Stern's Hero of the Day: Atheist wins right to wear Pasta Strainer as religious symbo

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
_54049868_hl_fuehrerschein_110712.jpg

An Austrian atheist has won the right to be shown on his driving-licence photo wearing a pasta strainer as "religious headgear".

Niko Alm first applied for the licence three years ago after reading that headgear was allowed in official pictures only for confessional reasons. Mr Alm said the sieve was a requirement of his religion, pastafarianism.

The Austrian authorities required him to obtain a doctor's certificate that he was "psychologically fit" to drive. The idea came into Mr Alm's noodle three years ago as a way of making a serious, if ironic, point.

A self-confessed atheist, Mr Alm says he belongs to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, a light-hearted faith whose members call themselves pastafarians.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14135523

HAHAHAHAHAHA THAT'S SO FUNNY HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Yeah, this is just not news worthy at all.

It's obviously been a slow day in the BBC newsroom.

should he be wearing pasta on his head?

As I recall, Stylo is a christian, and quite reactionary at that I think.

Please tell us your religious views Stylo.

I'd rather we just laugh at the clever guy who forced an entire nation to recognise a pasta strainer as a religious symbol. jebus even if you are religious you have to admit it's quite the feat

also I'm not quite sure why Stylo would be upset over this. I mean he could point out that the atheist is actually commenting on religions not based on christianity; it's about wearing religious headgear and that typically means muslims, jews, or Sikhs

Or maybe it's just that this isn't worthy of anything more than an image dump post with a caption.

This ^ but thanks for all the "OMG HE MUST BE A CHRISTIAN RELIGIOUS ZEALOT PERSON" comments just because I find something someone who happens to be an Atheist did pointless.

Totally no hypocrisy going on in this thread.

I forgot that not finding something funny was an over reaction. I apologise for my extreme actions.

you know a far better way to show you have no interest is by not posting at all. I mean whenever someone posts a thread about ponies I dont bother replying in that thread because hey I dont like ponies (well not enough to bother having an opinion). but I forgot this is the internet what with the look at me I have no interest in this thread but I'm posting anyways mentality ..hmm but I guess people like vegeta would simply never post anything if everyone just replied when they were genuinely interested in something

..hmm but I guess people like vegeta would simply never post anything if everyone just replied when they were genuinely interested in something
Because you're an expert on the things I post, having me on ignore and all.

I've always wondered whether someone could get away with doing something like that. Quite a lot of work to prove a point, but funny nonetheless.

Lets be honest Vegeta, your argument in this thread isn't about it's content, but rather your disliking of anything Stern posts.

you know a far better way to show you have no interest is by not posting at all. I mean whenever someone posts a thread about ponies I dont bother replying in that thread because hey I dont like ponies (well not enough to bother having an opinion). but I forgot this is the internet what with the look at me I have no interest in this thread but I'm posting anyways mentality ..hmm but I guess people like vegeta would simply never post anything if everyone just replied when they were genuinely interested in something

But then how would people ever learn to not post threads like this?

I fully support this man. I need to renew my passport and there is similar rule for religious headgear for that too. It's ridiculous. Your religion has nothing to do with your passport and should have nothing to do with the rules for passport photos.

Lets be honest Vegeta, your argument in this thread isn't about it's content, but rather your disliking of anything Stern posts.
I won't deny that I put Stern's thread under special scrutiny, but don't try to tell me that I'm not just as bitchy to anyone else on the forum. Do you see me making posts like that in every single Stern thread? It definitely depends on what the thread is, I don't just go stern hating randomly. This thread is one of his dumber ones, for the reason I explained.

I fully support this man.

he certainly was using his noodle

Stylo said:

well you had no problem ignoring that thread so obviously you know how to ignore you just dont know how to ignore things that you're not interested in. frankly I find it incredibly easy to ignore things I couldnt give two shits about but who am I too judge how effective people are at ignoring things?

Yah, I don't have to post in every thread. It's a team effort!

you should prove how disinterested you are by not posting. there's a novel idea

Easily the dumbest Stern thread in a year. Not really a fair way to represent his contribution to the forum - he's responsible for posting a staggering percentage of new threads, most of which spur some entertaining discussion, making him a lot more valuable as a contributor to the forum than most of the other posters.

I do find it amusing how Vegeta and a few others just love to rip up on Stern everywhere he goes though. I can just see you guys in rocking chairs next to each other at the old folks' home halfheartedly bitching away at one another about the same shit 50 years from now. Or rather, Vegeta will be bitching and Stern will be drooling and pooping in his pants.

