system requirements

Also where can i find the power supply, does it say anything in windows?

No.‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‏‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‌

poseyjmac said:
what game can this be tested on? the only thing ive noticed about more RAM is better load times and less initial framerate lag when you look around.(ala battlefield 1942) which lasts for a few seconds at most with 512 ram. but i dont see how a gig of ram can help you AFTER that, once everything loads its up so the cpu and vid card make calculations.

though if there is some benchmark that can prove me wrong, i would like that.
A lot of the newer games use over 512MB memory and they use a swap file if you don't have enough. You lag while ingame if you catch yourself waiting for the swap file to complete the new data you need to be transfered into memory.

The same reason you would upgrade from 256 to 512mb. Although the performance increase to 1gb isn't as large as going to 512mb.

nForce3 250 or VIA K8T800 boards are good for the A64 3000+.
Asus, Abit, MSI, and Chaintech are some brands that stand out.

hmmm,, 1024x768 will work. Besides thats daft.. 1600x1200 will fek up your eyes, and will destroy your framrate no end, even with the 9700

Warbie said:
I'd personally get a new gfx card - a 9800 pro is a good choice and great value for money (what power supply do you have?).

Then, if possible, start to save up for a new mobo, cpu and memory to get somewhere down the line. But right now a new gfx card is a must.
If I'm reading the right thing inside of my computer, then my power supply is 485W.
Anyway I'm trying to save up some more money for a new motherboard/processor and what not. We'll just see how much I can come up with.

clarky003 said:
.......... Besides thats daft.. 1600x1200 will fek up your eyes, and will destroy your framrate no end, even with the 9700

"1600x1200 will fek up your eyes" :eek: well I guess if I want to frek my eyes up I need a x800 :cheers:

i might get athlon 64 3200. Will any motherboard that says can be used with the athlon 64 series work with this? or do i have to get a specific one tat says compatible with 64 3200?!

i might get athlon 64 3200. Will any motherboard that says can be used with the athlon 64 series work with this? or do i have to get a specific one tat says compatible with 64 3200?!

Any motherboard for AMD athlon 64 series will do fine.

will this one be enough?! POWER SUPPLY=Enermax 450W Power Supply Dual Fan= $92

How do i find out if my case will work with this power supply?!

Darkknighttt said:
will this one be enough?! POWER SUPPLY=Enermax 450W Power Supply Dual Fan= $92

How do i find out if my case will work with this power supply?!

That'll be enough to run a 64 3200+, as for your case question..

Is your case an ATX case? Most (I'd say 90%) are, and you should be fine if your case isn't a mini-ATX/retail computer case

Warbie said:
I think an xp3200 is more on par with a 2.8 intel.

(my xp-m runs fine at 2.5 too shapeshifter ........ is stable at 1.6 but i'm not happy with a voltage above 1.85 :) Best 65 pounds I ever spent)
as long as you have good cooling it shouldn't be a problem above 1.8 (although I wouldn't go over 1.9 unless you have water cooling or a pelter etc)

Just built my friends computer

P4 3.2 GHz 800mb FBS
1 Gig DDR Kingston Duel Channel RAM
Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
MSI 875P NEO Fisher Motherboard
19 inch (viewable) viewsonic flatscreen CRT moniter
Logitech Z-2200 2.1 speakers
CoolerMaster WaveMaster (silver) case
(2) Western Digital 7200 RPM hard drives (160GB total) in Raid 0 array
425 ATX Deluxe PC Power and Cooling

Half Life 2, Doom 3, and STALKER here I come!

(entire computer costed $2,150. New Egg rocks!

PROCESSOR=Athlon 64 3200+= $398
MOTHERBOARD=ASUS K8V DELUXE VIA= $185
POWER SUPPLY=Enermax 450W Power Supply Dual Fan= $92
CASE= ???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MUST HAVE A CONENCTION FOR MOUSE,SPEAKERS,KEYBOARD ETC... AND HAS TO BE EQUIPPED TO SUE THE POWER SUPPLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RAM=Kingston 512MB PC3200 DDR400 =$149
VIDEO CARD= ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128MB DDR= $323

MY 3 QUESTIONS ARE.....

Question #1: Im very confused about CASES. can someone please go to www.compu-best.com (the place im going to be getting my computer at,) and tell me which case should work fine with my computer?!?!?!?!?!

Question #2: Will I be able to run HL2 on max details? and with what resolution and FPS?!?!?!?!?!

Question #3: Will everything runs moothly with each other? like does the video card and cpu match? and does the mother board and processor match? does the RAM and processor match? etc..... do they all co-operate with each other?!?!?!?!?!

