system requirements

Do you think HL2 will run on my computer?:

Radeon 9500 Pro
XP 2600+
512 DDR

your 9500 pro is a dx9 card with good speed and your cpu isn't weak, so theoretically you should get some nice performance.

what about this? I plan on getting a new computer at some point but for now this is what I ahve to work with, cause I dont have any money atm.

p4 1.3 ghz
512 mb rd ram
ati radeon 9600

O yes, and hello to everyone, this is my first time posting.

@fluffhead, dunno, but hi anyway :)

i might as well put mine here then :E

how well and at how high settings do ya reckon then, guys

gf4 ti4200 64MB
256MB RAM
2.66 GHZ intel p4

welcome. your video card is fine. but your cpu will be dragging things down. its rare to see someone with a p4 1.3ghz. kinda neat. anyway, as we know hl2 will run on a 700mhz proc, just not very well, i wouldn't expect a good steady framerate throughout. but youll be able to run it. really depends on your level of acceptance of performance to say if its good or bad though.

P4 1.8GHz
2x 256DDram
Sapphire Radeon 9600Pro 128ddr

I hope this will run HL2 steady, but not counting on it.

Dalith said:
P4 1.8GHz
2x 256DDram
Sapphire Radeon 9600Pro 128ddr

I hope this will run HL2 steady, but not counting on it.

It will run HL2 steady.

People, HL2 is being designed to run well on low end systems. A low end system would be a 1.2 Ghz processor with a Geforce 2 with 128/256 Mb of Ram.

Even if you have less than a state of the art computer, HL2 will run well. You may not have all of the graphics options set to high, but it will run well.

I dunnno if mine will play HL2 anny well but you guys know alot about it so ill leave it in your hands guys:

Athlon XP 2.0 Ghz processer
256 Mb memory
GeForce 3 Ti 64Mb

PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME! WILL IT WORK!?!?!?!?!

blahblahblah said:
It will run HL2 steady.

People, HL2 is being designed to run well on low end systems. A low end system would be a 1.2 Ghz processor with a Geforce 2 with 128/256 Mb of Ram.

Even if you have less than a state of the art computer, HL2 will run well. You may not have all of the graphics options set to high, but it will run well.

yes but 'well' is subjective. to some 40fps steady isn't 'well'

My system specs are:

Pentium 4 - 2.68 ghz
512 megs ram
GeForce FX 5200

Will this run HL2 with all of the best options on?

poseyjmac said:
yes but 'well' is subjective. to some 40fps steady isn't 'well'

If you have anything else than cutting edge hardware and you expect games to have frame rates of 40+ your expectations are all wrong.

I don't know, maybe I am old school, but I always have used 30FPS as a benchmark for determining if a game is playable or not.

And like I said before, HL2 is being designed to run well on a wide range of systems. So don't worry.

A lot of these people are going to miss the beautiful graphics in HL2, due to many of their dated graphic cards..

..and trust me, sometimes bad graphics can just suck out all the atmosphere in a game. I played through FarCry with a Geforce MX440... My god, it looked like absolute CRAP.

Well, NO MORE!!

So I got myself a Sapphire Radeon 98000 PRO. (Such a huge difference. Such a very very huge difference playing the game now :D)

Lmao! That's why I have DirectX 9.0b and I use it in many other games like FarCry?

(actually the 5200 is the only card that supports 9)

WaterMelon34 said:
Lmao! That's why I have DirectX 9.0b and I use it in many other games like FarCry?

(actually the 5200 is the only card that supports 9)

its by no means a good card though.

blade 24/7 365 said:
I dunnno if mine will play HL2 anny well but you guys know alot about it so ill leave it in your hands guys:

Athlon XP 2.0 Ghz processer
256 Mb memory
GeForce 3 Ti 64Mb

PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME! WILL IT WORK!?!?!?!?!

Your need a new card and at least 512ddr ram to have HL2 run smooth.

blahblahblah said:
If you have anything else than cutting edge hardware and you expect games to have frame rates of 40+ your expectations are all wrong.

I don't know, maybe I am old school, but I always have used 30FPS as a benchmark for determining if a game is playable or not.

And like I said before, HL2 is being designed to run well on a wide range of systems. So don't worry.

whos worrying?

there is time before hl2 comes out. sell your body on the streets to raise money for upgrade.

Will it run smoothly enough on my GeForce FX 5200 or not? (IT WORKS FOR DIRECTX9)

Im getting anxious here :frown:

f**king good card this, good card that, f**king good card everywhere trying to f**king kill me.

well watermelon you can rest easy,it will run pretty good on that card (its the same as mine and it run excellent even with aa on).

I love you wayne white! You're the dog of my dreams! < Serious about the love part.

really depends on your level of acceptance of performance to say if its good or bad though.

Well, lets put it this way. I have seen some computers alot better than mine run games like ut 2004 and farcry extremely well, and on mine, they run like crap. So I will think its crap.

im hoping hl2 gives much better performance than farcry. even on my rig, farcry would give tremendous mouselag and unstable framerates even at 1024x768 at high detail.

