Space, drugs, and free time.

^ That's a unique but valid way of explaining your point.

Regarding OUR universe...there's an interesting way of modeling it while including the time dimension. Since no one has ever built a viewable model of anything in 4 dimensions, in this analogy we suppress 1 of the 4 dimensions. For the sake of argument, imagine consolidating the 3 dimensions of space into only 2 dimensions. Then, with time as the remaining dimension, you can construct a 3-dimensional analogue of Einstein’s perception of a 4 dimensional universe. That analogue is basically a sphere. All of space is spread on the surface of this sphere while time is represented by the radius, or depth, of the sphere. So the farther you venture into the sphere, the farther back in time you appear to be.

To compare this with the observational movement of the galaxies picture a balloon inflating with a bunch of coins taped at equal distances from each other. This is the best way, in my opinion, to visualize why the galaxies are all, for the most part, receding from us as if we were the center of the universe. I say for the most part because since we are part of a cluster of galaxies in the local group there are bound to be some that appear to be getting closer, like Andromeda.

I can't find the picture I wanted to use, it helps to visualize what I'm talking about.

Back