Striders and Coastline get the 1024 treatment.

That's good to hear. Thanks for the heads-up! Downloading now...

Update: I've downloaded bittorrent, but the Bink Video files appear to be empty zip folders to me. Does anyone know what might be up?

Update 2: Nevermind. Chalk this up to inexperience with the software. :/

What's up with BitTorrent? I've never been able to download anything above 5Kbps. The firewall maybe? Anyone know what ports I need to forward if so?

AJM2K3 said:
What's up with BitTorrent? I've never been able to download anything above 5Kbps. The firewall maybe? Anyone know what ports I need to forward if so?

6881 - 6889. If it cant access 6881, it goes to 6882, 6883, and so forth.

Mechagodzilla said:
That's good to hear. Thanks for the heads-up! Downloading now...

Update: I've downloaded bittorrent, but the Bink Video files appear to be empty zip folders to me. Does anyone know what might be up?

Try adding exe as the extension, mines downloading like that, if not download Rad Tools.

Lobster said:
Try adding exe as the extension, mines downloading like that, if not download Rad Tools.

Thanks for the response, but I think I've got it working now.

I was very impressed with the low-res ones, so this should be great.

AJM2K3 said:

It may be your upload causing the probem, the faster you share the file the faster you download it, if you have it set to high upload and its not uploading, your firewall may not be allowing the program to act as a server. (or somthing like that hehe)

102kb/s dl (becuase im capped at like 160 :()

thanks for the heads up, time to get hyped again.

Lobster said:
It may be your upload causing the probem, the faster you share the file the faster you download it, if you have it set to high upload and its not uploading, your firewall may not be allowing the program to act as a server. (or somthing like that hehe)

How can I set it to high upload? I'm getting a mere 30kbs currently.

yeah, thx for the heads up. downloading coastline 175kb and striders 145kb :D

Direwolf said:
Hmmm..I'm getting like 12kbs. :/

You could try using shadows experimental bittorrent client (google it) and then you can cap your upload at like 13 so you can get the dl faster and then seed on full

just be prepared to be yelled at.

Mechagodzilla said:
How can I set it to high upload? I'm getting a mere 30kbs currently.

Depends what bit torrent client your using, and your connection of course, I use 'Azureus' myself, seems to crash less, there should be a drop down box or somthing somwhere to set ur connection speed, or whatever.

Omfg this is a slow download.

I have a 512 connection and am getting a 5 - 10 kb/s download. Thats pittifull!!!

Death.Trap said:
What's BitTorrent? I'm downloading it now...but what does it do?

Everyone downloads the same thing at once, and upload and download off of each other, its the fastest way to get a file out. (im sure somone has a better explaination) :D

I'm running a cable connection, trying it with both firewall on and off.
Using the standard Bittorrent client and now getting 5kbs.

the thing about bt is that you let it kinda sit there for about 15 mins before you get acceptable dl speeds just let it's do it's thing i've gotten 250+ speeds off of files on bt before

just watched them both like 3 times each :)
so much better than the crap quality ones.
(could definately use some AA but ill take it)

now all we need is the x800xt and the game :D

Well amazingly enough, I'm dling it at 1.8 - 2.1+ mb/s. Thats the fastest bittorrent dl I've ever had. :D

I am using Azuerus and I am getting a full broadband speed of 56.7 Kbyte/s

torrents like that they always so slow, they become fast when number of seeders start rising and also the Sheer level have to be no less than 1:0.5.

So please share your file to make the download go faster. thx :D

RhapSidious said:
Well amazingly enough, I'm dling it at 1.8 - 2.1+ mb/s. Thats the fastest bittorrent dl I've ever had. :D

Well so much for that. I dl'd the Strider vid at that rate, now I'm at 5 - 7 kb/s with the coastline vid. Oh well, the universe is back to normal.

Death.Trap said:
What's BitTorrent? I'm downloading it now...but what does it do?

It's a file distribution program, but one that dynamically draws from the upload capacity of all those people who have or are downloading the file, therefore maximizing the download speed for everyone.

I wish they rerecorded it on the new build, this one still has the mp5 placeholders model in em which indicates thats its recorded on an old build of Half-Life². I want to see it on x800 quality :)

Bitorrent is designed so that, at least in theory, the more you share, the more other clients are willing to share with you. So trying to cap your upload speeds is basically counter-productive. One possible reason why the downloads are so slow is, in fact, that too many people may be leechers with hacked clients, not realizing that limiting their upload speeds hurts them and eveyrone else.

The client fairly slowly adds other people to the network as well, so it does take awhile for d/l speeds to ramp up.

However, given all that, I'm not sure why this download is going so slowly, but they may not have things set up correctly.

I'm only at 10k per sec, blah.

EVIL said:
I wish they rerecorded it on the new build, this one still has the mp5 placeholders model in em which indicates thats its recorded on an old build of Half-Life². I want to see it on x800 quality :)

Dont worry dude, only 4-5 days to E3 2004.

p.s - I had 50 k constant, thats pretty standard for me on 512, it could be any number of things.

And remember guys, If you suffer from laggy bink playback, download RAD tools, select your movie and click advanced options, then change the Bitting style to 'Direct Draw UYVY Overlay' and maybe set it to 'only True-color' to, makes it run smoother.

Yeah Bit-Torrent is a new faster way of downloading (in theory). The more there are of you wanting something, the quicker it downloads! I was on Steam earlier (which now uses Bit-Torrent I believe) and was getting a steady stream of 500kbps (with a 512 conn) which I was amazed at until I realised why! My first experience of Bit-Torrent - very impressed.

My 100th post. Partay!

RoguePsi said:
Yeah Bit-Torrent is a new faster way of downloading (in theory). The more there are of you wanting something, the quicker it downloads! I was on Steam earlier (which now uses Bit-Torrent I believe) and was getting a steady stream of 500kbps (with a 512 conn) which I was amazed at until I realised why! My first experience of Bit-Torrent - very impressed.

My 100th post. Partay!

Steam isnt using bit-torrent, the streaming system is similar but no one uploads to anyone else in the process, Valve did recently bring onboard the creator of bit torrent, and he probbally will be involved in improving the system over time.

awesome, i love bittorrent, d/l at 150 kilobytes per second

anyone?

Any chance someone could mirror the videos, or upload directly to me? I'm at school and I have an upload limit, making bit torrent useless for me.

yay :) And I just got a new computer desk too.. double yay!

Damn, this bittorent piece of sh1t is slow! I'd rather just download them the regular way. I'm getting a quick 0kb/s cool!

Back