stale characters become predictable

O

osbick bird

The narrative needs some real scheming. Start with Kleiner, probably the least intriguing person and comic relief alone is a cul de sac of character development. He initiated of the first teleportation accident, which fails to get Freeman to safety, but also alerts Breen to the return of the hero. He also presided over the second accident delaying Freeman and Alex until the revolution was underway. If you can?t put teleportation aside as a plot device, at least use it for more than happenstance and make Kleiner the evil scientist. He?s not crazy, he doesn?t want the end of mankind, but he does appreciate the advancement in technology and unique biological samples contact with the Combine produces. So he plays a dangerous game of judging equilibrium. The first transporter accident forced the Combine from complacency. Then, a second transporter malfunction gave back to the resistance a commander who could unite their forces after the Combine makes significant gains. Perhaps Kleiner attempted the role of leader for himself, but failed without the necessary charisma to rally more than Barney. Realizing he needed the folkloric power of Alex, Freeman, and the orange suit, he releases them from the transporter. Further devious behavior could be the manipulation of Mossman (who wanted the position of Freeman at Black Mesa) into the role of a double agent. She would only be interacting with the Combine for the respect she?s deliberately denied by her seniors and can only reveal as much as she?s been told. This balances the gains the rebels made under Klein?s scientific tutelage. It?s not just the twist I?m going for here. I?m also looking for a more significant antagonist than Breen.

Breen needs a hidden motive, a good one, or he?s just another stock calibrator without his own personality. I?d be willing to just step over than bother going thru him. Even in the Citadel he addresses Freeman as the same ideologue manner he was broadcasting over TVs and screens throughout the game. He?s an administrator, he?s known that the majority of the population are tools of progress, but with Gordon, and for the player?s sake, there shouldn?t be harping on as he would for the plebs. He knows now fates worse than death, so tell us why he must rationalize in the Combine?s work for the only premium humanity would recognize, and one of humanity?s salient desires, ?immortality? as he says again and again, in servitude.

I?m not expecting much from that figurehead anymore, but someone should herald the strange beliefs of the misanthropic, yet invasive Combine. Initially I was expecting answers to these bigger-picture questions to come from the G-man, but ubiquitous as he is in the game, so far he?s only functioning as the bookends. I was also hoping for some more participation, dropping hints as to his origin, allegiance, or species. Even if you don?t want to bring his story into play (or if its not developed yet), why not involve the errant agent everyone wants to see a bit more of? Use it to make him even more enigmatic. Design a stage where he has to fight with Gordon. He starts with an old service model .45 standing sideways with his arm fully extended, refusing to keep up with the player?s natural, quick pace, and perhaps bossing you around as you work thru some zombies; however, as the level becomes more dangerous with Combine forces attacking, he reaches into his briefcase (without letting us peek) and pulls out some alien wetware. A new bio-weapon that reminds us of the hornet-gun, but this fires a small urchin that steadily deploys its needles internally so before soldiers grab their heads you hear the crack of goggles loosing their vacuum seal, or their limbs spasm from their torso as they fall to the floor, thrashing slower and slower as a puddle of red forms under them and maybe you hear from their body a faint chewing noise. That?s if you want a throwback. If you wanted to bring the portal gun into play, the G-man could open holes in the ceiling and walls for a short time the discarded Hydra tentacles could lunge from. Offhandedly saying, ?don?t look so disgusted. You can?t remember it, but you used to love feeding Hydra. Oh, now you look worse. It must be because of me,? before walking off. You?ve got a varied cast, but they don?t show off their scope, or they don?t seem whole.

Father Grigory was great change of pace from the other scientists and soldiers, and he wasn?t a part of the bigger story. But personally, 3 linear cuts on the side of his head and a piece of a saw blade with three teeth hanging from a leather strap down his back mimicking his cross would elucidate his warped mentality and his saboteur nature.
Dr. Vance is really asymmetrical, loving a daughter who hates the traitor he believes in, but replacing his leg with a carbon fiber prosthesis in the game with the most advanced physics to date and we don?t see him running? Half the time his feet weren?t touching the ground, determined to be treated as a marionette.

I should probably learn to let the little things go and just talk about the big puppet, Gordon. In the first game he was surrounded by just as many sundry characters, but they were his enemies: Houndeyes, Bullsquids, and "Alien Grunts", Gargs, Sand Tentacles (I like to think these are the Strider's legs in mechanical bondage), and the Gonarch. Even with the same goal to kill or be killed, each encounter was different, as were each of the creatures. Lion ants are a far more interesting replacement of Snarks, but different Headcrabs, different zombies, different floating drones: this is variation, but not really variety. If you?re going to use characters to supplant the variety of xenomorphs, great, but you?re going to have to address Gordon?s ability to interact with them.

