Taking down a strider

Pogrom

Reaction score
I was pondering the apparent invulnerability of the striders, trying to find a way to counter them.

After watching the 2004 E3 vids, I've got a theory.

We know that the manipulator can fire a concussion (push) blast, even with very heavy objects (the buggy).

Imagine a strider's leg being close to a wrecked car. You use the manipulator to push the car through the underneath of the strider. Thus taking out it's legs and causing it to topple over.

But maybe they have quick reflexes and good balance

Nobody knows how to take one down.....or if it can even be taken down to begin with.

it will be fun coming up with ways like that to take them out. but like the other large things in the original game im sure with enough firepower theyll go down.

Goombatommy said:
Nobody knows how to take one down.....or if it can even be taken down to begin with.

Well, obviously. Since the game isn't out yet and we've not seen it in the videos.

But I wonder would my theory work...

I'm pretty sure at one point in the video somone thoots the ankles anf the strider kind of buckles for a second, they dont want to give it away so he/she shoots at the body of the thing... I maybe wrong

there's been loads of posts on this though

or even better, cutting one of the legs with those razors...but i can't imagine that happen in a game... well see soon enought (here's hope for that)

Tarkus said:
or even better, cutting one of the legs with those razors...but i can't imagine that happen in a game... well see soon enought (here's hope for that)

Why wouldn't that happen in a game? The razors slice Zombies in half, so why not apply it to something larger like a Strider's leg?

Abom said:
Why wouldn't that happen in a game? The razors slice Zombies in half, so why not apply it to something larger like a Strider's leg?
Well the death animation won't be simulated in the phycics. So that could prove a problem.

FISKER_Q said:
Well the death animation won't be simulated in the phycics. So that could prove a problem.

Striders don't have an animation when they die, it's all ragdoll. You take the leg off, he's gonna topple over in real-time.

Abom said:
it just doesnt seem practical in a game... i dunno, just a feeling thats all, but i really would like to see a stryder fall (not die, since it is a machine).. the other dude was right, i think you all are expecting too much from hl2... only time will tell imo, i hope i'm wrong

I'm thinking toppling, the strider in the E3 vid took a hell of a battering so i thing tripping it up or immobilising it's legs somehow (like cutting them in half) may do the trick

Well if they're in multiplayer its gonna be easy...

Each grab a leg with the manipulator and PULL!

Maybe if you get to use a flying machine with a rope sometime in the game like Star Wars, Rope theres legs and trip them.:)

Tarkus said:
it just doesnt seem practical in a game... i dunno, just a feeling thats all, but i really would like to see a stryder fall (not die, since it is a machine).. the other dude was right, i think you all are expecting too much from hl2... only time will tell imo, i hope i'm wrong

"Practical in a game?" What's so hard to believe about a strider ragdolling, exactly? Or having a break point on its leg, much like the zombies have (as mentioned above)?

I guess the best thing to do is to just use raw firepower or do a Gordon , i.e creating some fire/gas thing spraying into a huge room where the strider is in. :D

Abom said:
Striders don't have an animation when they die, it's all ragdoll. You take the leg off, he's gonna topple over in real-time.

What i mean was the animation for the leg to come off. I think that it would ruin a lot if a big behemoth's leg can't even push a car, and actually just goes through it.

FISKER_Q said:
What i mean was the animation for the leg to come off. I think that it would ruin a lot if a big behemoth's leg can't even push a car, and actually just goes through it.

The leg would become a physical object with weight values, in the same way that the lower portion of the zombie does

I'm thinking of two possible ways to take out a strider.

1) Tanks normally have weakspots where they are more vulnerable to damage (ie, the rear). So I'm thinking the strider will have a weakspot at the top of it's head. This makes sense because not only is the chance of an airstrike against a strider very low considering they're fighting guerillas, but they are 50ft tall, so they rise above most buildings, making rooftop attacks against them not very likely. So I'm thinking a few rockets to the top of a strider will take it out, if you can figure out a way to get the rocket up there...

2) Maybe we will see a Star Wars insipred weapon to topple a strider using the game's physics. At some point in the game, maybe one of the scientists will develop a weapon specifically for use against striders. It would be like how the snow speeders took out the AT-AT walkers, where a magnet attached to a cable would attach itself to a leg of the walker. The speeder would then fly around the walker, tightening the cable, until the speeder would release the cable, causing the walker to fall. Instead of an aircraft flying around a strider, Gordon would shoot the magnet at close range to attach to the strider's leg. He would then run around the strider just like the snow speeder, eventually detaching the cable, which would cause the strider to collapse (unless it stands perfectly still).

