Soldier Wins the War - TF2 Update Now Live

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
[br]So the soldier takes the acclaim of the crowd and wins by only a few thousand kills and is blessed with a 4th unlock:
  • The Gunboats - A pair of boots (secondary slot) which reduce the damage from rocket jumping significantly.
That's not all, there have been other updates added apart from the 7 news weapons and achievements.
  • 2 New maps, cp_gorge and ctf_doublecross
  • Added item crafting
  • Added work-in-progress TF Bots for beta testing in KOTH maps (blog post coming with more info)
  • Spy now pretends to be carrying the weapons & wearables of the target he's disguised as
  • The Sandman now only stuns on a max range hit, short range forces the enemy into the thirdperson fleeing state
  • Combat text, which displays damage amounts you do to enemies.
  • And many other bug fixes and changes
Go play now and let us know what you think! Craft us something interesting.

You all deserve a medal! Get out there and use those boots to out-jump demos and knock monkeys out of orbit FOR AMERICA.

So would the Demo have gotten sticky-jump boots if he won? lol

i'm sure a ball would hurt more at close range. Damn bs.

So I'm wondering, will it be possible to synthesise the unused demo-jump boots with the new crafting element?

I was only able to make one quantity of scrap metal, and then the crafting server couldn't connect. It even ate one of my extra Dead Ringers that I was going to use. WTF

The addition of bots is interesting. Still waiting for the blog post about it though.

Just been playing for a few hours and items have been dropping literally every 5 seconds. It's ridiculous, some people have got like 6 items at once, and then the same within 5 minutes.

Also the pickaxe and sword are the most hilarious weapons ever.

I was getting an eyelander everytime I die.

Only appeared in the pack, I think there's a bug where you just keep getting the same pseudo-items over and over.

That glitch got me two spy beards, and those boots. :)

The boots are awesome too, only take 11 damage per jump.

played tonight and it was a blast!! i even had a friend who hadn't played TF2 in about a years time come back on finally. it was hilarious and i love the new demoman rush

there were some glitches though, one is my friend's macbook froze up and the other was in the spawn room i could see right through to the floor and also i saw vertices and i could see through walls and i didn't touch anything

Can't wait to try all the added stuff. And yeah, I think it is great that the Soldier won...

Shakey start, unlocks randomly unequippable. However there was an item storm which got me a hat, a bunch of items and 4/7 of the new weapons so that more than makes up for it.

Thoughts on the new weapons I've tried:
Equalizer - Straight upgrade over the Shovel. At low health it's pretty much a one hit kill but the fact that you are at low health and a slow class keeps it from being overpowered. Very useful for running away to find healing (this also makes it a afterburn nerf). A "fight or flight" weapon if there ever was one.

I was skeptical about the shotgun replacements just because it's such a big part of Soldier play but both the shotgun replacements are fantastic.
Buff Banner - Charges a lot quicker than I expected, most useful in the more spammy maps where the choke points and number of close by teammates work to its advantage. Saved CPs a number of times against superior numbers thanks to it. Despite the increased attack power becoming target number one means sometimes you are best off leaving most the attacking to your nearby teammates. Game changing if timed right.

Gunboats - if you are like me and don't run around with a pocket Medic these things are awesome (I'm glad Soldiers won the war). Multiple rocket jumps to, from and above the enemy without a Medic or health pack are much more viable. Rocket jumping onto strategic areas consequentially are more advantageous - especially if you know how to avoid any fall damage.

Scottish Resistance - Old habits die hard, this one is going to take some getting used to. As intended the extra sticky activation time and line-of-sight triggering really takes away any offensive advantage it might have had. Not sure if it is worth it over the normal Sticky Launcher ATM.

For a limited time only:

1. Go Spy.
2. Type "Build 0" into console.
3. Erect your dispenser.
4. Rename yourself to "Spygineer".
5. Break your "most healing as Spy" record.
6a. Risk getting punished by Valve.
6b. Cry if you get punished by Valve.