In the first Half-Life he was a mute, but that was ok for the time and he was mostly bossed around anyway, but now you?ve surrounded him with actors. One of the best forum ideas is ?Filling in the Blanks? and while I can respect the gamer being voice of Gordon, the only other mute, Dog, shows more personality. My opinion is it?s a mistake to not voice the protagonist; you?re dangerously close to Master Chief, who I?m certain is less of a character and more an icon. As the other NPCs become more and more involved Gordon and his player will only be more isolated. So at least script him some evocative, physical reactions, if not some non-play actions. How does he tell his squad where to go if he doesn?t at least point? Couldn?t he help another character stand up? Isn?t he ever going to put his hand on Alyx?s shoulder? There?s an increasingly big world made more pliable, but for someone in HEV suit that?s just not getting any less rigid. If there had been more for Gordon to do during scripts, the end where he was brought to Breen in the Casket-rail would have actually felt restraining, not another expository skit where we are always a bystander, maybe not even that, maybe just an audience. Gordon?s always so damn impassive around others, or at the most acquiescent. This enables a progression in which you participate, but it?s not really a satisfying payoff in the greater, interactive world. Barney?s had his ?flip a switch? joke, now it?s time for Gordon to have that beer, dark ale. The production has gone thru a lot of trouble to not break character for the gamer, but no one wants to be the character who?s a wallflower amongst the NPCs.

Valve has made a tremendous game I enjoyed playing, but the development is sided more on the technological achievement. The Combine is evil, I know evil when I see it, and it?s shooting at me right now, but they lack nuance from any other object in the crosshair of a shoot ?em up. I like to know what my comrades are up too, but so much is exposition after the fact, I find my reveries between load times don?t bother to conjure any expectations, I just wait until latter to hear about their predicaments. If there had been an ominous, aerial gunship-cade preceding the news of Vance?s capture, I may have been a little apprehensive about my next rendezvous, especially so if I were to have invested some personal time with them as individuals.

I read it all. I don't... it's just... aah...

Are you serious about that Gman fight? And the HL1 tentacles are the 'striders legs in mechanical bondage'? and...arh

I just wasted 3 minutes of my life reading that garbage i'am just not going to bother responding to it.

All who see the opening post: Don't be scared off by its Dissertation-like length. It's actually pretty hilarious.
initiated presided happenstance equilibrium folkloric tutelage calibrator ideologue salient servitude misanthropic ubiquitous errant elucidate asymmetrical prosthesis marionette sundry bondage xenomorphs evocative pliable expository acquiescent nuance exposition reveries conjure predicaments ominous rendezvous
You're either an anal 14 year old given his first peek in a dictionary, or a time-traveling industrialist on a mission to critique all entertainment.

You've titled a thread to make it look like a critique of the characters, then instead you largely make glaringly obvious observations about them, dressing your sentences up with archaisms and one hell of a lot of talking around the point. You talk about a 3 year old game in isolation of its sequels which fix the few criticisms you actually have. You lecture on making the G-Man more enigmatic, then claim that the best way to achieve this is to have him fight the player, preferably by sticking his hand in the arse of some kind of parasitic alien weapon. Your argument is overlong, structureless but thankfully, entirely hilarious to read because of its infectious pomposity.

Please post again.

edit: And who did you think you're talking to when you used 'you' 17 times? Valve aren't in the habit of reading our fan forums, and they're not going to make an exception for this verbose piece of hilarity.

T

I?m not expecting much from that figurehead anymore, but someone should herald the strange beliefs of the misanthropic, yet invasive Combine. Initially I was expecting answers to these bigger-picture questions to come from the G-man, but ubiquitous as he is in the game, so far he?s only functioning as the bookends. I was also hoping for some more participation, dropping hints as to his origin, allegiance, or species. Even if you don?t want to bring his story into play (or if its not developed yet), why not involve the errant agent everyone wants to see a bit more of? Use it to make him even more enigmatic. Design a stage where he has to fight with Gordon. He starts with an old service model .45 standing sideways with his arm fully extended, refusing to keep up with the player?s natural, quick pace, and perhaps bossing you around as you work thru some zombies; however, as the level becomes more dangerous with Combine forces attacking, he reaches into his briefcase (without letting us peek) and pulls out some alien wetware. A new bio-weapon that reminds us of the hornet-gun, but this fires a small urchin that steadily deploys its needles internally so before soldiers grab their heads you hear the crack of goggles loosing their vacuum seal, or their limbs spasm from their torso as they fall to the floor, thrashing slower and slower as a puddle of red forms under them and maybe you hear from their body a faint chewing noise. That?s if you want a throwback. If you wanted to bring the portal gun into play, the G-man could open holes in the ceiling and walls for a short time the discarded Hydra tentacles could lunge from. Offhandedly saying, ?don?t look so disgusted. You can?t remember it, but you used to love feeding Hydra. Oh, now you look worse. It must be because of me,? before walking off. You?ve got a varied cast, but they don?t show off their scope, or they don?t seem whole.

