Steam questions

Alientank

Reaction score
I have HL2, and if I want to play it on steam, how do I add it to the list? It doesn't autodetect. Also, if I want to download DOD source, I can't browse through steam to get it, but have to go to dayofdefeat.com to get it? And when HL2 is for sale, will there just be a popup when it updates saying that it's for sale and we can buy right away? I posted this in here just wondering if it goes the same for CS (like DOD) and also if we buy Silver, that CSS will be available right away to download.

1.)you dont have hl2
2.)it doesnt show, because of # 1
3.)eh...?
4.)most likely there will be a pop-up
5.)eh...?
6.)poop

You guys are reading his question wrong. He is posting a hypothetical question but it should of started like this. If I had hl2.

So here are your answers.

1. You don't play hl2 on steam becuase it is a single player. It would be like playing condition zero. If you preloaded hl2 it will be on your steam game folder right now but if you try to play it, it just says a locked copy of hl2 is on your hard drive. Meaning that if you want to play hl2 you would have to purchase a cd key in stores or off of steam and It will unlock so that you can play it.

2. DOD source the mod you will have to pay for it. You wont be able to dl it off of any site you will only be able to buy it either from steam or from a store.

3. Hl2 will be sold through steam just like any other game is sold through steam. Once it is available for pre-purchase, there will be a tab asking you if you want to purchase it.

4. Here are what the steam packages will come with. If you preorder HL2 off of steam then you will get cs source early since it is the only mod finished and when hl2 becomes available, the preloaded copy will be unlocked for you to play the only hard part is to figure out which one you want. If you buy bronze then DOD and HL1source will be an extra cost at a later time don't ask how much because no one knows and no one knows dates.

Bronze — HL2* and CS:Source.

Silver — HL2*, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source*, Day of Defeat: Source*, Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam.

Gold — HL2*, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 1: Source*, Day of Defeat: Source*, Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam, Complete Strategy Guide from Prima Games, 3 different Half-Life 2 posters, Half-Life 2 hat, Half-Life 2 postcard, Half-Life 2 stickers, Half-Life 2 Soundtrack CD, Chance to win a trip to Valve! (1 trip offered for every 5000 Gold packages purchased).

5. Sorry I had to pwn you with all this info noob but if you just went to the front page of www.halflife2.net all this info would of been there for you to read as long as you know how to scroll. Next time don't post stupid questions you can find answers to by just opening your eyes or doing a search for it in the search engine. You have officialy been pwned noob.

VodkA-HLC- said:
You guys are reading his question wrong. He is posting a hypothetical question but it should of started like this. If I had hl2.
I don't think he is saying "If I had" just doesn't read like that...he is prolly trying to add the crap leaked stolen thing to steam.

Yea that was my fault guys, I meant to say, I have HALF LIFE 1, not 2. Sorry. I know all about the packages and that. It was mainly directed towards HL1 and CSS.

Do you still have your Half-Life 1 CD-Key Alientank?

You need to click on "Browse Games" then when a new dialogue comes up, you need to click on the "Register a product I already own..." button. Follow the on screen instructions and enter your CD-key.

Steam will do a quick authentication and providing you haven't been unlucky enough to have had your CD-key stolen, it should register. Then automatically you will have all Valve titles appear in your list, all minus CS:Source and CS:CZ (unless of course you have those on there already).

Hope that helps, let me know how you get on :)

Chris_D said:
Do you still have your Half-Life 1 CD-Key Alientank?

You need to click on "Browse Games" then when a new dialogue comes up, you need to click on the "Register a product I already own..." button. Follow the on screen instructions and enter your CD-key.

Steam will do a quick authentication and providing you haven't been unlucky enough to have had your CD-key stolen, it should register. Then automatically you will have all Valve titles appear in your list, all minus CS:Source and CS:CZ (unless of course you have those on there already).

Hope that helps, let me know how you get on :)

Alright I saw that tab but wasn't sure if that was what I had to use. I will try it when I get home from school, thanks again :) I meant to say HL1 yesterday night, but was a little tired and didn't proof read everything before posting. Sorry :)

That's fine, I do it with my news posts and articles all the time :E

Now just wondering, when I go to register and it displays all the games, can I just download off steam DOD and that? Or do I still have to go to a seperate site like dayofdefeat.com to get DOD?

