[Spoilers] Specuation Thread - Episode One and Two

Sui

Tank
Reaction score
This entire post contains references to the end sequence, and other key moments, in Episode One and therefore should not be read if you have not yet completed the episode.

Aftermath, or Episode One, left a lot of unanswered questions when your train was caught in the inevitable blue blast of pure energy which decimated what little remained of City 17.

Episode Two has got a lot to live up to with its storytelling. Alyx, after all, has a copy of the signal which was sent out by the combine citadel – and it doesn’t look like they were simply calling for backup (or, as Lemonking proposed, a pizza). It’s entirely possible that that small data stick which Alyx has clipped to her belt will be the one thing driving Episode Two’s story. I mean, other than watching the ash settle and possibly taking advantage of the fact that he can get his dangler up again (hey, Alxy looked pretty keen!), Gordon won’t have much else to do now that the City’s been blown up. It seems likely that the data spike could be the ‘McGuffin’ of Episode Two, driving the story forward so to speak.

The finishing scene is probably one of the most shocking moments in the whole episode; in the entire Half-Life series there have only been two locations – Black Mesa and City 17, and now it seems like both have been flattened. So where will Episode Two be set? The countryside? Maybe we’ll be stranded in a forest, Blair-Witch style, with a whole host of zombies gnawing at out toes. We could be stuck in a small town not utterly dissimilar to Ravenholm. It could even take a dramatic twist for the unexpected, and we could awake in somewhere entirely foreign (like Tokyo!). The only clue we have is that Valve are extremely likely to reuse currently existing textures and props from HL2, so I wouldn’t expect a complete overhaul design-wise.

Other interesting questions proposed by this initial Episode include the motivations of the Vortigaunts… just what are they trying to pull? They obviously feel confident enough to take on the Gman (“We’ll see about that!”), so they have a lot to answer for, seeing as they were a relatively passive race throughout HL2. Then there’s that whole issue of ‘what to do next’… a load of citizens have made it out, as well as some combine troops (I’m presuming those ships were escape pods at the end) with nothing much to do.

So. Speculate. Do what you do best. Concoct crazy theories about the Gman being Gordon’s father and all that crap. Let’s bounce ideas off each other and see what we come up with!

I would like it if Episode Two was based on the alien world (although that would be a bit Halo-ish). That way we would get to see what tha aliens were like. Also we see all the alines inhabiting the human world in Half life 2, maybe its about time we got to see the aliens home planets.

I haven't yet completed Episode One yet, so I dont know if barney dies....but they could do a spin of with Barney in Episode two...a bit like Blue shift in Half life One?

What do you think?

I was real disappointed with the ending of this one...it was way too similar to HL2.

I think the pods sent from the Citadel at the end were the pods containing advisors, as you see early on when it emits a "mind blast" at launch, after Breens speech repeats. If you saw the HL2: EP2 trailer afterwards, it shows Alyx dangling perilously over a cliff holding onto a piece of metal, then It kind of shows her maybe falling, then it cuts to a scene of a Vortigaunt carrying her body to a kind of altar... Then some nice clips of the new "mini striders" trying to kill you :D

Suicide42 said:
[ (I’m presuming those ships were escape pods at the end)

Those weren't escape pods, they were the same "ships" that you first encountered in the Citadel that made Alyx and Gordon feel pain. (The part right when you saw Breen's old message on the screen, and the screen flashes red.)

My take on Episode 2? I'd say you're going to meet Kleiner and Eli (for the message Alyx was carrying) and to where Mossman is. What did Mossman say exactly btw, does anyone remember?

Something like, I don't know exactly where the site is, but as soon as we find it we weill get some interesting information.. Or something like that :D

Loach said:
Those weren't escape pods, they were the same "ships" that you first encountered in the Citadel that made Alyx and Gordon feel pain. (The part right when you saw Breen's old message on the screen, and the screen flashes red.)
Huh? I thought it made Gordon flash red because of the Combine slug on screen...if it were really escape pods it would actually make sense since you can catch one of the slugs monitering you throughout the game. This means, that perhaps several of the true combine might've been in the Citadel after all. Remember, the Citadel had no contact to the outer space combine forces, yet they were ordered to explode the reactor so the help message would get through...who gave that order?

Well, after listening to Kleiners speech it would appear it is time to take back the planet. As ravaged by the Xen wildlife as it is, the human resistance has managed to build several 'technological advances', which are to be deployed upon the Combines return.

