Stalker clear sky review from PC Gamer UK, it's not very good

• Thread starter Deleted member 56031
  • Start date
STALKER: Clear Sky > Crysis

Atmosphere FTW

Not saying whats better, just comparing performance.

did you shop the stalker one or what's with the depth of field?

Nope, thats part of the game. Happens when you reload.

This is true, with volumetric light (which only happens for the first couple of hours as the sun rises incidentally) it chugs, unlike Crysis, which has it on all the time. It's a badly optimised engine. Still.

I would disagree on difficulty though, it's no harder than any other fps, even on hardest setting. You just have to remember running and gunning isn't the best way to play it - planning ahead and headshots from long distance = win.
I can headshot enemies with my Vintar half a mile away, as Duty have been finding out recently, even got a kill from a ricochet which made me grin :)

No, it happens everytime the sun is rising. About the difficulty i wasnt saying it was HARD, just HARDER then S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl.

I just find that the bandits being able to shoot you super accurately through 20 foot thick bushes pretty bullshit. But they got theirs. Distracted by boars and finished by me.

ffs, now the game is constantly crashing for me. I can't go beyond the objective "Find Fang's PDA" without it crashing from me entering the Garbage. I think the Bandits missions screwed it up as Yoga just stands in his 'talking on the radio' pose and I can't talk to him. Maybe killing the shit will fix it. :p

No, it happens everytime the sun is rising

Didn't I already say that..? must be a glitch in the matrix.

Yeah i'm getting regular crashes and reboots now, usually when I'm running and covering a lot of ground - too much stuff tries to load, stutters, and it falls over. Just like the first game.

I just find that the bandits being able to shoot you super accurately through 20 foot thick bushes pretty bullshit. But they got theirs. Distracted by boars and finished by me.

When you have to get passed the Army Base i was getting very angry..but thats the only time it happens for me. (playing on hard)

Ya and the game hasnt crashed yet for me.

Really tempted to spend my cash on this... but I'm saving for a car, and from the reviews of everyone it doesn't sound worth more than $20. :(

I can't play it until I get a new graphics card for this piece of shit laptop. Great.

A good way I found to make DX10 run almost exactly like DX9 does is to turn "r3_msaa" to off in a file called user.ltx, because when you turn DX10 on, it also forces AA.

screenhunter01sep160712pv9.gif

User.ltx is found at "\Users\Public\Documents\STALKER-STCS"

It works only for people who are trying to enable DX10.

does anyone know how to get rid of bobblehead effect? I hated this when I played first stalker and I want to remove it.

I used to hate that in UT but I don't seem to notice it in non-super-on-your-toes type games.

A good way I found to make DX10 run almost exactly like DX9 does is to turn "r3_msaa" to off in a file called user.ltx, because when you turn DX10 on, it also forces AA.

screenhunter01sep160712pv9.gif

User.ltx is found at "\Users\Public\Documents\STALKER-STCS"

It works only for people who are trying to enable DX10.

on XP too?

What's the point of making dx10 run like dx9?

Anyway, can anyone answer my previous question?

Alright, sounds like it would be better to wait for a while... maybe a weekend sale or something, or at least until its patched.

So those who have finished it, is it official, less mutants? :(

What's the point of making dx10 run like dx9?

The point is, DX10 looks better and it's in fact worth it this time, imo. The wet surfaces effect is really awesome and I LOVE it.

And ZT, yeah, less mutants. :(

Well, I don't have any problem with running on dx10, so I guess I'm safe.

Anyway, do you know how to get rid of the head bobble effect?

one of my few complaints about it is that their aren't enough traders that buy guns!!! How the hell am I supposed to make money to buy stuff if the only thing people will buy from me is my damn ammo. If I want a trader that will give me money for guns I have to load up and then walk across 2 load screens to get to one :(

I think CS maybe bugged for me (there's a surprise!). Potential spoilers to follow, although anyone who has got to the army warehouses may be able to shed some light on my situation:

I've met with the merc group in the 'bloodsucker' village of the army warehouses and I've killed the blood sucker in the water tower and got the radio message from the lost merc group. Only thing is, after that if I check my PDA it tells me to return to yantar to a previous objective that I've already completed (installing the valve).

I'm pretty sure it's bugged as why would I have to travel all the way back to yantar to meet with a loner group? Also when I travel around the army warehouses I keep picking up broken radio messages from the supposed missing merc group. Anyone have any idea what I'm supposed to do? Picture related.

buggedcsga5.jpg

one of my few complaints about it is that their aren't enough traders that buy guns!!! How the hell am I supposed to make money to buy stuff if the only thing people will buy from me is my damn ammo. If I want a trader that will give me money for guns I have to load up and then walk across 2 load screens to get to one :(

Don't be a gun runner then, unless you know you are near a trader.

