Tell me a good book and I'll give you 0.05$

Silmarillion, Hobbit, Clive Barkers Great and Secret Show and Weaveworld.

Harry Potter.

Anyone who laughs will die.

Harry Potter and Da Vinci code are done, did not like.

MaxiKana said:
The Da Vinci Code

/me points and laughs

Harry Potter > Da Vinci Code.

Now, please, refrain from your childish attitude :p

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Look To Windward

i like some Micheal Crichton now and then, i thought Jurrasic Park and The lost world were great. Other than that, you've coverd my favourites, Discworld, LOTR and Hitch Hikers.

I've been burning through Lovecraft. Great stuff if you don't want to sleep at night. Quite probably scarier than even Poe.

watership down -richard adams
the forge of god -greg bear

google them your damn self.

Now lets' see...The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy...and what's more? Oh yes, how could I forget, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

i was quite unimpressed with hgttg.. it was like reading a flying circus transcript, which may appeal to some, but not me. probably a better read when you're younger.

Direwolf said:
I've been burning through Lovecraft. Great stuff if you don't want to sleep at night. Quite probably scarier than even Poe.
Ive been wanting to get into lovecraft, what are some good books to start with? Any suggestions?

Queen of Angels by Greg Bear

and the new foundation trilogy (3 new books on Asimovs saga)

1. Foundation´s fear by Gregory Benford.
2. Foundation and Chaos by Greg Bear. (violently good book)
3. Foundation´s Triumph by David Brin.

All 4 books rock, sci-fi all of them....I like sci-fi :imu:

The New Jedi Order (may not be translated into Portuguese).

I've read Brave New World, Dedalus.

Not as impressive as 1984.

Soon to read Utopia.

I have to read 1984 and cosmos before january..hope they are good.

Vigilante said:
I have to read 1984 and cosmos before january..hope they are good.

Think of Cosmos as past information gathering, and 1984 as future information prediction.

The Wasp Factory by Ian Banks (also check out his other earlier fiction, and his science fiction - Iain Banks).

Sprafa said:

One of the best Discworld book is Small Gods. It takes up religion and christianity in a ridiculously funny way.

Seriously, you have to read it.

Besides that, I'd say The Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy and the Dirk Gently books.

Perhaps you might want to try some of the Swedish writers? August Strindberg comes to mind (Ask for the book Hemsöborna (The People of Hemsö)). Viktor Rydberg with the book "Singoalla". Or why not try out one of our most famous romantiscists Erik Gustaf Geijer, or Esaias Tegnér with his work "Fritiofs Saga"? Or perhaps Vilhelm Moberg's book "The Emigrants" (Utvandrarna) from 1949. It's about a group of swedish emigrants during the 19th century moving to America seeking a better life. This book was elected swedish book of the century in 1998.

Or why not the norwegian writer Henrik Ibsen with his work "Et Dukkehjem"?

Also, if you liked George Orwell's 1984 then I think you should consider Animal Farm. It sounds like a childrens book, but what it really is is one big allegory about the Soviet Union and communism.

The end of Eternity, by Isaac Asimov.

My latest read, and very good. :)

Anything by Tolkien, anything by Ray Bradbury... lets see what else... Dan Brown books aren't terrible if you're looking for some mind bubble gum. :p

mchammer75040 said:
If you liked 1984, you'll love:
Orxy and Crake by Margaret Atwood
I cant stand Margaret Atwood, in English AS we had to study her book, 'the handmaids tale'... i hated it. so terrible. i just dont think (that book atleast) she's a very good author, imaginative but her writing style really puts me off.

Back