The good news is they are cut off. Destroying Breen's reactor sent out a pulse that disabled all Combine portals on the planet, as well as the communications system. So, at the moment, all we need to contend with is the remaining Overwatch forces that are stranded.

We've also got whatever Mossman was searching for in the Arctic - the 'Project'. It wasn't long before she was under fire though, so she's obviously been tracked there. I think she is looking for Kraken base.

Then we've got the Gmans response - what's he going to do to regain Freeman? He is now fully aware of Gordons abilities, and utilizing is exactly what he's planning. But now he's free, he'll no doubt try to get him back.

The Escape pods contained the Advisors - and if I'm not mistaken, Breen too.

How do we know the Borealis ice breaker ship will not return? Arctic - New places needed because of City 17's destruction?

Samon said:
Well, after listening to Kleiners speech it would appear it is time to take back the planet. As ravaged by the Xen wildlife as it is, the human resistance has managed to build several 'technological advances', which are to be deployed upon the Combines return.

The good news is they are cut off. Destroying Breen's reactor sent out a pulse that disabled all Combine portals on the planet, as well as the communications system. So, at the moment, all we need to contend with is the remaining Overwatch forces that are stranded.

We've also got whatever Mossman was searching for in the Arctic - the 'Project'. It wasn't long before she was under fire though, so she's obviously been tracked there. I think she is looking for Kraken base.

Then we've got the Gmans response - what's he going to do to regain Freeman? He is now fully aware of Gordons abilities, and utilizing is exactly what he's planning. But now he's free, he'll no doubt try to get him back.

Proof? I know the orb containing Breen lowered after the reactor exploded, but when I did it, I didn't see Breen, I just saw some green flashes and whatever. And what if Breen really did die and Valve just didn't expect the player to look down after he took down Breen?

I looked down, and I saw Breen. BREEN LIVES! Though, it was a mighty big explosion. :p

But, don't you find it abit strange that they looped his conversation with the Advisor in the reactor control roon? Putting emphasis on the host body bit? If I'm not mistaken, I believe Breen has been fused with an Advisor.

About Alyx dying...didnt Breen mentions oemthing when you first saw him no teh screen in the citadel about a host body?

Could Alyx perhaps be brough back in one of these...or maybe thats a little "too" speculative...

Also with Gardons powers...whats to say like the Gman that he cant bring her back?

Also notice how Gordons name begins with a "G"? Maybe he's the *new* Gman?

Samon said:

So, going by that, where the Advisors already on Earth? And is it possible for the Combine to tunnel throught to our universe again? I would say it'd be kinda easy for them to do it, since they know the coordinates to our universe. I could be wrong though..

They are cut off at the moment, but they'll find a way through. And yes, the Advisor was already on Earth.

All I will say is that a WHOLE bunch of stuff that was cut from HL2 is being reintegrated into the story in EP2 if Mossman is really up north.

It seems that we will be having a full scale war against the combine in episode3.

One this is for sure the, there will be LOTS of sex :D

Oh, and there ARE, lots of citadels ;)

Suicide42 said:
So where will Episode Two be set? The countryside? Maybe we’ll be stranded in a forest, Blair-Witch style, with a whole host of zombies gnawing at out toes. We could be stuck in a small town not utterly dissimilar to Ravenholm.

I was thinking, remember that woman you meet at the train station in the beginning of Half-life 2 "Me and my husband were in the woods before they took us in for questioning, they said he'll be on the next train" Maybe we get to go to those woods, and those two will meet up again and hug and rejoice.. Or maybe the Husband has already been killed by you :p

snowykittenz said:
Maybe the G-man is a future version of Gordan.

No he's not. The whole Gordon and G-man thing is a coincedence. G-Man didn't even really have a name when he first appeared.

snowykittenz said:

this has been speculated on a lot in the past, both here and over at the HL storyline site. I really dont think that Gordon is a young version of the G-Man and that has generally been the consensus whenever this has come up.

Did anyone notice that the antlion gaurd in the teaser video is blue and green colored?

I think those pods carried the advisors. You probably get those flashes because the combine seem to have telepathy like the Vortigaunts. When Breen is talking to the advisor the advisor never talks back.

Those pods definitely carry the advisors, although I was always under the impression that the advisors were'nt actually IN the citadel.

Also, on a slightly different note:

Odessa cubbage. As far as we know, alyx never knew odessa, the guy who gave you the laser guided missile / rpg in hl2, who was also seen speaking to g-man. Nor was he particularly famous.

