Superstring Theory in Half-life 2 *Possible spoiler*

Ya im positive that you will go back to Black Messa. Maybe you will even go back in time to stop the accident from occuring (ala Direwolf's theory) which would be very cool, going through the opening tram ride scene again in the source engine but I get the feeling that that would be part of HL3's story, not HL2's.

While reading A Brief History of Time, Hawkings lost me ont he whole string theory thing. I starting grasping what he was saying when he started talkinga bout the whole more than 4 dimensions thing again.

I on the other hand didnt really grasp all those technical terms that Kleiner says, but somehow they sounded oddly familiar. Now you physics / math nerds cleared it up for me, yay!

But yeah, all the crap Kleiner says about string theory would probably lead us to believe that there is going to be something about time travel or the bending of space (ala the striders).

Originally posted by PrimalGod
what this means is Dr.Kliner is getting ready to bend/distort space-time. Gordon with be teleporting through a wormhole, going to a parallel universe, and/or time traveling. Most likely, thats what the equations in the E3 video have to do with, they were pretty blurry so I couldnt get a good look at em.

I was waiting for someone to interpret what he was talking about.
Thank you.

8.gif

Anytime jason :) What I'm wondering is if it will be teleportation or time travel. You could just as easily say "teleport through time" as "teleport to the mall" or whatever. They also had teleporters in the first half-life, but I don't think that they were controlled by an device in Black Mesa and were just random tears in space-time (correct me if I'm wrong). Thinking about it, i doubt we will see a parallel universe as that doesn't seem like it would be effective in "striking back at the combine". That leaves only teleportation to a place and/or (don't forget there could be both) back/forward in time. Any thoughts?

yea i had one until i read this whole thread and now my brain is numb so i forgot what i was gunna say.

I wonder why it says "halflife2.org" at the top of that concept art when they took it from PC Gamer... HMMMMMM

Heres a funny idea :) Think of theoretical physics as the same thing as our crazy guessing as to what is in Half-Life2. We have vague and far off hints and we construct a picture of the whole game off of that. Physicists have small bits of random and inprovable data with which they create a picture of the universe. Im willing to bet both can't even begin to imagine the real picture. Geniuses are the ones that can come up with the least disprovable and most creative ideas.

seems like a very logical thought, having lots of interest in theoretical physics myself.
out of interest though, what does Gordon plan to achieve by going back (or forward) through time? or maybe we'll be going back to black mesa? in which case w00t!

Its been pretty obvious since the first Half Life that travel through dimensions/space time, what have you is a big part of the story. And going back to black mesa would be freaking awesome.

This is all making alot of sense. (i do remember reading somewhere that gabe in fact did state that we will be returning to black mesa (G-man nuked black mesa... but black mesa had like huge underground bunkers some areas maybe survived)... correct me if i'm wrong) As for the goin back in time and stopping the accident from happening... i don't know if that would help any... if some of u remember in opposing forces we ventured into an area of black mesa where they had the huge xen zoo type area. Anyway i belive that Gordons accidents was just coincidence *i cant spell* with something that was inevitable. Nanalith *forgot how u speel it* would have started this no matter what. The string theory makes alot of sense though.

so what do u people think will there be a trip back to black mesa?

Originally posted by HL2 Stone
so what do u people think will there be a trip back to black mesa?

I think it's possible, but remember there is still HL3 so it probably can't be in this game.

This is just my theory and should not be taken 100% seriously but maybe u are to be teleported to black mesa inorder to retrive something important *u can't get there anyother way because of the nukeing*. When u get there u find that it has been totaly infested by xen or totally empty (eptyness would be boring). (u probably get teleported into some area that wasn't completely destroyed... like the test chamber)

Originally posted by PrimalGod
...... That leaves only teleportation to a place and/or (don't forget there could be both) back/forward in time. Any thoughts?

Also if there creating a tear in space-time then the leader, or whoever really started the combine could be pushed out of spacetime, thus that individual never exsisted and combine never created. This could also be used on g-man to stop the black mesa incident from ever happening.

Only problem with this is there could be ADVERSE effects examples (stupid but they show the point)

A) Before the combine appears tensions are growing and it looks to be like a ww3 is about to start, then the combine comes/xen aliens a threat to the world, forcing old enemys to work together to combat the threat, stopping ww3.

B) Get rid of the combine, what happens? Boom, ww3 fresh for the world.

Trekkies out there should know theres an episode relating to this in voyager.
Y'all with me? Good

anyways we put it thats too cool going back to mesa shit was falling apart last time we where there can u pic what it will be like aged massivly ruined thats got to be cool to see i really hope thats in the game.

if not I can guarantee somewhere down the line there will be a mod to visit black mesa again in some fashion

so stone what your saying is that u agree with my point of view?

