soldier wip

eyesore

Reaction score
critz and comments are welcome, as you can see. he will be using the shotgun i made earlier.
wip.jpg

Looks good, but a few less wrinkles on the biceps (will also save a few poly's) and make the biceps a little less skin-tight. The rest of the outfit looks more "loose," so I think it would look better if the upper-arm was loose too. Put the wrinkles in with the texture, it will actually look better IMHO.

looking good so far, however, it looks to me like he is a little fat right above the waistline... but thats just me

-merc

chubby and Its not blocky he just hasnt added smoth groups

didnt work on it much today and i "unchubbied" him.

render. i bet it looks way better.

heres an update for ya guys.
wip2.jpg

- Yes I know about the thumbs.

looking real good what kind of smoothing is that.

Your progress is great so far! Everything looks very proportional and anatomically accurate.

Is this going to be high-poly or low-poly? If it's going to be low-poly, then I sure as hell don't want to see a subdivided version. If it's going to be high poly, then everything is way too smooth.

i plan on it being low poly and high poly :p, make a low poly version for game. then a high poly just for show etc. but anyway. heres a lowpoly wireframe shot.
wip3.jpg

I meant edge smoothing, not subdivision smoothing,, go to polygons/normals/softhard normals (or somehing like that) set the angle threshold to 45 and smooth the whole thing

btw: you have to have all the edges selected

very nice....hmmmmjust one thing...those pouches.....i was thinking maybe if u didnt smooth them they might look better...just and idea....:)

no actually they do need a small degree of smoothing but at current they look like they are melting or mergin in with the model like organicaly.

thanks, thats what its taking a bit to get some things done. im learning as i go on some stuff :p

Shit nice man i cant do shit without tuts.

new update, for some reason it didnt render some of the wire. oh well.
wire.jpg

Too many poly's on the hands. Specifically the fingers. You won't need that many, especially since the focus won't be on the hand's largely. Most people will focus mostly on the face and larger parts of the body.

either his arms arent long enough, or his hands are huge. other than that i love it! :D

yea i just built the hands up, im going to take some polys off it obviously.

but i dont think hes aiming for low poly :S .
anyways nice work so far. something to work on would be the small seam in the head....i tihnk theres one ..hard to tell

looks nice
personally i would cut a set of edges around the part where the pouches come out from.

eyesore said:
smoothing in maya?

Edit Polygons > Normals > Soften Harden :D

Then just set the degrees at what point you want the normals to be smoothed out. And if you wnat to select just a small part, select the edges you want to be smoothed out, then do Soften Harden.

Yea i know about smoothing in maya, i just telling him smoothing, in maya.

And he's correct, im not aiming for low poly. and the seem in the head is supposed to be there until i merge them >_> and i will do something about hte pouches, but im not worrying about them atm

also, there wont be updates for a bit I havent worked on it lately, i went to go see AvP yesterday and hung out with some friends. (The movie kicked ass )

new update, got some of the head worked ontoday.
crits and suggestions are always welcome.
soldier.jpg

i reworked the face today, and some other adjustments.
soldier2.jpg

looking good there, can you post another render of it smoothed again in its current state? :D

Hmmm, I don't like the transition between the arms and the body. Dunno if you already attached both, if not rework that again.

Duddle

Back