Stormy's 3d max class!

Stormy

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Well jsut started my second year at uni and we have started to learn 3d max, to be honest its started off from the basics, but its all good, been helping a few people and doing a few models. Today had to model a cup and in the process of doing a boat. Using editable mesh atm which is some what a pain because im so used to editable poll. Ill post up a cople of renders at the end of me lesson, so people can see what i have been doing :)

great to hear. We are at the same thing, i just started this year at 3D Animation and have modeled many things and done animations. Right now im the best kid in the class and help other kids in other classes...even though im still a noob at it im pretty good for the time ive spent with it (4 weeks)

Here be me boat and cup :)

Yea i know i know! been playing BF2 a little to much :)

Attachments

• Cup.jpg
    Cup.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 344
  • Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 362
I have always been using 3d max this is kind of why i know everything thats going on in the course, i dont mind to much because im having a good time and just really looking foward to learning the animation and rigging and all that kind of stuff.

Na not at teeside, i think i know the course because i saw it when i was looking about for game design courses. I'm at the Solent university, known as southampton insitute last year, computer and video games (BA) is the course title i think.

hehe, yeh thats the one, Java programming for the first year and stuff, hope you excel at it, Max is definately the most flexible and user interface friendly, enjoy character rigging its fun, rigging joints correctly is the hardest.

Have they got the full version of Vray, does the course actually cover everything with Max, or does it cover Maya aswell?

oh right ill look that one up im hoping to get into the course you mentioned at teeside

Rah, well time for an update i think!

Been a good week for max, we dived strate into animation, done a bouncing ball first and also started looking at some herisy and walk cycles. Will try and uploads a cople of the animations in abit.

not a great walk but your getting there. i found the second one really funny. you expect the crane thing to pick it up but it rjects it lol. maybe its just coz im pissed. btw u have a small jumpy bit in the second animation

Yea i know there are errors and stuff in the animation. But i think im starting to get the hang of how it all works, im just gunna keep trying and trying untill i can get it right.

cool. i havnt been at it for long and i still cant make a perfect walk compared to valves. when your working on an animation i recomend you open up the model viewer and look at valves animes in slow motion.

hope you enjoy learning at the uni, you're really lucky to have this opportunity :)

Started to learn unwrapping, already knew how to do it so i rushed of and compleated our task of making a car, unwraping, and texturing. Even though we where ment to do the texture on the tusday. So i had a fun tusday lesson making a second car, unwraping and texturing. Models arnt particulay good but first time i have modeled a car and just making it up out of your head clearly isnt the best way of modeling :)

Attachments

• Sports Car.jpg
    Sports Car.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 247
cool stuff stormy, but if your tutor's are telling you to sync your walk like that, then they need to refer to tutorial's themselves :p... every 10 frames is perfect for half a step cycle, if you key each half step movement to 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 (frame 50 being the same start position of 0) it should loop the animation perfectly with a little adjusting. There then shouldnt be any reason for the sudden jump into the step :D

Hehe, these look like the cars from Road to Fame (ists a racing game).

i do it with 30 frames but it does turn out worse than valves ones.

Rah, forgot about my thread hehe...

Well been doing alot of level design now, all in 3d max which is abit gay. Max isnt the best of programs to use for level design.
First we done group level design, my group wasnt to bad, had to make a science lab. But some members where some what retarded, making 25mb textures an 21k polly models :/

http://img209.imageshack.us/my.php?image=all7bp.jpg

^^ this image is from my individual level, its going to be a posesed house. Gunna have some freaky kid upstairs floating about and stuff like that. The frount room with the TV is nearing compleation, just needs a window chucked in there but the kitchen needs abit of work yet. Just more bits and bobs really. But we do have some major time constraints, why im missing out the oven and just having hobs.

-Stormy

Yea they are abit low polly but if i go over the top with the polly count the level just wont work and then ill lose marks for it not working correctly. The engin dosnt seem to like alot of pollys so i thoght it would be better to keep them low rather then run the risk of having to remake 1/2 the stuff to make the level work.

Its called Caldren, my lecturer made it :) Its pritty cool but could be better.

UNI as in the University of Northern Iowa or a different UNI? It would be cool to know that there are other modelers getting their education at a normal university as opposed to the Art Institute. I'm at Iowa State University trying to go to computer animation, but I have to do some lame art classes before I can even touch a computer. I guess it's a good thing, but I wish I could take them together.

~Archvilell

Na its hasnt been released on the internet. I think it was specily designed for our course.

I'm at Solent University in Southampton UK. Most of the course are some what art or media based which makes it a good uni if your intrested in that kind of thing.

Also just finshed my individual level design. The .rar of it all is about 25mb so if i can host it some where people are welcome to have a go on it, im happy with it over all but it could do with abit more work.

