Soundtrack Track List

HL1 tracks

You can extract the HL1 tracks either from your original HL1 CD with various audio software, or from the half-life.gcf file using gcfscape. If you need to match up the Steam files with the track titles, you can find the listing here (look for the post by UndeadScottsman). Of particular interest is that in the gcf file, some of the filenames are "prospero" instead of "half-life". According to the "Raising the Bar" artbook, Prospero was the codename for the other game Valve was working on alongside the original Half-Life.

Since some HL1 tracks are duplicates of HL2 tracks, I've renamed the HL1 tracks in my personal mp3 collection as follows - (the red text is the alternate title from the HL2 soundtrack)

1 [data track]
2 Adenaline Horror
3 Vague Voices (Black Mesa Inbound)
4 Klaxon Beat
5 Space Ocean (Echoes of a Resonance Cascade)
6 Cavern Ambience
7 Apprehensive Short
8 Bass String Short
9 Hurricane Strings (Neutrino Trap)
10 Diabolical Adrenaline Guitar (Lambda Core)
11 Valve Theme (Hazardous Environments) (Long Version)
12 Nepal Monastery
13 Alien Shock
14 Sirens in the Distance
15 Nuclear Mission Jam (Something Secret Steers Us)
16 Scared Confusion Short
17 Drums and Riffs (Tau-9)
18 Hard Technology Rock
19 Steam in the Pipes
20 Electric Guitar Ambience (Escape Array)
21 Dimensionless Deepness
22 Military Precision
23 Jungle Drums
24 Traveling Through Limbo (Singularity)
25 Closing Theme (Tracking Device)
26 Threatening Short (Xen Relay)
27 Dark Piano Short
28 Sharp Fear Short

HL2 untitled tracks

The following tracks appear in the HL2 gcf file, but do not appear on the soundtrack CD that came with the gold steam edition:

HL2_song0.mp3
HL2_song6.mp3
HL2_song8.mp3
HL2_song10.mp3
HL2_song11.mp3
HL2_song20_submix4.mp3
HL2_song26_trainstation1.mp3
HL2_song27_trainstation2.mp3
stingers\industrial_suspense1.wav
stingers\industrial_suspense2.wav
radio1.mp3

Thus, we apparently don't have official titles of these tracks.

PlayingMantis said:
Hey people,

I have attempted to match the given tracklist to the *.mp3 files found in the sourcesound.gfc (sp), to the best of my ability. I am sure I made a few mistakes, but I would like to think that 80 % of the matches may be correct.

I did not find any big mistakes (or small mistakes for that matter). I was about to say you have 2 songnames to one mp3 file, but I noticed there was HL1 and HL2 in front of each, so my mistake.

Only seem to be missing 18.Combine Harvester, there are no remaining files of matching length in the GCF.

I think HL1_song11 is the short version of track 1.Hazardous Environments ie Long Valve Theme, and the short version.

Ozmodiar said:
The following tracks appear in the HL2 gcf file, but do not appear on the soundtrack CD that came with the gold steam edition:

HL2_song0.mp3
HL2_song6.mp3
HL2_song8.mp3
HL2_song10.mp3
HL2_song11.mp3
HL2_song20_submix4.mp3
HL2_song26_trainstation1.mp3
HL2_song27_trainstation2.mp3
stingers\industrial_suspense1. wav
stingers\industrial_suspense2. wav
radio1.mp3

Thus, we apparently don't have official titles of these tracks.

I agree with most of this, and HL2_song11 appears as 36_56_01.AIF in media player.
Also HL2_song27_trainstation2.mp3 is known as 23.Kaon.

Other missing tracks include the HL1 stinger songs, but they have tracknames listed in the HL1 soundtrack.

Personally I am a bit disappointed to see that HL2_song6 is not on the soundtrack.

Wouldn't it be easier to just email Valve? They should have a complete list if anyone has... :)

The comprehensive "GFC MP3 to OST" list.

This is it.

The comprehensive "GFC MP3 to OST" list.

Six tracks retain an uncertain status, for there is no way I can verify these. Oz, can you verify the remainder of the tracks with an "uncertain status"?

It is a rudimentary .doc table.

Hope it is of use to you guys.

kirovman said:
Also HL2_song27_trainstation2.mp3 is known as 23.Kaon.

