Spiky Models!?

E

efk.source

Hi I am having real problems with my models in hammer, this is with every game config, In the 3D viewer the models break apart and the vertex seam to stretch and slide making it impossible to work with, this also happens with brushes at times with a sort of red selected overlay, please help me if you have any ideas on how to sort this out!! below are the images!

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

give us specs on ur computer ...
1) ur card may just be crap
2) ur drivers might be out of date
3) could be severly overheating
4) dunno....let someone else talk besides me

i have a 256mb ATI x800 Pro
i have upto date ati readon drivers
i have 3 fans and its very very cool
anyone else?

The 6.6 drivers are out and it's not your fault.. its the update for sdk.
SDK workaround
From Valve Developer Community
The recent engine update potentially broke mod development tools in Steam. If your mod is based on a game other than Half-Life 2, this update causes your mod to run on the new engine. Running the SDK Launcher causes binaries to be copied from the old version of the engine cache.
Note: "other than Half-Life 2" includes HL2DM

Until the problem is fixed with an SDK update, use the following workaround:

1. Run the game which your mod is based on and exit.
2. Make sure the SDKLauncher app is not running.
3. Go to that game's \bin directory.
4. Copy all files, excluding TrackerNET.dll and TrackerUI.dll.
5. Paste these files in your username\sourcesdk\bin directory.

Warning: All SDK tools must now be run from within explorer or from a command-line window; running the SDK Launcher app will cause this problem to occur again and these steps must be repeated.
Warning: This will also make the 2D views in Hammer disappear and the model browser will crash if you try to browse the models in Hammer. Shutting down Steam and restarting Hammer will fix the 2D view and model browser, however the ATI-cards are the worst, whereas before it was only affecting models, now it affects the entire 3D window.

Alternative fix for Hammer

Go to C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Account_name\sourcesdk\bin\. Create a shortcut to hammer and put -dxlevel 80 in the command line like this : "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Account_name\sourcesdk\bin\hammer.exe" -dxlevel 80.

Running Hammer from this shortcut will correct the graphic error.

(This appears to result in displacement maps misbehaving on a GeForce 6600, latest drivers - the alpha for blend textures is inverted!)

Windows X64 Unconfirmed reports about hammer not working at all for x64 users.

I tried doing the "-dxlevel 80" for awhile and it sort of worked until my model dll link disappeared randomly so I had to reset game configs a lot. I haven't tried it since the catalyst 6.6 driver because I just reinstalled everything. But I hope that answers your question or heads you the right way :). The funny thing is, now all my games work correctly since I updated to 6.6 but what they describe as the 3D window doesn't work at all happens to the preview thing in the catalyst control center.

atomicspark85 thats so much! changing it to dx8 has fixed the problem! really really cant thank you enough, i havnt been able to map for ages! now i can it feels great, ausome!

efk.source said:
Hi I am having real problems with my models in hammer, this is with every game config, In the 3D viewer the models break apart and the vertex seam to stretch and slide making it impossible to work with, this also happens with brushes at times with a sort of red selected overlay, please help me if you have any ideas on how to sort this out!! below are the images!

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

I have identicle problem but it never used to do it!
Only just started like 3 weeks ago. Its not imposible to work with although it does get confusing when you see a zombie part in the opposite room but you get used to it!

My comp or graphics card or proccessor or anything like that isn't crap. I have 256 mb ATI Radeon x900 pro pci_express and a AMD Athlon 64 (forgot the specs but tis good I promise) proccessor .... ect. Loads of memory. Alot of RAM.

I think the reason myt be too many programs running at same time as hammer but maybe not :s ... Im not too sure!

EDIT:

Just read that clever guys post about the silly update. I can't be botehred doing all that. YET! Ill do it somtime in the week.

Unarmed said:
you mean, typing -dxlevel80 simply exhausts you? :p

LOL I DIDN'T read it properly. lol. I just glanced at a mesh of comand lines and thought l8er ... hehe Ill do it now!

EDIT:

Well will the inverted alpha appear that way ingame or is it just in hammer?

And if it does effect ingame is tehre a easy solution in hammer just to invert them back?

Back