1. some of those cases would NOT work with your setup. and since you can't click on details for any of the products, i would call that place or email them and ask which case would work with an athlon64 board(and i would also ask which one is the cheapest) or you could look up some of those name-brand cases on the web, but most of those are way expensive anyway. but its your call

2. unknown at this time. but most likely you will be more than happy with the performance. i mean, thats a very fast system. assuming that valve has coded the game well, you should get very good performance at high detail with that rig.

3. all of those components will work very nicely together.

okay, thanks much for your help. I'll ask someone when i go to the store and ask him what case would be equipped to work with the 450 Watt Power supply and athlon 64 motherboard.

wait a minute. im getting POWER SUPPLY=Enermax 450W Power Supply Dual Fan as a power supply. it says dual fan in the name. does that mean it comes with cooling( 2 fans)? or do i need to buy another fan for cooling?

Darkknighttt said:
wait a minute. im getting POWER SUPPLY=Enermax 450W Power Supply Dual Fan as a power supply. it says dual fan in the name. does that mean it comes with cooling( 2 fans)? or do i need to buy another fan for cooling?

Dual Fan means it comes with two fans inside the power supply. One sucks air from inside the computer to the power supply then one fan sucks air from the power supply to out of the case. Still you should get atleast 2 fans for your case, one for the front to bring air in and one in the back to suck air out.

I think Dedatorv's right on that.. Just one thing, you guys really are crazy in the quest for the perfect computer to run HL2 on, hehe.. would be fun to see someone pimp up their comp like mad and then HL2 won't run on it for some weird compability reason.. :p

i have a question. does the athlon 64 3200 come with hyper transport technology?! thats good for games, isnt it?!

Not sure about the HT, I think not.

I'd advise for you to get a new computer instead of trying to build one because building your own rig can have many complications if you don't know what you're doing. Like CrazyHarij said you might not be able to play HL2, not even to build the PC.

Darkknighttt said:
i have a question. does the athlon 64 3200 come with hyper transport technology?! thats good for games, isnt it?!

Yes, the Athlon 64 3200 comes with hyper transport technology. The Athlon 64 is much faster in games than respective Athlon XP's and Pentium 4's.

I'm posting this on behalf of a mate:

Will HL2 run smooth on my comp?

Geforce Ti 4200
512ddr
XP 2100

chitmunkey said:

Geforce Ti 4200
512ddr
XP 2100

not really. i mean itll run...but u wont have any eye candy etc.

Here is what I have:

MSI KM4M Mobo
AMD Athlon 1600 1.3ghz
ATI Radeon 7000 PRO 64mb
256mb PC2700 DDR
60gb HD
Windows XP PRO
300watt PSU

Here is what I will upgrade to:
AMD Athlon 2800+ "Barton"
ATI Radeon 9600XT
512mb PC2700 DDR

I am certain this will run HL2. My question is will it run good enough to give me say about 30 FPS or more with mid range settings?

AMD Athlon 2600+ XP
Krypton C-18G Pro 400 mobo (a rebadged Biostar board - i think the orig. was called M7CNX or something...)
512 Mb RAM
256 mb 9800Pro :)
80 gig HDD

I wonder if Gabe thinks I ought to upgrade...

Evil^Milk said:
Not sure about the HT, I think not.

I'd advise for you to get a new computer instead of trying to build one because building your own rig can have many complications if you don't know what you're doing. Like CrazyHarij said you might not be able to play HL2, not even to build the PC.

i dont have enough money to buy a new computer. doesnt the chips and stuff come with instructions to set it up on? like how hard can it be? you just hook up everything correctly and itll be good and if the computers messed theres obviously something wrong with the wiring right?!

chitmunkey said:

Geforce Ti 4200
512ddr
XP 2100

It will run sort of good, but not with all the fancy-pancy stuff.

Here is my rig:

Pentium 4 2,66 GHz
512 MB RAM
80 GB Harddrive
ATi Radeon 9200 128 MB

Im worried about my 9200 :(

anyone know how well it will run HL2 ?

lego ull be fine. but really try to save up for a better card then ull be blazing hl2

leg0 said:
Here is my rig:

Pentium 4 2,66 GHz
512 MB RAM
80 GB Harddrive
ATi Radeon 9200 128 MB

Im worried about my 9200 :(

anyone know how well it will run HL2 ?

Get a better vidcard.. I'm going to do it too, I'm thinking of saving up for a X800 pro and more RAM.

I've got 512 ram aswell, P4 2.68ghz and Geforce FX5600.. A guy i spoke with said that I should get the Pro and 512-1024 more RAM to avoid being bottlenecked.

the guy is an idiot. bottlenecking would be if u had 128 ram and an x800xt

Pentium 4 3.0 GHz/HT
512MB DDR/PC3200 RAM
256MB 9800 Pro
80GB 7200 rpm HDD
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

I believe i'm pretty much set.

Back