I do find it amusing how Vegeta and a few others just love to rip up on Stern everywhere he goes though. I can just see you guys in rocking chairs next to each other at the old folks' home halfheartedly bitching away at one another about the same shit 50 years from now. Or rather, Vegeta will be bitching and Stern will be drooling and pooping in his pants.
Like I said, I don't rip up Stern everywhere he goes. And don't say only 'a few others' just because I'm one of the only people who actually post about it. Almost everyone who knows Stern well enough and is the kind of person that cares enough about what other people do on the forum knows that Stern posts some stupid stuff, to the point of being annoying. We were talking about it in steamchat just earlier today, before this thread was even made.

contributor to the forum
Oh he's contributing, that makes it all better! It's not necessarily the stories he posts, but the reason he posts them and the commentary he provides. Remember that list Raziaar made of things stern likes to make fun of? It's shockingly accurate. And he makes the same ****ing dumb jokes every time. This is why I and others find him annoying. I'm glad you find that amusing.

He's basically just like your dad forwarding you stupid chain emails with funny pictures of them. If you don't find that annoying to have on hl2.net, then more power to you. As for me, it gets under my skin sometimes.

And 'contributing' is a bit of a stretch. All he does is post news, sometimes with no commentary at all, most of the time with some one liner attempting to be funny. Stern couldn't come up with original content to save his life.

I'm less ripping up and more casually jabbing in the side with my elbow.

I forgot that not finding something funny was an over reaction. I apologise for my extreme actions.

Make no mistake you were an overacting **** there, and are a **** in general. In fact, you really should stop posting here, nobody likes you.

Make no mistake you were an overacting **** there, and are a **** in general. In fact, you really should stop posting here, nobody likes you.

YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND MY SUFFERING :'(

Hey he's far from being the worst member on this forum.

Also this thread is just dumb. 0/5 stars.

Yeah that guy is a real hero! They should strap a medal on him for being so bad ass.

And I only dislike Stern because he seems to post ANYTHING if its the slightest bit anti-religious and I still see no reason for it. If there was a news story about a hobo on the street saying Priests are dicks then I think we can expect Stern to be ALL over it and ready to let us know immediately. Although saying that, I mostly find it amusing now, especially considering I read 'Stern's Hero of the Day..' and immediately thought it was going to be something anti-religious and bobs your uncle, the rest of the sentence confirmed it for me. I had a good ol' chuckle.

At very least, there is precious little entertainment on these forums these days, so the general controversy of Stern's posts keeps things interesting I think.

A German with a sense of humour isn't newsworthy?

Love it.

Lets be honest, most of us are ****s on here in one opinion or another :p

I missed this place. Stern, stop contributing interesting happenings. There are so many other posts that aren't getting enough atte....oh wait, there's about 3 in the last 6 years.

I like Stern. He's like that guy you always talk to downtown who always has something interesting or unusual to say, and you can't quite determine whether or not he's homeless.

Well it looks like there is someone else who is more of a douche than him and he just got 6 points for it.

I was, haha. :|

this thread isn't worth nerdraging that hard over... yet!

Like I said, I don't rip up Stern everywhere he goes.

veggie, the majority of your posts are bitching about something, and most of those posts are bitching about stern. quit lying to yourself :p

anyway i like this thread. it's funny to see the flying spagetti monster get headlines again.

i'd like to make a request to add "Bitching about the uselessness of a thread" to infractionable offenses. it is so ****ing annoying to read in every other thread. here's a plan: IGNORE THREADS YOU DON'T LIKE. if stern bothers you so much, block him. just stop bitching araghahgh

I was, haha.
indiff.gif

this thread isn't worth nerdraging that hard over... yet!

I guess it's the old chestnut of sarcasm not translating well on the internet. :p

Oh and in all honesty, I was taking more of a jibe at the BBC than Stern's thread in the first place. I mean, I don't see some dude putting a strainer on his head as a newsworthy event and well, they do run on British TV License and Tax payers money. (INCLUDING ME)

i'd like to make a request to add "Bitching about the uselessness of a thread" to infractionable offenses. it is so ****ing annoying to read in every other thread. here's a plan: IGNORE THREADS YOU DON'T LIKE. if stern bothers you so much, block him. just stop bitching araghahgh

Yes, but how are people to know you dislike a thread when you can't make a comment about it? You can't just punish someone for voicing their opinion, can you? And besides, bitching is up to subjective evaluation.

However, if you're simply throwing around the chestnut of sarcasm at the hungry squirrel, then never mind.

Back