Software other than xsi for modeling

blender , wings3d , anim8tor take your pick there are a LOT of free packages out there blender and wings are probably the most well developed ones though.
it most certainly is not free .. btw isnt that poser :S ?

dont stray from the path of xsi. why do you want to switch all of those other modeling programs are inferior. what problems are you having?

no see my problem is(i've posted this on the forums before) xsi wont install on my comp. i have xp home and its updated and i've downlaoded it 20 times doesnt work so i wanted somthing that i could make model for hl2 in.

gmax is discontinued. I think you can still get a hold of it though just that you'll need a key which you can't get anymore.

oh right. well yeah i heard blender is good. ive used many blender tutorials for xsi.

... theres nothing wrong w/ milkshape. if you know what a vertex is & you don't apply every fkin face to 1 smoothing group like most do, it's a nice quick program. and afaik, i believe it has an exporter for hl2.

Gmax is still availible, what are you talking about. Try turbosquid.com they have a free download.

Back