Some fast question.

>>NoTarget<<

Reaction score
1. Will it be mirrors in the game, like hitman?
2. Will it be real day effects? You can see the sun is moving, its getting darker and stuff...
3. Many of the buildings you see in city 17 in the videos, do you think we can walk into them? Exampel, in the strider video, do you think we can run into the building and hide or run on the top floor and shot from a window, not only run around on the street.
4. In the e3 tech video, when you see many different glass objects and water. And when you come into the room where g-man is, and freeman use the manipulator to play with the camera, will it be a camera in the game? It looked so cool!!!!

>>NoTarget<< said:
1. Will it be mirrors in the game, like hitman?
2. Will it be real day effects? You can see the sun is moving, its getting darker and stuff...
3. Many of the buildings you see in city 17 in the videos, do you think we can walk into them? Exampel, in the strider video, do you think we can run into the building and hide or run on the top floor and shot from a window, not only run around on the street.
4. In the e3 tech video, when you see many different glass objects and water. And when you come into the room where g-man is, and freeman use the manipulator to play with the camera, will it be a camera in the game? It looked so cool!!!!

1. Possibably, but you will not see yourself (freeman)
2. Most of the game goes over the course of a few days, so you will not see the night/day change because time is going at a normal rate (not GTA time).
3. They have said you can go into most of the buildings
4. No one knows if this will be in the game or not.

1. no
2. no
3. i think you can in some, but valve want hl2 to be linear, and it would have taken way too long to make all the levels if you could walk into every house...
4. probobly

I dont understand the last question, are you asking if the manipulator will be a camera? or if you can do things like that with the manipulator?

Breencast is using the camera projection, I believe.

My bet is you will have an area with a TV, projecting something and later on it the same level you'll walk in a room and see the camera standing there, filming what you just saw on a television. I think it would be too bad if they didn't show this effect at leats once.

In question 4 i mean, in the tech demo you can see freeman using his manipulator to pick up a camera, and the camera is broadcasting on a tv screen... hard to explain on english, i'm norwegian :p

>>NoTarget<< said:
In question 4 i mean, in the tech demo you can see freeman using his manipulator to pick up a camera, and the camera is broadcasting on a tv screen... hard to explain on english, i'm norwegian :p

Yeah. Like I said, I'm pretty sure the Breencast (Breen on the monitors in C17) is using the camera to output broadcast

Im sure you can do that no problem with a mod and they will do it in HL2, prolly just to show off the new engine : D. Just start putting stacks of barrels all over.

yea when you move the camera, it moves in game, so its like an actual video camera

why did you say no to the first one, if i'm not mistaken there was a part in HL1 where there is this really shiny thing on the wall and when you jump around it you see yourself on it.

Shuzer said:
Yeah. Like I said, I'm pretty sure the Breencast (Breen on the monitors in C17) is using the camera to output broadcast

Ok, i hope they will add it in the game.

What is the filename of that tech movie? I lost it

>>NoTarget<< said:
Ok, i hope they will add it in the game.

What is the filename of that tech movie? I lost it

It's the full E3 2003 presentation.. not sure of the filename, but it's on fileplanet

rabdsqrrl said:
why did you say no to the first one, if i'm not mistaken there was a part in HL1 where there is this really shiny thing on the wall and when you jump around it you see yourself on it.

It has been stated by valve that if you look in a mirror you will not see yourself, i dont know if you will see other characters though.

There were no mirrors in the first HL, and Valve is leaving them out of this one too.

The answer to everyhting is yes, you must understand it has gone beyond the capabilities of a mere engine, now it is up to the people who mod, me included as to what can be done! It is only the artists limitations that shall let us down!

to the whore houses of prague with them all....

anyone ever drunk lowenbrau, its name makes me think of the concept of 'low brow' and my behaviour doesn't contradict that.

A mirror could be easily done by using a STATIC camera... the camera would have to be invisible though. The "tv screen" would be the mirror. That would work, right?

Yes, but then the mirror would look like a tv screen :p

The idea of a movable camera that projects in real time onto a screen is not only possible but "easy" by todays standards. Just bond a view point onto a static mesh, give the mesh mass and make it movable, then tie the camera image to a constantly updating texture... Just going by what can be done with the UnrealEd. Of course, i'm simplifying a bunch, and I only half understand, so i could just be talking out my ass...

StardogChampion said:
A mirror could be easily done by using a STATIC camera... the camera would have to be invisible though. The "tv screen" would be the mirror. That would work, right?

I'm sure they have an easier way than that. It's probably just a texture that's mirrored.

Your camera trick wouldn't work without flipping the image around. A camera shows you the image as if you were seeing from the camera's point of view where as a mirror shows a reflection which appear flipped right to left.

StardogChampion said:

Wouldn't work, because things would be reversed.

i.e. something on the player's right would appear on the left of the screen.

in the leaked version (when you make maps) you can put a camera entity on something and tell it to brodcast onto a wall or something its realy cool.

Mods Fell free to delete what i said. i dont think there is anything worg with posting that.

Back