I lol'd

Whatever he's taking I want some!

That really hurt my brain to read. Such mumbo jumbo, no structure at all.

Wow. I hope you're not a game developer. or a writer.

You argument can never be persuasive if you failed to spell "Alyx" correctly. Honestly, when I came to the word "Alex", I stopped reading.

You argument can never be persuasive if you failed to spell "Alyx" correctly. Honestly, when I came to the word "Alex", I stopped reading.

Sadly, I saw that spelling of Alyx in what was supposed to be a professional review of Episode Two :/

Nearly the same, but about the feelings of Gordon, that could be more true. Although only way to make yourself careful when your mate has died crouch to him and make a sad face. D:

Sadly, I saw that spelling of Alyx in what was supposed to be a professional review of Episode Two :/

Because those reviews are already professional. If someone were to professionalise his or her review from the very beginning, he or she must know the game, the characters' names, better.

Welcome to the forums first of all, friend. Let me be the first to actually comment on the points in your post rather than remark at how long, unstructured, and unnecessarily sesquipedalian it is.

You call for more fleshed-out character development, yet you seem to be contradicting yourself by going in all the wrong directions. Dr. Kleiner, an "evil" scientist with Breen-like ideology and aspirations of power? This goes against everything established in the character's history; you might as well slap a goatee on him and call him Anti-Kleiner from the Bizarro Universe.

Isaac Kleiner is the loveable, amiable old absent-minded professor. While mainly a device for comic relief with all his unexpected bumblings, his verbose scientific speech that seems to bore everyone else but him, the way he generally behaves is lighthearted and, in such a game as Half-Life where the tensions run high, a bit of humor--from a gameplay perspective--really breaks it up and serves to ease the player. If for no other reason, I always enjoy seeing Dr. Kleiner because I know that once I am in his presence I am able to take a breather and relax, if only for a moment. I enjoy all of his scientific banter and watching him play off of characters: his back-and-forth with Eli; playing an almost familial role with Alyx; watching him wave off Barney's cynicism and doubts; and, most recently, watch the ever meek and humble professor be cowed around--to his obvious yet unspoken displeasure--by the blowhard Dr. Slick. I mean, Magnusson. Dr. Magnusson.

So you see his character is developing, it's just not going by any sweeping twists. Real human beings aren't prone to wild shifts in their personalities unless they have mental disorders. There's absolutely no prior canonical precedent that even HINTS at the professor wanting a leadership role in the resistance, or thinking along a Breen-like path. In fact the only time Dr. Kleiner ever voices the opinion that a technology could be beneficial for mankind was with the Borealis, yet Eli's words managed to convince him of its danger. Even in this, his intent wasn't sinister; Dr. Kleiner is a true scientist, a person interested in the pursuit of knowledge. To him, the Borealis serves as simply another thing to study and possibly use for the benefit of mankind. Any comparisons to Breen are minor at best.

Now, Dr. Breen himself, what more motive could you have wanted? If you really want to know why he "harps on to Gordon," it's because he believes in the Combine's methods. Truly believes in them. It is in this single, unflinching dedication to his masters, to PROGRESS, that more is spoken about his character than any hidden agendas or other plot contrivances could. He speaks to Gordon as he does the masses because, as a fellow scientist, it truly baffles him that Gordon cannot see the benefit of the Combine's rule. It does not make him one-dimensional; rather, it makes him human. If nothing else in typing up this post I come to reexamine and refresh my memory of the characters' personalities in order to convey them to you, and in doing so I have to marvel at just how human the characters are. As a writer myself, knowing how it is to write a convincing human, the character depth in Half-Life really astounds me.

Now we come to the G-man. While I do not deny that I myself would like to see a fight with the interdimensional bureaucrat (if only to see his power), and I will even admit that your idea that he should use some "alien wetware" piqued my interest, I must say that, truly, it's the wrong way to go about building intrigue. Less is more with the G-man. Less has always been more with the G-man.

I'll skip over some of the other stuff, because I really don't feel it worth mentioning, and go right to Gordon.

I thought along the same vein as you did once. I do not wish to hear Gordon speak, ever, yet would it be so bad to have him emote in nonverbal ways that convey his emotions to the player? It didn't take a lot of thought to realize that yes, it would.

