"Swine Flu" appears, quickly spreads to US.

In the last H1N1 flu pandemic 25 million died in the first 25 weeks. 25 million AIDS patients died in the first 25 years.
Additionally a flu pandemic would probably increase AIDS mortality rates due to their compromised immune systems.

Past couple of days i've noticed a huge increase in the amount of pork in the reduced section of the supermarket where no one has been buying it, how dizzy are most people?

I've taken advantage of it and got loads of organic pork cheap to freeze.

I recall a similar scenario with chickens with the bird flu scares.

Past couple of days i've noticed a huge increase in the amount of pork in the reduced section of the supermarket where no one has been buying it, how dizzy are most people?

I've taken advantage of it and got loads of organic pork cheap to freeze.

I recall a similar scenario with chickens with the bird flu scares.

have you started to go into convulsions/frothing at the mouth yet?

can I has your computer after you die?

someone needs to make a video of a lot of low level people in WoW getting killed by the Swine Flu

no, for gods sakes we are not your safe haven every single time something goes apreshit in your part of the world. seriously if shit hits the fan, me and a bunch of other canadians are going to man our walls and shoot you ****ers trying to get in

Yeah, well I'll send 2 million your way anyways, just to spite you!

I just had the screaming shits, I'm feeling kinda scared here

If your shit was screaming then you probably pooped onto a live animal or person. Check your stool to see if you can find one. Be especially thorough, as you may find a child under there.

I called into work today, I'm feeling a lil better now, and there is a bathroom like 200 feet from where I work, but I'd rather be home when I have uncontrollable poop

200 feet is far too long for a diarrhea gauntlet run.

Hasn't spread here (yet).
It doesn't really bother me anyway, survived the 'foot and mouth' and 'bird flu' didn't I ;)

Yup, if you survive one threat then you're automatically immune from all subsequent ones.

Thousands of people die every year from normal flu.. how many have died from swine flu? a few dozen? Oh.. Media bullshit hype.

Spot the thicko.

Over 100 dead from around a 1000 confirmed cases? Even if the mortality rate isn't 10% (god help us if it is) it's still far higher than the average 0.1% of seasonal flu viruses.

Edit: I see it now stands at 150/2000 in Mexico. Still apparently a lot higher than the average.

2 confirmed cases in Scotland.

edit - ...and only enough flu vaccine for half the population of the UK. Titanic anyone?

Thousands of people die every year from normal flu.. how many have died from swine flu? a few dozen? Oh.. Media bullshit hype.

ya, you would know, Spiderpig AMIRITE??? I bet you can squeal like a pig. Weeeeeeee!

you have a pretty mouth

That's it, we're all gonna die.

would you rather be the 1st batch to die or the 2nd?? cuz I feel like I'm in the 1st batch and I'll be more recognized that the others like the 1st casualties of war

Spot the thicko.

Over 100 dead from around a 1000 confirmed cases? Even if the mortality rate isn't 10% (god help us if it is) it's still far higher than the average 0.1% of seasonal flu viruses.

Edit: I see it now stands at 150/2000 in Mexico. Still apparently a lot higher than the average.

The actual death toll from the virus itself in Mexico is inconclusive, the US believe it is actually a lot lower than what people are saying.

Yeah thanks I didn't acknowledge that in the post at all, right?

The point is not how many people have died from it, it's the mortality rate, which for this virus is far higher than normal influenza, which thousands may die from but millions get.

Yeah thanks I didn't acknowledge that in the post at all, right?

Well sooooorrrry, I dont know why you are being such a dick about the whole situation, you are making it sound as if we are ****ed when at the moment know one can predict what will happen, not even the experts. I mean you are talking as if you an expert on the subject, give me a break.

Dead in Mexico: 149/2021 - Mortality rate: 7.4%
Dead outside Mexico: 0/387 - Mortality rate: 0%

Something isn't right here...

Well sooooorrrry, I dont know why you are being such a dick about the whole situation, you are making it sound as if we are ****ed when at the moment know one can predict what will happen, not even the experts. I mean you are talking as if you an expert on the subject, give me a break.

Sorry, I was just annoyed you tried to correct me on something I had already acknowledged in that post and others, and at people brushing it off solely based on previous cries of wolf. :)
And I probably am more of an expert than most people here, I've taken several modules on viruses, immunology, DNA/RNA genomics, evolution etc. as part of my degree. :p
Dead in Mexico: 149/2021 - Mortality rate: 7.4%
Dead outside Mexico: 0/387 - Mortality rate: 0%

Something isn't right here...

Yeah it's not clear why yet. It could be a range of things. For example it originated first in Mexico, it might take longer for the cytokine storm to develop (if that's what causes the deaths), or it might be prevented by early enough treatment. There could also be higher risk of co-infections in Mexico and it's hospitals. Conversely people in more developed countries may have weaker, less challenged immune systems (thought to be the main factor for higher asthma rates) which would produce less dangerous cytokine storms. It could even be a slightly less dangerous strain which has escaped mexico so far, flu is a notoriously mutator. The mexican population might have a genetic vulnerability to this strain.

Also note that as it's a very recent outbreak the cases will probably still be in the 'lag' phase. If it keeps on spreading it will soon reach the 'log' phase where the numbers infected double at regular intervals.

When Hospitals fail to cope with the number of diagnosed patients, THAT'S when you should start to worry.

But you're talking millions of cases, by which they would probably introduce methods to avoid the above.

No, you should probably worry a while before that :p

Fact: I'm feeling better but don't get overconfident. I could be spreading it to my family as we speak

Back