Swearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Arne

Why are they swearing in Half-life 2, I don't like this at all.

Now it turns out the zombies are swearing backwards.

I think it's cheap. They didn't swear in Half-life 1 did they (could be wrong here)?

Oh and by the way, people swear in real life too. Just don't ever go out any more and you'll be ok.

Arne said:
Now it turns out the zombies are swearing backwards.
they are not swaring
they say: "please, god ... help me"

you consider that swearing?

Okay. It's okay to blow someone's brains out, but you get upset over swearing? It's an 18+ game, f-u-c-king get used to it!

When placed under stress, people are bound to say lots of things they might not normally. It's realistic.

Well, in real life i can't shoot people with a shotgun when they swear, so i just tell them i don't like them swearing. :D

The zombies already have been punished by my Gravity Gun, but i can't seem to hit Alyx or her father. :D

jacen said:
they are not swaring
they say: "please, god ... help me"

you consider that swearing?
Of course he does :rolling:

I really find it a little strange that you are ok with pretending that you are killing people and at the same time think it's bad to swear. Cursewords are nothing but sounds you know... if you really find it that disturbing, you have a problem.

Arne said:
Well, in real life i can't shoot people with a shotgun when they swear, so i just tell them i don't like them swearing. :D

The zombies already have been punished by my Gravity Gun, but i can't seem to hit Alyx or her father. :D
You're saying that you want to kill people for swearing... yeah.. that's normal.

Oh Gosh, people are useing rude words? My word this will not be stood for.

Geez.. if your old enough to play hl2 then your old enough not to make a big deal out of swearing.

Where are these nutjobs coming from? You have a problem with swearing yet you have no problem with dealing out carnage towards hundreds of virtual beings!?

If anything we need more swearing in games.....and nudity.

Yellonet said:
Of course he does :rolling:

I really find it a little strange that you are ok with pretending that you are killing people and at the same time think it's bad to swear. Cursewords are nothing but sounds you know... if you really find it that disturbing, you have a problem.

I don't consider it killing because it's fake, but the sounds they speak are real aren't they?

I'm sorry but i'm a religous man.

Mr-Fusion said:
Where are these nutjobs coming from? You have a problem with swearing yet you have no problem with dealing out carnage towards hundreds of virtual beings!?

If anything we need more swearing in games.....and nudity.

Hear hear! Can't wait 'til Duke Nukem Forever get a date. :)

Yep, I'm looking forward to DNF.
And...I kind of get where the thread starter is coming from (you can kill people but they aren't real, but when they swear, you can hear it in real life, making it real...which is a little illogical), but I haven't hardly noticed swearing.
Either play it or don't play it.

Arne said:
I don't consider it killing because it's fake, but the sounds they speak are real aren't they?

god help me is not swaering, they are asking for god to help them. In that way of thinking praying would be pure blasphemy.

LOL! What does religion have to do with cussing? And can anyone please define what makes these words bad, or the context they're used in? They are used very appropriately for the situation they're in. When Alyx says "bullshit" she tells Judy (Dr. something, I can't remember) "stop it, I'm tired of your bullshit!" After discovering that she is in on it with Dr. Breen.

Yellonet said:
You're saying that you want to kill people for swearing... yeah.. that's normal.

Did you see the smiley after I finished the sentence?

It means it's a joke, I was trying to loosen the discussion.

Can't we have a discussion without flaming eachother?

Arne said:

sry mister religious fanatic, but the whole game does only contain one single foul word.

the moment u enter the citadel and barney says: "tell breen **** YOU"

other then that i dont remember anyone swearing the whole game. and since the zombies only cry out for help,

I CANT SEE YOUR POINT

The best line in HL2 (which happens to have swearing in it) was Barney's line:

And if you see Dr. Breen, tell him I said; F-U-C-K YOU!!

I got such a great feeling of satisfaction when I heard him say that. :)

jacen said:
sry mister religious fanatic, but the whole game does only contain one single foul word.

the moment u enter the citadel and barney says: "tell breen **** YOU"

other then that i dont remember anyone swearing the whole game. and since the zombies only cry out for help,

I CANT SEE YOUR POINT

For Example: When the father of Alyx is hanging with Dr. Breen and Alyx get's carried in he swears.

I think he says, "you bastard!" But if some meniacle old dude who is basically trying to screw everyone over kidnaps your daughter, you might be a wee-bit mad.

Then just think that the people who say them are fake...... What do expect them to say? "Oh golly gosh!" or "Crackjacks!"

You can't please everyone. There are a bunch of people out there that don't have internet connections and so can't play. It seems there are also some who are offended by words used in the game. Unfortunately, as a minority group you'll find change hard to acheive, because quite frankly the majority is more than happy for it to stay the way it is.

And yes, saying "Oh god, please help me from this horrible physical and mental torture" doesn't fall under "saying the lord's name in vain". Saying "Oh god, I broke a nail!" does...

The zombies are not being blasphemous because quite plain and simply they really do need help, and the only other living souls about seem to rather enjoy burning and electrocuting them as opposed to a quick shotgun blast to the head to put them out of their misery more quickly and less painfully.

Revenge said:
Then just think that the people who say them are fake...... What do expect them to say? "Oh golly gosh!" or "Crackjacks!"
Hilarious.. just hilarious

Revenge said:
And yes, saying "Oh god, please help me from this horrible physical and mental torture" doesn't fall under "saying the lord's name in vain". Saying "Oh god, I broke a nail!" does...

The zombies are not being blasphemous because quite plain and simply they really do need help, and the only other living souls about seem to rather enjoy burning and electrocuting them as opposed to a quick shotgun blast to the head to put them out of their misery more quickly and less painfully.

when did an animated character know who god is... feel pain and ask him for help with pain he does not even fell.....

Umm since Valve programmed God-awareness into the AI algorithyms?

JESUS ****ING CHRIST

;)

Revenge said:

when did an animated character know who god is... feel pain and ask him for help with pain he does not even fell..... so i think that is really using gods name in vain

Only swear word that I noticed, and thought was out of place too, was Breen saying sh!t.

Thatguy said:
when did an animated character know who god is... feel pain and ask him for help with pain he does not even fell.....

oh ffs go complain somewhere else. not everybody is religious and not everybody gives a **** if someone insults god or swears or whatever. If you don't like the game don't play it. quite simple. your complaining gets you nowhere. why don't you just go complain about the millions of films which contain blasphemy instead.

Your bothered about swearing? uh...why? if your to young to swear then your also to young to play HL2 so don't even complain.

Thatguy said:
when did an animated character know who god is... feel pain and ask him for help with pain he does not even fell..... so i think that is really using gods name in vain

What frances_farmer said. I certaintly don't give a rats ass about god and i certaintly don't care if someone says "oh god..." if that bothers you so much, don't play it or remove the sound file so they say nothing.

Hey im an american! Personally swear words are just other words..
Im athiest. He obviously dosn't watch South Park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back