If you hang back a few secs after leaving the rebel safehouse with the kleiner-TV in it, the rebels start to talk. When i listened, one of them said "I blame Odessa cubbage". Both Alyx and the rebels dislike odessa for some reason.

So what has that wierdo englishman done?

cabbs said:
Those pods definitely carry the advisors, although I was always under the impression that the advisors were'nt actually IN the citadel.

Also, on a slightly different note:

Odessa cubbage. As far as we know, alyx never knew odessa, the guy who gave you the laser guided missile / rpg in hl2, who was also seen speaking to g-man. Nor was he particularly famous.

If you hang back a few secs after leaving the rebel safehouse with the kleiner-TV in it, the rebels start to talk. When i listened, one of them said "I blame Odessa cubbage". Both Alyx and the rebels dislike odessa for some reason.

So what has that wierdo englishman done?
Who knows...if this is plot significant, this is big news because he's seen talking with G-Man in HL2.

Could someone type out the the course of events in Ep 1 and PM me? I'm tired of waiting!! ;( ;(

I think playing in the country side, as the trailer suggested, would be pretty cool. A change from the normal cityscape and clastophobic Combine architecture.

99.vikram said:
Could someone type out the the course of events in Ep 1 and PM me? I'm tired of waiting!! ;( ;(

Mee too!

Even tho im getting it 2moro, and i'll not do my HW and play it ALLLLLL day (cause it took me a while to beat HL2, and ill be lookin at scenery)

((HW = homework)

cabbs said:
I used to assume that the Citadels were essentially on autopilot once they arrived on Earth, but it really does look like they contain a fair number of Combine Advisors. Maybe the conversations Breen was having in Half-Life 2 weren't long-distance telephone calls, merely talking to his superiors elsewhere in the Citadel?

I'd often wondered who (or what) did the medium-scale strategic planning for the Combine, whether it was a faceless bank of computers or enslaved humans modified specially for the purpose. Well, it looks like it might be the Advisors after all - that red shaft seemed lined with Advisor pods, and there's at least a few dozen present...

Other observation - before you reach the lift going down to the reactor, you can see Overwatch soldiers hanging in open pods in the distance. A closer inspection showed they're like the one seen in Nova Prospekt, only ... graphically superior. And plain disturbing, as usual.

Shepherd released in Episode 2 to capture the wayward scientist :cheese:

I think the transmission Alyx has will contain information about the G-Man and Freeman. Once the Combine realised the G-Man had lost control, they were doing everything possible to tell their off-world superiors.

snowykittenz said:
About Alyx dying...didnt Breen mentions oemthing when you first saw him no teh screen in the citadel about a host body?

Could Alyx perhaps be brough back in one of these...or maybe thats a little "too" speculative...

Also with Gardons powers...whats to say like the Gman that he cant bring her back?

I think breens host body is the combine advisor, because.. When something happened and you say the advisor, it was like when Breen came up on the monitor, but instead it was the combine advisor.. Maybe Breen's host body is the Combine Advisor?

Cargo Cult said:
Other observation - before you reach the lift going down to the reactor, you can see Overwatch soldiers hanging in open pods in the distance. A closer inspection showed they're like the one seen in Nova Prospekt, only ... graphically superior. And plain disturbing, as usual.

I'll have to have a look at that. Cargo did you catch what might have happened to Breen? It wasn't really clear...I'm just looking for resolution, as it was promised we'd get it.

I'm pretty sure he escaped the reactor and fused with the Advisor - now we know there's alot of them it's safe to assume it wouldn't be a radical thing, and what's more they put alot of emphasis on the host body conversation.

WHy is it that the Combine wanted to blow the Citadel's reactor??
What is the Project??
What is this about Cubbage?? (I thought I heard someone say "Are you Cubbage's Daughter? Although I might be hearing things)

AHA-Lambda said:
WHy is it that the Combine wanted to blow the Citadel's reactor??
What is the Project??
What is this about Cubbage?? (I thought I heard someone say "Are you Cubbage's Daughter? Although I might be hearing things)

1. To send a transmission out (their communication system was shut off)
2. Kraken (I'm guessing)
3. It was a joke.

What is Kraken?????

Blowing a reactor to send a message?? I don't see how that works.

Kraken is a base in the arctic. I could be wrong about what they are looking for though.

They destroyed the core to send a transmission. Not practical but it was the only way they could.

and what is kraken, i cant remember the borealis story line at all

Edit: a resistance base or combine?

Kraken??Arctic Bases???????Borealis??? Did I miss something???

Back