A) Before the combine appears tensions are growing and it looks to be like a ww3 is about to start, then the combine comes/xen aliens a threat to the world, forcing old enemys to work together to combat the threat, stopping ww3.

This is also the premise for Comand and Conquer: Red Alert. Einstein goes back in time and kills hitler thus causeing a big war between Stalin and the Allies to occur. Ahh good old game storylines.

Originally posted by Tropico
wow a suicide ending would be a 1st in pc gaming i think.
but imagine the press
"Valve forces 3 teenagers to suicide in final trilogy game half-life "

lmao, this happened in IRC about a week ago.

[23:49:17] <RRA-[[LuCkY]]> !setinfo
[23:49:18] -ChanServ- Your info line is: <SubcsAFK> i bet if the hl2 cd said every shuld kill themselves we would all die <Agg|Hades> :D <jubjubby> I know i would <MrReak> at least after you do it, you will be a ghost and can check out Valve office <SubcsAFK> yah <SubcsAFK> ownage <Secret-Agent> and haunt it.

Sad huh?

Well he was teleporting a lot in the first game... Maybe they are trying to re-create that outside of black mesa?

By the way, does anyone know about the original accident in HL1. I remember several of the scientists calling it a "resenence cascade". I'm sure it's spelled wrong, but it wasn't written anywhere in the game for me to copy.

So what actually is a "resenence cascade"?

especialy when space itself does not exist as a fabrication of physical content

I thought i once read about space being a big huge mass of dark matter, so space itself does actually have physical content. content that simply hasn't been known to exist yet. galaxies are then somewhat "free spaces" inside this huge mass of dark matter. And maybe black holes were spots where dark matter was even more concentrated on a single point, thus having a larger gravitation sucking up all light. The artikel was in a national Geographic issue some months ago.

As to the superstring Theorie, no idea on that. But it has awoken my interest. badly.

Well whatever, Black mesa return seems like an idea for HL3. It's just to cool to be in hl2. since information we got tends to show that HL2will be earth only.

I can imagine the ending of HL2.
G-man lets you choose again. enter the teleportation gate (or whatever it'll be) back to black mesa, or he'll do something you don't want to happen.
it would be a typical Hl ending.

Originally posted by Evgeny
seems like a very logical thought, having lots of interest in theoretical physics myself.
out of interest though, what does Gordon plan to achieve by going back (or forward) through time? or maybe we'll be going back to black mesa? in which case w00t!

I am certain we will be going back to Black mesa.
Remember how Valve was saying you could convert old H1 maps to HL2 and that they had done it? I don't think they were able to resist going back to some familiar areas from Black Mesa.
I'll put $20 on that we will see the test chamber again.

Actually what someone said about the strider weapon could be true as if you see the movies when the strider fires on the top of the bridge it sorta bends matter/time and it explodes now if you gimme that weapon to shoot about in HL2 i will be one happy camper.

Hyperspace is a good book :T It's more dumbed down so the average person can understand... but uh... judging from what that Adam person said, I don't think he got it.

Another theory is the M-Theory, but super string is still more popular :p

Well, this adds some juice to the theory that City17 is in another dimension that just looks a lot like ours (I think PCGamer was first with this one.) Which is kind of plausible since that would give them bigger liberties in forming their own kind of world without trying to localize City17 to some specific spot in Europe.

Originally posted by Kuros
Well, this adds some juice to the theory that City17 is in another dimension that just looks a lot like ours (I think PCGamer was first with this one.) Which is kind of plausible since that would give them bigger liberties in forming their own kind of world without trying to localize City17 to some specific spot in Europe.

I'm not sure I understand your explanation...
First, Valve said the entire game will be based on earth. Second, they already said City 17 is just a generic European city, so they don't need to localize it anyway.
It's just too far fetched, all this 'other dimension' business, it's just unnecessary.

Well this is a bit off topic but light (photons) have no mass and it appears gravity (which supposedly uses gravitons, but they have never been proven to exist) only effects objects with mass.

String theory or super string theory would explain why blackholes appear to suck in light and why nobody has ever proven the existence of gravitons, plus it would also give a reason why gravity is weaker than other forces. Gravity deos not exist in our dimensions, but it's effect is still felt from other ones or one.

In places like blackholes the fabric of space could be bent/broken/torn allowing gravity to either have greater effect causeing it to effect objects with no mass or the tear in space could cause photons to accumilate a mass OR string theory might have nothing to do with black holes and the large collection of materials the black hole has on its surface are giveing off heavy magnetic radiation casue the light to be pulled towards it.

Anyway back to HL2, I don't think there will be time travel as you can't really rewind time without causeing huge paradoxes, you can only speed it up or slow it down and so far valve seem to have stuck to half provable theorys.

i really realy really would think it would be so goddamn cool to go back to black mesa i wonder what it would look like after all these years.... it would be cool if we had to power the place up or something like that.

Back