Votes: 9 4.5%
  • Lambda Core

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • Xen/Gonarch's Lair/Interloper/Nihilanth

Votes: 6 3.0%

• Total voters

Homer

Reaction score
What was your favorate level in the origonal halflife?
I can only have 10 options so I had to combine a few levels, but those ones ran together anyway.

That one blew me away, just because it was the first time I ever played a game that good. The next 16 levels were nirvana the first time through.

The point where it peaked for me was surface tension. With the cliff, and the mines, and the sweet background. So good.

suface tension was so awesome. i loved the apaches, god that was cool.

/me goes and plays Half-life

Probably Questionable Ethics.. is was the first point where you realize that there's more to what's going on than a simple accident.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

questionable ethics is cool but surface tension was funner but questionable ethics was cooler

Office Complex/"We've Got Hostiles" : Fighting in the offices like that was some scary sh*t... In We've Got Hostiles, my most memorable part from HL was when a scientists was like "OMG Soldiers Im saved!"... then he gets creamed by the Marine, who says "Uhhh negative"... good times.

Unforseen Consequences scared the crap out of me when sh*t started to explode. Blast pit was also pretty freaky with those tentacles. On A Rail was pretty cool.. but it was way too long for me. Surface tension got me into a rush... I would write a summary for every chapter but that would be too long. :E

Both Surface Tension and Questionable Ethics here.

i like the level that had the assassins, i dont know what level that is but was fun killing them..wish there were more :(

I like surface tension best but I accidently voted for forget about freeman.

Hey, forget about freeman had that awesom thing with calling in the air strikes. That was my favorate boss battle of the game. Well, maybe not a boss battle, but really big bad guy.

Definately questionable ethics. Also first time you see the cool marine vs alien grunt fights.

Questionable Ethics/Surface Tension. it's where things REALLY started to kick into high gear, plot and gameplay wise.

Oh, and Lambda Core gets bonus points for atmosphere alone.

Looks like surface tensions is holding on to a slight lead.

Which is sweet, because it was my pick when I made this poll.

Now we wait for halflife2 to come out then vote on the best level out of the two :). I kind of expect it to be surface tension, that level just has a feel like nothing else. It FELT like the desert.

Dont have a fav. Liked the game as a whole.

Surface Tension was awesome. Like the above post i really just enjoyed the whole game. Well maybe not Xen so much. ;) :p

'We've got hostiles'. Love it when you're going up the lift and hear the marines' radio for the first time, and the music starts.

imo, on a rail and the jump puzzle on Zen were the worst levels, i hated how movement was constricted and i had no bearings, i got lost :x
The best level was the one in the lab where you get the egon gun and fix all them lasers. but also where you finally reach the surface, only to be attacked by army helicopters !

I AM not actully good with level names i just loved the story line when u first learnt der was alot more to the story line i was so excited it was such a good game then i thought i could go into the water with only my crowbar an den.....ICHTYSOURS :'(

this game has the best story line of all an i still aient finished the game im up to a bit where u have to go under water through des pipes (realy close to going to xen) i kinda dun wanna play any further im realy realy afraid of ichtysours lol as sad as that sounds i got a question (are there any ichtysours on xen) der wasent none in blue shift :)

in blue shift i couldent wait to get to xen i was very very let down by the exsperiance thoe :( P.S - my fav level would have to be surface tension ON THE CLIFFS RULED (specially the bakground) made u fell scared to fall even thoe its a video game

Surface Tension was fun, had some good AI battles (which I've loved since Doom), and some great set pieces. Residue Processing irritated me not because of the jumping puzzles (which I have no problem with), but because the player movement in the game was so floaty and roller-skatey.

Surface tension. It was a classic. Many good battles, yourself vs. grunts and tanks and copters, grunts and tanks vs. aliens, you vs. aliens, etc. It had everything that made HL good, and it also had the run&gun moments similar to Doom. Also, the level was huge...

Residue processing is what I hated. Barely any fights and just jumping. Oh, and I hated Interloper too.

Surface Tension and Office Complex.

Surface Tension is without a doubt my favourite level. Can remember the first time I played that chapter. Just fleeing from the Apache helicopters, marines yelling "It's Freeman!", walking on the mountain and watching down (I felt so dizzy the first time I looked right down from the mountain, and I thought for myself "I'm never going to pass this area") from it etc. etc.

Office Complex was the first time I got really scared, especially fighting all those Alien Slaves. Thank god for Barney though. :p

We've got hostiles!
It completely blew me away, You see the marines and thank god for some assistance, and then... What the hell?

Wonderfull experience. Surface tension was nice, but I did not like the minefields. :\

I loved Gonarch's lair. I remember loading it up for the first time, hearing that wierd scream and thinking "wtf was that?". Then there was that galloping sound and that huge one balled crab running towards me. That was a fun boss battle.

Probably the most memorable moment for me was the accident right in the beginning. I was really into SIN when it came out, and I never paid much attention to half life. One day my buddy brought his copy over and said "you've got to try this". I was thinking yeah, yeah, another quake 2 engine game, whoop de doo. But that subway to work really got me. I was playing at like midnight with all the lights off when I went into the test chamber for the first time. The heartbeat sound was soo awesome, and then the flashes of zen with the aliens staring at you. Creepy!
There are way too few moments like that in gaming for me, imho. I think that's why I found half life so special. I ran out and got my own copy the next day.

johnnypoopoopant said:
i like the level that had the assassins, i dont know what level that is but was fun killing them..wish there were more :(

Both at the end of Apprehension and "Forget about freeman!"

Anyway, I liked "We got hostiles" because you find out that the odds against you were slightly changed (slightly is an understatement, especially with those MP5's/M16's firing lead)

"we've got hostiles", for me it had the most exciting battle in the game. Walking into a room loaded with marines waiting for me and then suddenly realizing you have to start running around taking cover and dodging grenades was just the most fun I ever really had in a FPS. Even though it only lasted about 1:30 the first time I played it I just loved it.

The music they used in the big marine battle was perfect as well.

HalfLife's maps were limited due to the engine that they were using.

Imagine what a mod team could do to make the levels more interesting and bigger with the source engine (A driveable Humvee on surface tension anybody).

"Anamolous Materials"

That level rocked! Except...

if you wanted to actually fight something :eek:

Black Mesa inbound, Anamolous materials and unforeseen consequences.

Back