Personally I am a bit disappointed to see that HL2_song6 is not on the soundtrack.

HL2_song27_trainstation2.mp3 and 23.Kaon are different songs, although they have similar lengths and they start out similar. Jump to the middle of the tracks and you'll be able to hear that HL2_song27_trainstation2 stays ambienty, while Kaon becomes drum-beaty.

Also, it looks like a longer version of HL2_song6 *IS* on the soundtrack - it's track 7.Pulse Phase.

Since Kelly Bailey's email address isn't listed on the Valve site, I sent some questions to Gabe asking him to forward them to Kelly. Specifically, I asked him to verify that the tracknames are the official ones, and asked for the names of the non-CD tracks. If I get an answer, I'll post it here and on the Info from Valve thread.

I'm attaching an updated version of PlayingMantis's tracklisting doc. There were a few mistakes, since some tracks had similar lengths but were different songs. I made the corrections red, and added the non-soundtrack songs. Thanks for the doc, Mantis! :thumbs: - I hadn't noticed some of the HL1/HL2 duplicate songs before. It now looks like the last 15 tracks of the HL2 soundtrack are all from HL1 also; it makes sense that they'd put these "old" tracks at the end of the album, leaving the new stuff first.

There are some songs that are not in the GCF file but are on the soundtrack CD, and some songs are in the GCF file but are not on the CD. These are noted in the doc in italics.

In the doc, I took out the HL1 tracknames (but left the track numbers - where track 02 is the first audio track, etc.). I've found two different tracklistings for HL1 - PlayingMantis used one set in his original doc, and I've been using the other set. So that it isn't confusing, I took out the names until we get confirmation on which listing is correct.

Ozmodiar said:
HL2_song27_trainstation2.mp3 and 23.Kaon are different songs, although they have similar lengths and they start out similar. Jump to the middle of the tracks and you'll be able to hear that HL2_song27_trainstation2 stays ambienty, while Kaon becomes drum-beaty.

Also, it looks like a longer version of HL2_song6 *IS* on the soundtrack - it's track 7.Pulse Phase.

Since Kelly Bailey's email address isn't listed on the Valve site, I sent some questions to Gabe asking him to forward them to Kelly. Specifically, I asked him to verify that the tracknames are the official ones, and asked for the names of the non-CD tracks. If I get an answer, I'll post it here and on the Info from Valve thread.

I'm attaching an updated version of PlayingMantis's tracklisting doc. There were a few mistakes, since some tracks had similar lengths but were different songs. I made the corrections red, and added the non-soundtrack songs. Thanks for the doc, Mantis! :thumbs: - I hadn't noticed some of the HL1/HL2 duplicate songs before. It now looks like the last 15 tracks of the HL2 soundtrack are all from HL1 also; it makes sense that they'd put these "old" tracks at the end of the album, leaving the new stuff first.

There are some songs that are not in the GCF file but are on the soundtrack CD, and some songs are in the GCF file but are not on the CD. These are noted in the doc in italics.

In the doc, I took out the HL1 tracknames (but left the track numbers - where track 02 is the first audio track, etc.). I've found two different tracklistings for HL1 - PlayingMantis used one set in his original doc, and I've been using the other set. So that it isn't confusing, I took out the names until we get confirmation on which listing is correct.

You most welcome! Great team work man! :thumbs:

Do not fail to lets us know of any official word on this matter, Oz!!

I am checking my files now...

Where are you guys getting the music from?
Is it on the game CD? One of the game folders?

... or is this a totally seperate CD from the game?

Yours,
Thor

When you order Half-Life 2 Gold through Steam, you will get goodies send to your address. Included in this package was a Half-Life 2 Soundtrack CD. Now go back under the rock you have been living in.

;) j/k

Ahh, that would explain it...

Could have been a nice touch to include the soundtrack ON the game CD (in MP3 format, for example)... Perhaps a pointer to other game manufacturers in the future?

A lot of people enjoy having the soothing sounds of background tracks playing in the background. - I awoke one night to find I'd fallen asleep with the gentle sound of flowing water in the game "Thief", which Iðd forgotten to turn off before going to sleep. Very soothing.