Or we could always get some sort of Uber gun later in the game that could take out striders and other things, but I think Valve is more creative than that :D

I think it uses the old Gargantua System, by which billions and billions of tons of explosives could take it down, but there's a much more easy way.

i.e. in the parts we see at E3 04 presentation he has a chance to run away, and think that's exactly what he's supposed to do.

And I think later in the game you might adquire a some sort of Uber-Hiper-Mega weapon that basically is the only one to take out a Strider in a couple a' shots (but not restricted to that)

Was thinking it was pretty obvious how to take one out as its shown in the movie from last years E3.

sundance said:
Was thinking it was pretty obvious how to take one out as its shown in the movie from last years E3.

If by taking it out you mean letting it shoot you, then yes, it is easy.

Bicka said:
Well if they're in multiplayer its gonna be easy...

Each grab a leg with the manipulator and PULL!

Oh the possibilities of a manipulator multiplayer...

I (killed/taken down) 2 striders before i just noclipped into his head and shot 4 rockets into his head and the strider through me really far and it fell to the floor.

i would be cool if u can use the manipulator&razor combo to chop one of it's legs off and then pick up the leg with the manipulator and whack it on it's head!

ooohhhh...I hope they have ragdoll/physics for the strider :naughty:

Just think of the heavenly sight of a strider topling over...i almost have to cry ;(

By the way, did anyone else hear an annoyed scream-kind-of noise coming from the strider when Gordon shot the Strider with the RPG in the second Strider scene? Just before he got blasted, he shot at the strider and it turned around to face him and yelled at him with a strange low voice. It is heard many times when the striders are shot. What kind of machines are those, if they have "emotions"? Or was it just some "engine" noise?

Abom said:
Yeah, but what happens after that? That's one huge bastard of a corpse, so will it stay thereor will it explode like the garg or melt or run away like a frightened kitten? What?

Slime said:
By the way, did anyone else hear an annoyed scream-kind-of noise coming from the strider when Gordon shot the Strider with the RPG in the second Strider scene? Just before he got blasted, he shot at the strider and it turned around to face him and yelled at him with a strange low voice. It is heard many times when the striders are shot. What kind of machines are those, if they have "emotions"? Or was it just some "engine" noise?

are you talking about the screech after someone is hit with the beam?

I take it you mean the ears ringing? No, just before the second strider scene ends and the strider is hit with a RPG, it makes an insect-like sound. I can't find the right word to describe it! :rolling:

hmm

well...has anyone noticed the drone that circles around in mid air near the strider...it fires just a armor piercing machine gun..i saw it in the e3 2004 movie when it started fireing after the strider blew up the columns near gordon...
does it has to do anything with the strider or it's just a santinel like robot??

:dozey:

I think I know what he's talking about. Watch the gamespy video from 21:42 to 21:44. I just think it might be some mechanical sounds that it's making from the impact.

el Chi said:
Yeah, but what happens after that? That's one huge bastard of a corpse, so will it stay thereor will it explode like the garg or melt or run away like a frightened kitten? What?

All of its Strider relatives take it and give it a proper burial? I dunno.

Scarba said:
well...has anyone noticed the drone that circles around in mid air near the strider...it fires just a armor piercing machine gun..i saw it in the e3 2004 movie when it started fireing after the strider blew up the columns near gordon...
does it has to do anything with the strider or it's just a santinel like robot??

:dozey:

if you're talking about what I think you're talking about...then that's a chinabox(or some other garbage...similar to the stuff that gets blown around on the ground on the train station) that gets blown into the air for some reason...

or maybe your thinking of the crouching strider...

First fire a magnetic harpoon tethered with a high-tensile strength cable at one of it's legs and then fly in concentric circles around the strider until the cable has wrapped itself several times over. The strider should lose balance and come crashing down, thus ensuring the safety of the shield generators long enough for the rebel transports to escape.

el Chi said:

Well one thing is for sure, better get the hell outta that spot if your near him, otherwise your gonna have to fight him again..
and then your gonna probably have a giant corpse to lag your screen. they disappear though and you can choose to have corpse on or off i think.

Brian Damage said:
Make deep, cutting and personal remarks about its gangly appearance.

ya!
i think that otta' make the Strider feel bad and attempt suicide :LOL:

Back