In other course related news our head lecturer has arranged for some members of a game development team to come down and give us a session on the games industry, how it works and the best way for us to get job. Our other lecture, Adam, is waiting for us to hand in CD's of portfolio work so he can send out letters to all the uk based companies to try and find us some work experience placements. Last year a group of 7 students where about to get a few weeks experience with Lionhead studios, the makers of black and white, fable, the movies. So im hoping for somthing along the same lines.

If i was you i would still try and apply, i think it is quite popular but all the students are accepted apon viewing of a portfolio. Give it a go you have nothing to lose. Try sending some emails to nick the course leader, im not sure if his email is on there but if its not ill try and get it to you. Let me know.

Hey Crackhead, i go to Teeside Uni and am doing a similar course to the one you are heading for, its called Creative Digital Media and it's a kinda mish mash of everything to do with gaming, including (2nd year) level design, modelling, animation, and games design and production. Good luck getting onto it, shouldn't be too hard (I got D's E's and U's at A-Level), it's a good uni for computing too, and we have some nice nightclubs up here, so you should enjoy it :)

heh well thats given me much more hope. thing is ive found a simlar course about 2 hours away from where i currently live and where many of my childhood friends live so im most likely going to go for portsmouth. i live in surrey near woking and midlesbourgh is a logn way away. i will be applying for this course though.

Cool, my only concern is is what sort of stuff should be in the portfolio, do you have to have a lot of animating/modelling experience or just art and design stuff in general?

I did A level ICT, Product Design and Geography, dropped Media Studies after AS. I did fairly well getting an A, B and a C in them but theres nothing i could really put in a portfolio. Product design i did a lot of okish CAD 3D stuff with Pro Desktop that probably isnt something i could put in.

I'm fairly experienced in mapping but until recently ive only been working with hl1 and only just started modelling, so ive not a lot to show. I also can't render because im using the Free version of XSI because modelling packages are bloody expensive. I can easily whip up some nice maps for screenshot purposes but the practical side of the course seems pretty model based.

I tend to pick up stuff really quickly but without anything solid to show im stuffed. Maybe ill build up a portfolio and apply next year :(

Crackhead - First off i really wouldnt worry about distance and childhood friends when your thinking about uni. 50% of the whole uni thing is meeting new people and making new friends, not saying to get rid of the old ones of course but uni is just amazing for the social life. Move in to the uni halls, i think it was possibly one of the best years in my life dicking around and just generaly having a laugh. Its no as if you are stuck there for ever, you can go home when ever you want!

Course wise the computer and video games course at solent university is probly the best in the country. Its run by people who have been in the games industry and know how the industry works. The course was writen with Rebellion so everything that we learn is directly linked to the games industry. I have learnt so much about how games work from this course, not only art wise but game design and thinking of new game ideas, the real bases of animation and so much on game narative and how games tell the player whats going on.

Alot of these "video game" corses are terrable. They are 2 year foundation courses which just isnt enough to get you to a standed to join the industry. The lectures have not been in the industry and dont understand how it works. If you really want to do a games design course apply for solent! You wont be disipointed.

watch - The main thing they will want to see in a portfolio would be drawing, and then on the side other work you have done such as stuff in photoshop, maybe some of your other CAD work to show you are compitent with computers. Drawing wise they will probly want to see a selection of people/figgers and a selection of location drawing maybe even a few objects/still life drawing. Im not 100% sure but like i say the best thing to do is to get in contact with the course leaders and ask, you have nothing to lose. If your good enough they will take you on. Im sure they must do some late portfolio viewings for people that missed the ucas deadlines.

yeah i am going to move into the halls and stuff. its just portsmouth uni looks excellent. i have a friend who goes there. and also im lazy. anyway watch yeah i do alot of moddeling and stuff so building a portfolio should be easier than getting good grades. my only concern about it is, probally everybody gets it. i just get all these questions like is this what i should do with my life etc.

well my a-levels where terrible, got um C - Geog E - Art and E - Computing but manged to get an unconditional offer from a portfolio viewing. You may as well apply ne ways, i mean you get to apply for 6 uni's/coures. Just in case portsmoth falls through.

Yeah, Im in the same class as stormy at Solent Uni, and I can honestly say the
course is one of the best things Ive ever done.
I remember that i had my interview late, because mine was based off my folio rather then grades ( i did an art foundation), and that then even at the interview people didnt have any work and were being told to go away and do some.
Like stormy says the best thing to do is to contact Nick, and see what he says, all whilst doing lots of Fine art, as well as (if not more than) digital works.

The Teesside school of computing is actually regarded as the best in the country for video games and other related courses stormy :) Also run by developers and people from the industry...but i'm sure Solent is good too, guess it just depends on how far away you wanna live

Back