Coming back to HL2... One time I had to rush to the phone and left HL2 playing... and although one could eventually identify some of the re-occuring sounds, they did a very good job of randomizing the sounds, so they don't occur sequentially, so oine doesn't really get USED to the sequence... but rather, they combine them to be plesantly variable.

Yours,
Thor

icelandknight said:
Ahh, that would explain it...

Could have been a nice touch to include the soundtrack ON the game CD (in MP3 format, for example)... Perhaps a pointer to other game manufacturers in the future?

A lot of people enjoy having the soothing sounds of background tracks playing in the background. - I awoke one night to find I'd fallen asleep with the gentle sound of flowing water in the game "Thief", which Iðd forgotten to turn off before going to sleep. Very soothing.

Coming back to HL2... One time I had to rush to the phone and left HL2 playing... and although one could eventually identify some of the re-occuring sounds, they did a very good job of randomizing the sounds, so they don't occur sequentially, so oine doesn't really get USED to the sequence... but rather, they combine them to be plesantly variable.

Yours,
Thor

Well, it IS on your game CD/DVD, in MP3 format no less. Look into the source sounds.gfc file (and within that hl2\sound\music). Use GFCScape (downloadable app) to extract the music to a folder of choice. As long as you OWN the game I would like to think that you are in no violation of the law. Of course, that is mere presumption of my part.

Mind that you must have microsoft's .NET 1.1 installed for GFCScape to work.

There you go.

P.S.: You will have to rename them, that is what this thread is all about. Use my tracklist, modified/corrected by Ozmodiar, in order to match the correct MP3 files with the correct soundtrack names. Don't forget to thank us. :burp:

Brane Scan [sic]

I just plopped my soundtrack CD into iTunes and this time it pulled up the tracklisting (when I ripped the tracks from CD to my iPod when I first got the album, it didn't find a listing).

Anyway, I found that "Brane Scan" was the spelling shown for the 4th track, and I thought "that's unusual that they'd have all the rest of the info so precise and detailed, and have a blatant spelling mistake in a track title". However, a quick Google search on "Brane Scan" turned up interesting results, which suggest that it is not a typo: it is indeed a theoretical-physics term, apparently referring to string theory and other concepts that I'm not qualified to explain. Suffice it to say that "Brane Scan" is probably the correct spelling of the track title.

Thanks for all the information. :) very helpful.

I think I have my track info right. Not 100% though, but I'm getting close.

Ozmodiar said:
I just plopped my soundtrack CD into iTunes and this time it pulled up the tracklisting (when I ripped the tracks from CD to my iPod when I first got the album, it didn't find a listing).

Anyway, I found that "Brane Scan" was the spelling shown for the 4th track, and I thought "that's unusual that they'd have all the rest of the info so precise and detailed, and have a blatant spelling mistake in a track title". However, a quick Google search on "Brane Scan" turned up interesting results, which suggest that it is not a typo: it is indeed a theoretical-physics term, apparently referring to string theory and other concepts that I'm not qualified to explain. Suffice it to say that "Brane Scan" is probably the correct spelling of the track title.

I took note of this. I'll check it out.

I've taken the time to finalize the tracklist. This is 100 % correct as far as I am concerned. Many thanks to Ozmodiar for his collaboration.

Again, hope it is useful to you guys.

I'm out.

PlayingMantis said:
Well, it IS on your game CD/DVD, in MP3 format no less. Look into the source sounds.gfc file (and within that hl2\sound\music). Use GFCScape (downloadable app) to extract the music to a folder of choice. As long as you OWN the game I would like to think that you are in no violation of the law. Of course, that is mere presumption of my part.

Mind that you must have microsoft's .NET 1.1 installed for GFCScape to work.

There you go.

P.S.: You will have to rename them, that is what this thread is all about. Use my tracklist, modified/corrected by Ozmodiar, in order to match the correct MP3 files with the correct soundtrack names. Don't forget to thank us. :burp:

Hi there... LOVE the idea that it's already on my computer... but have been having problems with accessing it. Ok, let me run through what I've done so far...

Ok, I found GCF Scape in the HL Tool Pack
Downloaded HL Tool Pack (all 57 mb of it)
Installed the tools.
Went to Micro$oft downloaded and installed .NET 1.1
Opened GCF Scape
Located the file...
C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\source sounds.gcf

and I'm getting the following error:
"Could not open:
Error:
Failed to map GCF file to memory.
Make sure the file is not already open and that Steam is not running."