Alientank said:
Now just wondering, when I go to register and it displays all the games, can I just download off steam DOD and that? Or do I still have to go to a seperate site like dayofdefeat.com to get DOD?
The idea of Steam is to make things easy and bring the content to you, rather than you having to go and find the content.

This means you can download everything through the Steam client.

The only thing you need to go and find yourself is downloads for third-party mods like Sven Co-Op etc.

Chris_D said:
The idea of Steam is to make things easy and bring the content to you, rather than you having to go and find the content.

This means you can download everything through the Steam client.

The only thing you need to go and find yourself is downloads for third-party mods like Sven Co-Op etc.

Beautiful! :D I've played DOD in the past but once steam came I quit because steam used to really suck and it was frustrating. Knowing now that it works a lot better and all mods are available to download off steam directly from valves fast ftp servers, I'll be getting back into DOD again! I'm just new to steam that's all, but thanks again, I'll try it when I'm home :)

Make sure you let me know how you get on :)

Yeah, Steam is so much better than it used to be.

BTW, When HL2 is available to buy, it all depends on your Steam setting how you'll be notified of it. There is some settings (In the settings section) where you can specify if you want to see pop up ads for their new games or not.

But of course, with my supernatural, superfast news posting abilities - you'll probably find out from our front page :p [/arrogance]

Chris_D said:
Make sure you let me know how you get on :)

Yeah, Steam is so much better than it used to be.

BTW, When HL2 is available to buy, it all depends on your Steam setting how you'll be notified of it. There is some settings (In the settings section) where you can specify if you want to see pop up ads for their new games or not.

But of course, with my supernatural, superfast news posting abilities - you'll probably find out from our front page :p [/arrogance]

Will do! I'll let you know :) And yes, chances are everyone and their mother will know about it 5 minutes after it's out for release over steam :p I'll set it for popups anyways.

Well I have a problem. Seems I registered this CD key with Steam a while ago and I put in the address that I used to sign up with it, however I haven't recieved an email address yet from Steam. I also tried putting the cd key in to get it to send a message to that email account but it hasn't shown up in the one I'm pretty sure I put it into. So now...I'm not really sure what I can do? I have the cd key of my Blue Shift, should I try that instead?

Edit: I tried using the blueshift CD key with my new account name and new email address, and it accepted it and I can get the HL platinum pack to download, so all is well :)

Right now it's preloading everything. Thanks again. Also, when it preloads all the games, when it uploads CS, DOD, etc, will it upload the very latest version of the games? Or just the first one released.

Alright so all I had installed was just HL. It did it's steam update with downloading DOD. I went to play DOD and it was fine however, I went to play CS and I haven't installed that yet, but it loaded it up like I had it installed. When I selected what programs I wanted to have on here when I originally was given a list to choose from, did it download and install all the mods that I had checked on the list and just installed everything (CS, DOD, etc)?

And also, I'm planning to buy the Silver package off steam for HL2, is it alright if I preload HL2 right now and still get the steam package, and will it recognize that I've got this installed? Or will it make me uninstall this or just install over it, the new Half life 2?

One last question, if I pre-load HL 2, and then they release the retail, will it just update what I have to the current retail version like it does all other games? Thanks.

BigWalnutZ said:
I don't think he is saying "If I had" just doesn't read like that...he is prolly trying to add the crap leaked stolen thing to steam.

Negative.

Alientank said:
Alright so all I had installed was just HL. It did it's steam update with downloading DOD. I went to play DOD and it was fine however, I went to play CS and I haven't installed that yet, but it loaded it up like I had it installed. When I selected what programs I wanted to have on here when I originally was given a list to choose from, did it download and install all the mods that I had checked on the list and just installed everything (CS, DOD, etc)?

And also, I'm planning to buy the Silver package off steam for HL2, is it alright if I preload HL2 right now and still get the steam package, and will it recognize that I've got this installed? Or will it make me uninstall this or just install over it, the new Half life 2?

One last question, if I pre-load HL 2, and then they release the retail, will it just update what I have to the current retail version like it does all other games? Thanks.
Not sure about the CS thing. Doesn't effect your game does it?

Yes it will recognize you have the silver package and unlock the contente.

If you tried to install the game from the CD it would use the data from the CD, but if you've already preloaded Half-Life 2 then it's pointless. What you would do is register the Half-Life 2 CD key from your retail box and it will unlock the Half-Life 2 preload.

BigWalnutZ said:

That "crap leaked stolen thing" is the same thing you preordered buddy :LOL:

Back