Again, less is more. Any unnecessary action by Gordon Freeman actually HURTS the player's experience. What if, for example, I did not envision Gordon putting a reassuring hand on Alyx Vance's shoulder after the climax of Episode Two? What if I imagined him standing off to the side, horrorstruck, turning away from the scene and letter her have a moment?

What if, during a battle with Combine forces alongside members of the resistance, I don't feel like reaching down to give someone a helping hand, but rather I rush forward to protect them or ignore them completely for the greater good? What if I don't imagine Gordon pointing to an area for his squad to move to? What if I see him flicking his chin up in the general direction rather than pointing?

Unnecessary actions. And if there is anything I want to see him do, or feel that he should be doing that he doesn't through a scripted, modeled animation, I can simply imagine that he's done it. I do it all the time when I play the game; I imagine when he talks and what he says, and I imagine any nonverbal gestures or interactions with NPCs. In this way I insert a part of myself into the character, and likewise have my idea of Gordon Freeman played back to me, rather than having Gordon Freeman IMPOSED upon me. The character and the player thus define each other.

Breen needs a hidden motive, a good one, or he?s just another stock calibrator without his own personality.

I thought the whole "you get to be the advisor of earth and live the most comfortably while alliancing yourself with part of the largest army in the galaxy" would be enough of a motive?

rather than remark at how long, unstructured, and unnecessarily sesquipedalian it is.

You just did. :p

Tbh, I would've said almost everything you've said.

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong or stale about the characters set out in Half-Life 2. The Original Half-Life, if anything, had more predictable characters. You could guess what they were going to do, know what they were going to say, and really, all they were there for was to keep you entertained. In Half-Life 2, they've been evolved, combined and grown into individuals with personalities and things to say. Their characters are about as stale as yours or mine. Episode One and Two just expand on these characters, subtely introducing new ones with different personalities allowing for the old characters to develop, and to give a more "real" atmosphere.

I mean, how many people in real life do you know that suddenly turn around and are amazingly evil all of a sudden. Valve have spent alot of time developing these characters to build into the Half-Life universe and help the player explore it.

Really, the characters are barely necessary. The game play you encounter and interact with is satisfactory enough, and judging from your remarks, you appear not to have even played Half-Life, or even thought about anything as you did.

If you want what you're asking for, go play Halo. Things make less sense there.

You just did. :p

I mean, how many people in real life do you know that suddenly turn around and are amazingly evil all of a sudden. Valve have spent alot of time developing these characters to build into the Half-Life universe and help the player explore it.

I can think of a place where this type of behavior is prevalent, professional wrestling. I can see it now, Dr. Kleiner is all happy one minute, spouting out all sorts of scientific techno-babble, the next minute he's wielding a chair like a crazy person after having blasted Eli and Alyx with headshots while gordon's back was turned.

Seriously, the characters in Half-Life are fine. There are a few that have ulterior motives, or at least hidden motives, which adds enough intrigue to the storyline. Please for the love of god don't make everybody have a hidden agenda. That would pretty much wreck all the effort that's been put into developing the characters.

I can think of a place where this type of behavior is prevalent, professional wrestling. I can see it now, Dr. Kleiner is all happy one minute, spouting out all sorts of scientific techno-babble, the next minute he's wielding a chair like a crazy person after having blasted Eli and Alyx with headshots while gordon's back was turned.

Heh... like the perfect scene. We should make a spoof mod for HL2. Everything totally wacky. You accidently get teleported into Breen's office and he's having a tea party :p.

Could have loads of fun.

G-man using a .45 with one, extended hand made me laugh my arse off.
"You are in the wrong turf.. Mr. Freeman.."

He can just disable your keys... wait, is that breaking the fourth wall...?

Because every professional reviewer should know that Alyx's name is spelt in an unusual manner despite the fact that it's not written down once in the entire game.

That's why we need people like Cave Johnson in the storyline. Mercurialism FTW!
G-Mantis is awesome idea, kupo!

Because every professional reviewer should know that Alyx's name is spelt in an unusual manner despite the fact that it's not written down once in the entire game.

It is written down on the picture Alyx made of uncle Kleiner.

And one would also assume that - being professional game reviewers - they'd be aware of the Half-Life saga and find that every print media regarding the games spells the name "Alyx". Surely they actually research the games before they review them?

It's like if I did a professional review of FF7 and misspelled "Aries".

And one would also assume that - being professional game reviewers - they'd be aware of the Half-Life saga and find that every print media regarding the games spells the name "Alyx". Surely they actually research the games before they review them?

It's like if I did a professional review of FF7 and misspelled "Aries".

No, they just play the game without subtitles :p

Except when you enable subtitles.

Because reviewers are deaf?

I often have subtitles on. Mostly because I have to turn the volume down, but often you miss something without them, and because it's easier to read them than hanging around and waiting for them to finish.

Back