Suggestion for Half-Life-2.

mayro

Reaction score
Hey valve, i love the steam idea although like a few people i also enjoy a tangable copy of the game. What options are currently planned for people buying the game over steam?

Ive seen the packages and see that you will be shipping some cool items to the people who but those package, does that include the game in that shipment?

Im sure you might have thought about this but im going to bring it up anyway to see what you all think about it.

What if steam like raphsody and all those other dump MP3 networks allowed you to download a burnable copy of half-life-2 and all that? They already have the game able to sit on one dvd. Why not for the people who but it over steam allow them to be sent a program or what ever and the image file with their CDkeyBURNT into their copy of the game. It doesnt necasaraly need that but im sure it would make them feal safer about allowing people to burn the game.

Take my Idea and form it into something that makes sense:

Hl2Downloaded and paid for -----> DVD

Its possible and would make me want to buy it off steam instead of the store.

Um....

Why don't you try e-mailing them?

I'm just wondering, how have you been here for a year and not know this isn't a Valve forum? :p

Um, you CAN burn it.
This has been addressed a ton of times and is even in the info@valve thread.

You can burn the gcf files and just put em back into your steam folder.

Well mayro we here at valve HQ are happy to hear you like steam. In fact we will stop at nothing to satisfy our customers which is why I am going to personally deliver your copy to you atop a royal purple pillow with gold trim and frills. This is to ensure that you, the customer, remain loyal and keep coming back to our official message boards. Thanks again!

Sincerely,
Dug Lambordi

I know that this isnt VALVE hq. Valve does read these message boards though.

I also know you can burn the GCF but to UNLOCK a GCF you need STEAM.

What if i wanted to use the halflife2 on a pc that doesnt use the internet? Im talking like a DVD that you can burn that is just like the one thats going to be sitting on the shelf. Installer and all.

Well now I went and sent an email to Newell and asked. Hopefully he´ll have the time to reply.

People have aready asked and he said you could burn it because the game files are different than the authentication files.

Being that vivendi is creating the retail boxes and the whole purpose of Steam is to bypass retail distribution and physical boxes, I think it's pretty much guaranteed that there will be no game cds/dvds delivered with the other Steam goodies.

All of the benefits of Steam distribution would be out the window if they were basically just using Steam as a front end to then ship you the game. They would be just like Amazon or any other online retailer then.

Huhm... yeah I guess you´re right. The question does sound a bit silly now that I think about it. Just hoping I guess...

Back