Source Code Truth

4thdegreeburnz

I have done my research and have some to some conclusions about what the hacking of the source code andwhat it means for our beloved comrades in the valve company.

1) Does this mean that they will have to release the game earlier?
A. No. Without the other half of the game's files it is useless as a download for other hackers.
2)Can the Hacker sell to other Competition to make money?
A.Yes, but probably not. Other companies disdain a law suit and would rather avoid the whole thing by paying a small licensing fee and dodge it all together.
3)Who would do it?
A.Some bored hacker who wants a trophy. They truly cant do much with it until it comes out on the shelf and they get the rest of the files.
4)Isnt it Valve's fault for leaving the source code on a computer with internet access?
A. No. the truth is that theft if theft and taking information and programming that is not yours is theft. The hacker who took the code is little more and a cheap thief who only stole half of what they needed to play the game and very little to sell for profit.
5)Is this going to kill Valve and end Half Life?
A. No. In the past (I have proof) these source codes were shared so that easy and cheap platform versions of the program could be made with little or no money spent of the part of the original companies. It didnt shut those companies down and it definitely wont hurt Valve.
6)Cant Valve just look in the code of other games for thier AI?
A. Yes, but looking through millions of lines of code for a few of your own is too much work and not worth the time. Still easier for someone to buy the right legally.
Above all it is not a really terrible thing that the code was stolen but not a good thing either. Whover took the code was a thief and little more. Also, thier actions should not be supported, anyone who says they deserve to have the code is just trying to get a rise out of you. It is frustrating to have the code stolen because it represents years of hard work, but just because you steal the tools doesnt mean you can build the house. Neither can the hackers who took the game get the whole version but they can adapt for other platforms. Valve can use this to thier advantage if they wish or not. The event that happened is not to be downplayed but also not tragic. It is just dissapointing to know that someone, maybe even one of us could be so stupid.

My conclusion is that idiots will continue to post new threads about what they think this means instead of reading/searching for a thread they can add their thoughts on too.

This usually happens because they are easy lazy or so ego centric they believe their thoughts deserve their own thread.

I do realise the pointlessness of posting in a thread just to agree but I'm going to do it anyway.

I agree with Stryyder

seriously though how many threads are there going to be of the same thing? ive counted like 17 so far

Originally posted by 4thdegreeburnz
4)Isnt it Valve's fault for leaving the source code on a computer with internet access?

If I leave my Ferrari (hrm) parked and forget my keys in the car and the door unlocked and some unknown bloke gets into the car and drives away in it, would you not call that theft? I would.

It doesn't matter how open Valve leaves their source code, it states clearly Copyright Valve and is for noone to own, copy, use and most of all, *distribute*.

I DISAGREE STRONGLY with the idea of not concurring with the above concurrers.

Can it be another summary like this thread, its very conclusive. Uh and I concur too.

If I leave my Ferrari (hrm) parked and forget my keys in the car and the door unlocked and some unknown bloke gets into the car and drives away in it, would you not call that theft? I would.

You may call it theft but I’m willing to bet you insurance company is going to call it stupidity and it's not going to give you a new Ferrari.

Originally posted by MooCow
You may call it theft but I’m willing to bet you insurance company is going to call it stupidity and it's not going to give you a new Ferrari.

Even if Valve might not get damage for their loss, the purpetrator will serve time. Ferrari or source code, no difference.

Back