Steam Question

M

maxtrix

Some time ago I baught HL2 via steam. However a few weeks ago I had to reformat my computer, and lost all my steam games.

Since HL2 is 3.6GB big, and I don't want to download that much, I was wondering that if you buy episode 1 (in retail/DVD form), do you still have to download those 3.6gb again to play the original HL2? It uses the same engine etc. so I would assume that you could play HL2 if you have it "unlocked" in steam.

It sounds a bit confusing, but its simple. I dont have a hl2 cd. I dont want to re-download it from steam. I am willing to buy episode 1 if that enables me to play HL2 without downloading it all again (steam).

Help is very much appreciated.

No, you don't need to own Half-Life 2 to play Episode One, for it is a stand-alone product.

I'm pretty sure you're still going to have to connect to steam and download a small amount of stuff (updates, etc.) before you are able to play Episode 1.

Edit: And after reading your post again, yes you would have to download quite a lot of stuff to be able to play HL2...probably not the full 3.6 because a lot of that would already be on the Episode 1 disk.

No, you would have to download all those 3.6gb files again to play HL2.

I know the pain of having your computer reformatted, everything I ever lovd died, and now it's floating somewhere in the void with Windows 98 FE

Next time round, make a backup of your steam games. Saves you most of the downloading.

edit: buying Episode One will net you about 1/3 or so of the shared materials between the two games. There is still about 2gigs on top of that, because map and map individual art-assets are among the largest HDD space-gobblers these days. Obviously, Valve/EA aren't going to give you the entire of HL2 for free.

Another thing: don't pay more than you have to for Episode One. The UK price in particular is extortionate: $20 > £20 is not a fair exchange rate ($20 is about £10. Given that all you get is a crappy plastic case with a redundant piece of paper inside, it's like they're charging a £10 tax on materialism). Find out what $20 is in your currency (it may well be $20 :p) and avoiding paying more than that. Episode One IS a great game, but only at or below Steam's RRP.

Back