I think it's funny that I hadn't even considered idling before, but after this update I really want to. I never should've deleted those weapons.

11r9252.png

Whenever there was an unlocks brainstorm thread I said I wanted a RPG that deals reduced damage for rjumps; now there are shoes for it, plus an RPG that does 25% more damage. Next time I play TF2 I'm micspamming "I Believe I Can Fly."

For a limited time only:

1. Go Spy.
2. Type "Build 0" into console.
3. Erect your dispenser.
4. Rename yourself to "Spygineer".
5. Break your "most healing as Spy" record.
6a. Risk getting punished by Valve.
6b. Cry if you get punished by Valve.

Much fun was had building dispensers behind enemy lines and then running away.

Shakey start, unlocks randomly unequippable. However there was an item storm which got me a hat, a bunch of items and 4/7 of the new weapons so that more than makes up for it.

Thoughts on the new weapons I've tried:
Equalizer - Straight upgrade over the Shovel. At low health it's pretty much a one hit kill but the fact that you are at low health and a slow class keeps it from being overpowered. Very useful for running away to find healing (this also makes it a afterburn nerf). A "fight or flight" weapon if there ever was one.

I was skeptical about the shotgun replacements just because it's such a big part of Soldier play but both the shotgun replacements are fantastic.
Buff Banner - Charges a lot quicker than I expected, most useful in the more spammy maps where the choke points and number of close by teammates work to its advantage. Saved CPs a number of times against superior numbers thanks to it. Despite the increased attack power becoming target number one means sometimes you are best off leaving most the attacking to your nearby teammates. Game changing if timed right.

Gunboats - if you are like me and don't run around with a pocket Medic these things are awesome (I'm glad Soldiers won the war). Multiple rocket jumps to, from and above the enemy without a Medic or health pack are much more viable. Rocket jumping onto strategic areas consequentially are more advantageous - especially if you know how to avoid any fall damage.

Scottish Resistance - Old habits die hard, this one is going to take some getting used to. As intended the extra sticky activation time and line-of-sight triggering really takes away any offensive advantage it might have had. Not sure if it is worth it over the normal Sticky Launcher ATM.
I wasn't too sure about the gunboats, I would have prefered a 50% fall damage reduction as well, because losing the shotgun takes away a lot of your capability (especially if you are in mid jump and are out of ammo). Also anyone checked what the rocketjumping is like with the direct hit? Is splash damage from rocket jumping reduced or is it purely just the radius?

Step 1: Create custom map a couple miles long.
Step 2: Choose demoman, grab a medic.
Step 3: Kritzkrieg equipped, launch all 16 crit stickies onto one point at the end of the level.
Step 4: Ubercharge equipped, uber demo and have him stickyjump.
Step 5: Demo is never seen again. 5 mile long steak of blood + eyepatch discovered weeks later, on the moon.

So, there are two eyepatches on the moon now?

edit: since MFL's second comment (copy) got deleted, my attempt at being funny makes even less sense. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience I may have caused you.

Holy shit, there's someone here who's been here longer than I have with a lower post count. I would like to shake your hand.

Back on topic, good freaking call Darkside.

Eagerly waiting for Valve to fix stuff so I can get my manly inspiring bugle.

The Sandman now only stuns on a max range hit, short range forces the enemy into the thirdperson fleeing state

Sweet

All we are waiting for now are the remaining Meet The Team vids

I'd prefer to imagine they are gonna have another round of unlocks. Either that or a Diabloesque loot gathering system implemented down the road.

Wow, I called it - from reading the Saxton Hale comics, I thought one of the unlockables would be something to reduce fall/rocket jump damage.

I guess him saying "...with my bare hands" was alluding to the Eyelander and Targe or maybe the Equalizer(?)... or maybe that's just his catch phrase.

Whoever says that the Demoman got a bad update should watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H40eAXXDucg

I've seen many sword-wielding Demomen kill tons of people in the servers I've played so far. They are pretty devastating with the Eyelander/Targe combo.

Back