looks relly sweet! Keep up the good work :D

very very nice concepts i love the first gun but the sniper lookes weird i guess it just needs a skin anyways nice work on the modeling i really love anime guns.
u shud try cleaning up the handle of 1 and smoot the handle of 2.

Grey heres a daft question m8.
how do you get to present your modles like that (with the background like it is and the models looking all plastic and grey)
Looks cool and tips:)

Ps the modles look realy good m8.

Thanks GOoch :). Gooch is my GFs last name heh.

Thats a easy question to answer. It's the 3ds Max rendering plugin Brazil. In fact that gray is the default 'Brazil Basic Material' hehe(I'm lazy sometimes). The BG is a option in the Brazil render options(under CSG server). Once Brazil is installed I messed around to get it looking like I wanted, but it's fairly easy.

Do be warned that Brazil is taxing, Compared to 20-30 second Max raytraces any way hehe.

breazil is real costly and i dont think people should opt for piracy when there is a free script that does the gi for u go search for a global illumination scrip for max 4 or 5.

Still not sure what the hell im looking for.

Just done a Google on global illumination scrip .....

still clueless as to what i need .?

mindless_moder: before Splutterfish closed down the public test version of Brazil you could download a free version from their website, perhaps that's what Grey is using?

mindless_moder who said any thing about piracy? But any way yeah I have the old use-to-be-free beta version of brazil(some stuff doesn't work right either). In any case I'm 30 years old and have a decent disposible income :p.

I'm not sure of the legalities of distributing the beta, but it is out there if you look. So with that stupid subject delt with. Here's a cool script that'll get you the brazil look on the cheap:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/r.j.o/skyraider/e-light.htm

While we're still off-topic(ie not talking about my 1337 models ;) ), other great free/cheap programs to check out are:

http://www.wings3d.com (free) I do ALL of my modeling in this great app.

http://www.unwrap3d.com ($35) Best $35 I've ever spent I think. The best UV mapper out there regardless of price. And it does TONS more. The author updates it constantly.

BACK ON TOPIC.

Any one else notice it's f**king difficult to UV map models at HL2's level of detail?? I'm itching to skin some of my models(bought a Wacom Intous2 pad a few months ago) but I'm having a hard time getting good UV mapping.

Okie dokie. I spent a few hours UV mapping and skinning the CX. I used a photo for parts of the texture(grip and trigger area), which was probably more trouble that it was worth. One texture - 1024x1024. And here's the result, standard max render:
Seburo-CX-textured01.jpg

Seburo-CX-textured02.jpg

I'm sure I'll working on it some more...

Back