My pc runs farcry and ut2004 very well on full settings so i see no need to upgrade for hl2, my mate downloaded the hl2 anon leak and my pc did not struggle with it at all but i don't know if the performance cna be measured by that.

poseyjmac what is your rig? i am curious because i have the same problem. I have a good machine and even at 1024 x 768 it runs with some slight slowdown. Whats your rig?

AMD 2400+ mobile ([email protected]) so its about as fast as an athlon 64 3200(more or less on various tests). and a radeon9700 pro.

low framerate i can kinda handle, but a lagged mouse input is something that drives me mad. im just so used to playing quake3, that these new games like farcry just aren't giving me what i want without going to ridiculously low settings.

now max payne 2, that game was pretty and i could run it at 80fps 1280x1024 highest detail, no problem.

When you guys said before i might get "lower" FPS with:

P4 @ 1.80 GHZ
Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB
768 MB RAM

did you mean at max settings?will it help to get a better card?(cause i havent bought it yet.)

a p4 1.8ghz with radeon 9800 128 isn't bad! but be that as it may, like i said before your card and cpu are mismatched, your cpu would be hindering the potential for your video card, so what situations you will see is the same framerate on practically every resolution give or take a few.

so in short, your computer is fine and above spec for hl2, but in the future you could get some dramatic increase in FPS if you upgraded your cpu to take advantage of a card like the radeon 9800 pro. if lots of FPS isn't your concern, then don't bother. however know that a good CPU and motherboard is cheaper than getting a new good video card.

im not gonna overclock(sounds too confusing.) what are some of the prices for a good cpu and motherboard?! and whatever a motherboard is do i need it to run a new cpu?

EDIT: I definetly want a new cpu now cause i just went on cs now and found out my fps and it was 60! I went over to my friends house and he had like 100 fps and it was so much better. So i want HL2 to be the same and the best experience.

a motherboard is required for a cpu. your motherboard is the central hub of your hardware.

i can only recommend you good prices if you live in the 48 states.

edit: that stuck at 60 fps problem sounds like you have vsync on with 60hz as your monitor refresh rate. try turning vsync off. or running refresh force.(http://www.pagehosting.co.uk/rf/) to possibly get a higher cap

i live in canada. oh well ill just go to a local electronic store and check it out. but now im having doubts in my mind.(i havent bought my graphics card yet or RAM.) right now i have 1.80 ghz, 256 mb ram, and nvidia geforce4MX. DEFINETLY upgrading the RAM to 768 MB and definetly getting a new video card. but if the prices go down i might get 9800 XT or X800. I dont know a lot about computers and never heard of a motherboard so can you tell me what kind of motherboard and CPU I'd need if i get a 9800 XT, or an X800?! assume im playing hl2 on max settings.

EDIT: for the cpu it can be athlon or pentium whatever you think is the best.

alright.

i recommend to go the AMD route first of all, great bang for the buck.

for the non-overclocker id still go with an Abit nf7(about $60-70)

+

a retail 2800+ 333 fsb cpu. if you have some more cash to spend, go with the retail 3200+ 400 fsb. dont get an OEM cpu otherwise you'll have to buy extra cooling. AMD's retail hs/fans are quite good. (OEM cpu is a cpu by itself, with a limited warranty, a retail cpu though, is a boxed processor with cooling and a 3 year warranty, usually a little more expensive, but worth the pricetag for the warranty)

im not really an AMD fanboy, i own an intel p4 2.53 and its nice. but you just can't beat the price for amd's performance nowadays.

if you have any doubts, go to www.amdmb.com, check out the forums. large community of some smart people with mostly AMD machines, and information on just about everything computer related.

I plan to pick up an ati x800 with my first quarterly bonus check from work. I should be getting the check when HL2 comes out (mid July).

okay so im guessing the abit nf7 is the motherboard? $70 is a good price for that. sorry for the questions but can you say what the 2800+333fbs cpu will be pentium(how many ghz?) and how many GHZ will the 3200+400fbs will be? im pretty sur e ican get them.

Darkknighttt said:
okay so im guessing the abit nf7 is the motherboard? $70 is a good price for that. sorry for the questions but can you say what the 2800+333fbs cpu will be pentium(how many ghz?) and how many GHZ will the 3200+400fbs will be? im pretty sur e ican get them.

AMD uses PR ratings so that you can compare speed to an intel cpu. a 2800+ amd cpu is generally as fast as a pentium 4 2.8ghz cpu, give or take some speed in various tests. a 2800+ cpu is actually at a clock speed 2.08 ghz, but AMD's cpus get more work done per cycle so it evens out. so a 3200+ is around a p4 3.2's performance

Abit NF7 is a motherboard yes. Abit is the company and NF7 is the model. i could give you lots of good motherboard options, but it would just confuse you, so the nf7 is good value, reliable, and a good amount of options.

You want a XP3200(2.2ghz)+ if you plan to get the new X800 or Nvidia cards, lower CPU's will bottleneck these cards.

poseyjmac is this the motherboard your talking about:
ABIT "NF7" nForce2 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU -RETAIL

Back