Taking down a strider

Tarkus said:
it just doesnt seem practical in a game... i dunno, just a feeling thats all, but i really would like to see a stryder fall (not die, since it is a machine).. the other dude was right, i think you all are expecting too much from hl2... only time will tell imo, i hope i'm wrong

Thats what the guys at valve were talking about, how more expirenced players were having a harder time. It's difficult to "unlearn" what you can and can't do in a game.

Tarkus, "Free Your Mind"

just spill some big marbles on the floor and he will topple down

Lots of glue to keep it still, then crowbar it to death!

First Strider I find I am gonna try to kill it...

... Then when I run out of ammo I am gonna run away... really..really.. fast...

i bet its just big objects and big guns, much like big vehicles in other games and gasp *HL*... like the helicopter

No I am not sticking my face close to those shishkabob sticks... figge... You can do that if you want though. *Goes off to sit and watch for figge to attack a strider with a crowbar.*

1. – All of the striders present thus far in the videos have had their HP set up to an extreme degree; So that when you attempt to combat one in the real game and overcome it will seem like all that much more of an accomplishment...

2. - release the snarks...

Z|insane said:
No I am not sticking my face close to those shishkabob sticks... figge... You can do that if you want though. *Goes off to sit and watch for figge to attack a strider with a crowbar.*

Pff... If Teeth was a weapon i whould eat that strider, and use his legs as toothpicks... he don't scare me...

:(

Oh im lying :x

figge said:
Pff... If Teeth was a weapon i whould eat that strider, and use his legs as toothpicks... he don't scare me...

:(

Oh im lying :x
Bad figge! No lyin... *PSST* Next time don't admit it, I was convinced you were serious.

i think, shooting at the joints of the legs is the way to take them down... well, that's what il try, just before it falls ontop of me and kills me... oh well :p

I would think a lot of rockets (hmm....8 to 10?) should bring one down. If all you have is a machine gun, you will probably have to avoid it as best as you can.

Giant mouse trap...rat poison.....super sonic pest control thingies....invisible fences....black holes....etc.

im gonna walk up to it, pull down my pants and start to p1ss all over one of his feet while looking up at him saying "how do u like them apples?!"

You know that magnetic crane in the new coastline movie? Maybe one of these will be near a spot where you encounter striders. Just follow my simple 4 step program and you will be well on your way to strider smashing success! :thumbs:

Step 1 - Get your ass in the crane

Step 2 - Locate the strider

Step 3 - Pick up the strider and raise it as high as the crane allows

Step 4 - Release!

DrEvil said:
I would think a lot of rockets (hmm....8 to 10?) should bring one down. If all you have is a machine gun, you will probably have to avoid it as best as you can.

I believe one of the striders in the video took 13 rockets.

boy*N.F.i* said:
im gonna walk up to it, pull down my pants and start to p1ss all over one of his feet while looking up at him saying "how do u like them apples?!"

Postal 3: FarCry

If anyone's interested, the time when one of the Striders make the noise is 21:57 in the gamespy video. And believe me, I'm certain that it isn't ears ringing, background noise etc... it's coming from the strider. And it's freaky!

i forsee a strider that i just killed after a huge struggle falling over right on me killing me instantly, just like the helicopters sometimes did in HL1.

The best way to take a strider down?

..LIGHTNING BOLT, LIGHTNING BOLT!

Slime said:
If anyone's interested, the time when one of the Striders make the noise is 21:57 in the gamespy video. And believe me, I'm certain that it isn't ears ringing, background noise etc... it's coming from the strider. And it's freaky!

Yep i hear that.... sound very similar to some of the sounds the Gonarch made in Half Life 1

hmmm I think that some of you might have been right when you jokingly(or perhaps you were serious, sick freaks) suggested shooting the the strider up its arse...the first time you see a stride flinch, it gets a rocket rigth up it's rectum....

heh I'm guessing if there isn't any particular way to take them down that you have to shoot up under them...like their soft spot the belly...

check the screen...the strider gets hit from behind approx. where the third leg is attached.(sorry for the blurry cap)

No thats not what I ment at all. I said its obvious how to kill it, is that clear enough? Its clear from the first Strider vid and the second only reinforces the first in case you had any doubts.

You probably just pound it with your squad over and over again until it falls over/explodes.

It actually looked as if one of the striders was a bout to die when it suddenly changed direction, lowered itself and walked away. (it came back, but still)

Maybe if you get to use a flying machine with a rope sometime in the game like Star Wars, Rope theres legs and trip them.

Someone was mentioning in another post that there ought to be a rope gun and take them out AT-AT style. :E

Goombatommy said:
Nobody knows how to take one down.....or if it can even be taken down to begin with.
Good job, Mr. Obvious. He's making guesses. :cool:

Back