Something I've just noticed on Steam...

I'm not too fussed about seeing it at it's fullest settings, I will never have the facilities to do so anyway.

All I want is to be able to play it smoothly and enjoy it.

Just two questions: How much and give it to me. :D

Really... From the screenshots I didn't saw any Pixel Shaders 3.0. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Source uses PS 2.0, no?

I'm either the most apathetic guy in the world or the most patient, because I couldn't really give a shit how long it takes for Lost Coast to come out. I wish they wouldn't announce stuff until they're literally 85% finished or more, because look at all the hooplah that surrounds a long, delayed project. Take your sweet time, Valve, because I have a feeling you're gonna disappoint some fans.

They're 99% finished. I think it's the extra content which is dragging Lost Coast's release further.

iMMuNiTy said:
Really... From the screenshots I didn't saw any Pixel Shaders 3.0. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Source uses PS 2.0, no?

It will work on both, but obviously it will look better if you have a card that supports ps3.0 (6800,7800, r520-probably)

My Half-Life 2 icon is grayed out like I don't have it downloaded now, WTF

I just beat it for the 4th time last week!!!!

Lost Coast uses HDR which no ATI card got this feature..........yet

but i do got it :D
i hope it runs fine on my system
P4 2800MHZ , 1GB RAM , XFX Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB

A new Steam Update shows you can BUY Lost Coast with a Gold/Silver/Bronz HL2 purchase. But no single download.
Possiably a "pre-order" deal.

Erm, it's always said that.

And by purchase, they mean that purchasing a copy of HL2 will net you LC.

Lost coast's content

Does anyone know what content lost coast will feature? what's it about?

Is it just a level they had to scrap from the final cut of half life 2 and now they've pimped it out for the masses, well those in the high end category?

Lost Coast uses HDR which no ATI card got this feature..........yet
Thats wrong, HDR is not a feature. Now ATI cards can do HDR, but it wont look as good and run slower.
Lost Coast HDR will run on ATI cards, but will perform better and look better on Nvidia 6k n up

Does anyone know what content lost coast will feature? what's it about?

Is it just a level they had to scrap from the final cut of half life 2 and now they've pimped it out for the masses, well those in the high end category?
Lost Coast is a completely new level made by valve.

Aye, if you've played Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, you will see the difference between PS2.0 and PS3.0... ATI cards only support 2.0 (though SC:CT only recently supported ATI cards using 2.0 in a patch) ... Nvidia is the only brand right now that supports PS3.0.

http://www.babooforum.com.br/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=324128

Go there to see the difference between PS1.1 and PS3.0

Quite a jump :)

3.0 shaders are a lot better, and provide good performance benefits!

Here is a table of all the changes between shader models (both PS and VS) 2.0 and 3.0

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/winhec/partners/shadermodel30_NVIDIA.mspx
It says nvidia in the link because nvidia is the only card that has shader model 3 on their cards.

*edit* As of now, Source uses shader model 2.0 I believe, but with Lost Coast they are adding shader model 3 :)

Well its not going to break my heart if i cant use this 3.0 level ( i have a x800xl) Yes it does make it look better but even without it still looks quality.

OMG! I can't wait to run Lost Coast on my Geforce 4 MX440! Gonna eat Lost Coast for breakfast!

Very odd they put time to add that now since they said its still a few weeks away so i dont get it what good it does.. now people think its close when it has not changed anything.... valve and their marketing.. add the LC in the games when its gonna be released soon not in a couple of weeks.

Sorry your not allowed to play it BMD, you have bitched too much about valve.

Wasn't HL2 developed/tested on ATI cards?

Damn, I thought ATi would run Loast Coast fine. I guess my foolishness = the shaft.

Wasn't HL2 developed/tested on ATI cards?

Damn, I thought ATi would run Loast Coast fine. I guess my foolishness = the shaft.
It will run perfectly on Lost Coast.

*edit* As of now, Source uses shader model 2.0 I believe, but with Lost Coast they are adding shader model 3
Lost Coast still uses a method for ATI cards to do HDR. It was posted on some forum and the link is on here somewhere. But there will be a lower quality HDR for current ATI cards.

BTW, from the one and only...
ASUS:
"Just wanted to point out a lot of people miss to point out the the X800 cards don't just do SM2.0 but SM2.0b which can do a lot more instructions than 2.0 and basicly has the same features as SM3.0 except for OpenEX HDR (like in FarCry). You are miss representing otherwise."

Can someone please explain to me what Lost coast is? And do you have to pay for it?

The only thing i know about lost coast is HDR, but is it like an add on to single player or what

Trendkill said:
Can someone please explain to me what Lost coast is? And do you have to pay for it?

The only thing i know about lost coast is HDR, but is it like an add on to single player or what
If you own Halflife 2 already, its free to download off steam upon release.

Lost Coast is a deleted section of highway 17 where you have a mission to some somethings at a church. Theres a script to read in the HL2 files if your interested, i know some of what goes on, i shall not spoil it for you. Its basically an extra chapter with added technologies. Something to tie us over till the looming release of Half-life 2 : Aftermath (the expansion pack in case you didn't know about that as well)

Hectic Glenn said:
Theres a script to read in the HL2 files if your interested,
Where is this script? You may PM me if you wish not to tell the others here.

I wonder if this means the r520 chip will come out soon. ATI and Valve are buddies and it dosent make sense for them to release a feature that runs best on Nvidia cards. Call me optimistic but this could mean more then what we think!:bounce:

oMeSSiaHo said:
I wonder if this means the r520 chip will come out soon. ATI and Valve are buddies and it dosent make sense for them to release a feature that runs best on Nvidia cards. Call me optimistic but this could mean more then what we think!:bounce:

I say you're reading way too much into this.

Well from what I have heard the cards should start showing up in Sept. That seems a bit soon since we have yet to see anything but it would make sense to launch a level that an ATI card can run best.

Back