Ammo sells for more money than guns and you can carry more. It's everywhere. Find the supply boxes at each outpost, take all the grey boxes of bullets (armour piercing especially) and sell them, you will get 2-3k just from those. Sell also the pale green ammo boxes for another 1-2k. If you are a member of a faction, steal the other faction's ammo.

Also, a good place to lurk if you want quick cash (assuming you are neutral to all factions) is the north end of garbage, at the collapsed building full of Stalkers. They are all traders, and one of them buys guns too. Just to the east of the building near the small lake, Duty and Freedom regularly kick each other's asses. Go spectate, pick up the loot after the fireworks, and sell to the Stalker traders 50 yards away. Before too long you will have enough for a Bulat suit. :)

Finished it

What the ****.
Nice ending...

I'm fighting the urge to look in this place for non-spoiler comments. I'll have to finish the game before coming back...

Something really cool happened. Check it.

So 1st im going to tell you guys how i got 40000 before i started chasing Fang. So you know the side quest where you have to get the special medkit from the army base. Well i assumed that after you killed everyone it would be like the 1st part, no one shows up. So i kill everyone all 23 army dudes. Get everything i can carry and put all the weapons in the chest on the 2nd level. All 23 guns. I go to my base sell all the pistols and shitty ammo, stock everything else. So im going back and i see 23 more army dudes and im like ****ing holy shit. They have my shit! Long story short i went back to swamps to pick up some cash i left in mission rewards then came back and prepared for my super mission to attack the army again. I killed another 23 army dudes, this time i took all 48 guns and dropped them over the wall! As soon as i got done i see a battalion of dudes coming so im like **** this im out! Go to base sell everything shitty and come back pick up stuff. Took me 2 trips with a artifact and only got spotted the 2nd time.

I play the game with backup medkits, radiation kits, ammo for EVERYGUN, a lot for the good guns and less for the shitty guns. All types. Sell everything else, stuff im never going to use. Sometimes i take my shotty, sometimes i go simi and autos. I also have a few special upgraded weapons and armores on hold. Once i get something better if im using a upgraded model im not going to sell it just add it to my collection.

Anyway point is i have a lot of shit "just incase" something happens and what do you ****ing know, chasing fang = stalker rape! They took everything! So i get up no money just a pistol and im bleeding to death. I go ok wtf. Tryed to see if i can get a bandage or anything but no. So i reload, put everything in the chest up top get raped and just took all my stuff when i came out, then i saw the mission where you can get everything back, im like ****ing cool getting my 40000 back! But no. So i go back to my stalker base and get into my stock pill, take everything i need and sell everything else. Back to 25000!~ Ownage!

I have a few storys like this, and a few collections i made in the 1st game. Like this for example. This is before i left for the end in the 1st game:

PSS, all good things come to a end. Game is instant crashing for me everytime i load. So i load up a 30 min prier save and it happens 30 mins later again. Different area? I tryed this. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/stalkerclearsky/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-45473561&pid=942067

ugh.. so at 1st i thought i fixed it, ran right out of freedom base and waited for that time. Didnt crash, so im like cool went back did what i wanted played for 15 mins and boom crash again..wtf is causing this, iv played over 10 hours without 1 crash and now its not stoping. There has got to be a reason.

I went for the "Finish the game pronto" approach.
I only got 1 relic the entire game and probably passed some areas all together :/

I think CS maybe bugged for me (there's a surprise!). Potential spoilers to follow, although anyone who has got to the army warehouses may be able to shed some light on my situation:

I've met with the merc group in the 'bloodsucker' village of the army warehouses and I've killed the blood sucker in the water tower and got the radio message from the lost merc group. Only thing is, after that if I check my PDA it tells me to return to yantar to a previous objective that I've already completed (installing the valve).

I'm pretty sure it's bugged as why would I have to travel all the way back to yantar to meet with a loner group? Also when I travel around the army warehouses I keep picking up broken radio messages from the supposed missing merc group. Anyone have any idea what I'm supposed to do? Picture related.

buggedcsga5.jpg

Ignore that and continue. The scripts are all working, except for the mission objective marker.

Had a few of those in Oblivion Lost :(

They just get a bit annoying after a while mate; or has the actual game come a cropper?

so how's the performance compared to SoC, say if you run at comparable settings, better/worse?

I think it's a pretty good game so far, it's just not as easy to get into as the money is harder to get. But I like the way it feels and the fact that your arm now does change depending on your suit!

I wonder how to port CS stuff to SHOC.

Also, guys.

Fang was killed by a guy with a scar on his face and chestnut eyes, according to Ghost's entry in the Agroprom hideout database. Coincidence?

Also, who'd like a story analysis in the form of an investigative commitee's report?

Well id like to be able to play the game again...

Untill it instant crashes everytime you load :(

Not 1 crash for HOURS DAYS!!! Now i cant play..

Damn I'm having me some fun. I like the teammate stuff with other stalkers and going after dem bandits! GENOCIDE TO ALL BANDITS.

Back