Ok, I went and closed steam and tried again... Still no luck.
Any ideas?

... eh...

*blush*blush*blush*

I just went into the folder where the "source sounds.gfc" resides and noticed it has the GFC Scape icon is now associated with it... and double clicked... and IT OPENED THE FILE.

So I guess the secret is NOT to try and open the GFC file from within the GFC Scape program. Ok.

Just extracted ALL the sounds... Man, I am going to LOVE listening to this stuff!

Wow... hehe... Well, well, there's that ALARM sound!
and that moaning WIND... man, I love putting these things on REPEAT and sitting here enjoying the atmosphere! These guys should think of making some ambient / atmospheric CDs!

... and MANY MANY THANKS to you for helping me access these sounds. I am of the same opinion, if it's there, we should have access to it!
Excellent!

Your new friend,
Thor
;-)

icelandknight said:
Hi there... LOVE the idea that it's already on my computer... but have been having problems with accessing it. Ok, let me run through what I've done so far...

Ok, I found GCF Scape in the HL Tool Pack
Downloaded HL Tool Pack (all 57 mb of it)
Installed the tools.
Went to Micro$oft downloaded and installed .NET 1.1
Opened GCF Scape
Located the file...

and I'm getting the following error:
"Could not open:
Error:
Failed to map GCF file to memory.
Make sure the file is not already open and that Steam is not running."

Ok, I went and closed steam and tried again... Still no luck.
Any ideas?

... eh...

*blush*blush*blush*

I just went into the folder where the "source sounds.gfc" resides and noticed it has the GFC Scape icon is now associated with it... and double clicked... and IT OPENED THE FILE.

So I guess the secret is NOT to try and open the GFC file from within the GFC Scape program. Ok.

Just extracted ALL the sounds... Man, I am going to LOVE listening to this stuff!

Wow... hehe... Well, well, there's that ALARM sound!
and that moaning WIND... man, I love putting these things on REPEAT and sitting here enjoying the atmosphere! These guys should think of making some ambient / atmospheric CDs!

... and MANY MANY THANKS to you for helping me access these sounds. I am of the same opinion, if it's there, we should have access to it!
Excellent!

Your new friend,
Thor
;-)

I am glad it helped.

You are most welcome, fellow forum visitor.

Yeha I found out the track names when I opened the CD in Winamp or something like that-it labels them.

Weeeeeeee another dug up thread.

Perhaps people are starting to take after Goethe.

Would there be any interest in compiling (and sharing) an 'ultimate' collection of all the soundtracks? Such a collection would include:

A. All the tracks from the official Half Life 2 soundtrack CD.
B. All the tracks from the official Orange Box soundtrack CD that are not present on A.
C. All the tracks from the Half Life game disc that are not present on A or B.
D. All the tracks from the Half Life 2 game disc that are not present on A, B, or C.
E. All the tracks from the Orange Box game disc that are not present on A, B, C, or D.

That would give you a 100% complete collection of the soundtracks from:

Half Life
Half Life 2
Half Life 2 Episode One
Half Life 2 Episode Two
Portal
Team Fortress 2

Ideally, the game disc tracks would be kept in the same format that they are stored on the game discs, and the official soundtrack CD tracks would be compressed into a lossless format such as FLAC. It would be great to have a 100% complete collection 'out there' as the official CDs are getting really hard to find, and they don't contain all the music anyway.

As an after thought, do any of the expansion packs (Blue Shift, Decay, etc.) contain any music?

Is there a reason I can't access PlayingMantis's soundtrack listing anymore?

@ woozlez

I don't intend to be an ass, but that is a remix by DJ Dain. You can find it here, on VG Mix. It's good, obviously, but not a beta track. Oh, and the guy who claims it as his own? Total assclown.

I've taken the time to finalize the tracklist. This is 100 % correct as far as I am concerned. Many thanks to Ozmodiar for his collaboration.

Again, hope it is useful to you guys.

I'm out.

Sorry to be a pain and to dig up an old thread, but where is this tracklist (the GCF to OST one)?

/me is st00pid

Thanks

Back