• "Forget about Freeman!"

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • Lambda Core

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • Xen/Gonarch's Lair/Interloper/Nihilanth

Votes: 6 3.0%

• Total voters
KNoX said:
suface tension was so awesome. i loved the apaches, god that was cool.

/me goes and plays Half-life
:D thats a well nice sig i would like that :angel:

i loved and still love every single level, even the xen part, in my opinion all the different styles make up for a good part of the greatness of half-life. i'm pretty sure no other game from that time had such varied content. wether you liked the jumping parts or not, i'm not sure it would have been really better if it had just been continuous shooting all the way through. as for xen, well the gonarch battle just rules, and interloper doesnt bother me it's pretty quickly done, and challenging at the expert level, and it's the only place where you get to battle Alien Controllers (oh yeah theres some when you warp to xen too, too much of them actually haha) and they make for pretty interesting fights i think. and nihilanth is a cool boss, not as action-packed as i'd want for a final boss for such a great game but he's got interesting twists like sending you to tough places with his energy fields.

funny how when you plan on saying a line or two about half-life, it turns out to be a whole paragraph

Well, I actually liked the Xen levels as well, apart from the low gravity. Design-wise, I thought it very creative, and the Gonarch chasing after me still scares the crap out of me.

-Angry Lawyer

Can't relate the levels with their proper names, though I think I liked Questionable Ethics.

Office Complex/ We've Got Hostiles

Loved how full of stuff Office Complex was. So many cool scripted events, and it seemed like a real place with the meat cooler, the various offices, the elevator shafts, etc.

We've Got Hostiles was great because it was the first encounter with the military, who were definitely the toughest enemies yet encountered.

On A Rail scared the hell out of me.

The eerie calmness; the echoes of your railcar; the long dark railway tunnels with little cover from anything that pops out. And those creepy sounds of tourtured souls emerging from the abyss...

*shivers*

But of course, nothing beats the adrenaline rush of surface tension. It featured creative level design and it really showed off the AI.

Very well done.

On a rail is not that eerie, it is like confusing with all those electrifying tracks..

Surface Tension still rox..

It seems the leaders are the options that most illustrate "black mesa"
eg, The beginning, questionable ethics (labs) and surface tension (facility in desert etc) as opposed to the more industrial or alien sections

Surface Tension, just because its so huge.

Also it includes such delights as: Helicopters, Dam level, Cliff level, Tripmine level, Garg in parking garage, Airstrike targets.

Also an honourable mention for Blast Pit. It was the one level with an actual cool objective other than simplying going from A to B and killing things.

wow .... im not alone ..... i liked Surface Tension too....

lol the best level hands down would be surface tention :D THE CLIFFS WAS SICK I RECKON AND THE PART WHERE U WALKED OUT and saw that huge GARGUNTA flipping over cars in the parcking lot an den ur sitting der watching it an den it turns an sees u an u cant get back from where u came from ..... RUUUNN! :D ---- classic ----

well, the first timei have ever played a FPS was at my friends house.. and he was on surface tension.. after the part with the tank .. the same area where hunted (TFC) takes place.

you know what... that's why i hate HL2.. it's does not have Surface Tension. Sand Traps is HL2's surface tension.. but its not quite it :(

I loved the sequence in Surface Tension where you see an Alien Grunt pick up and headbutt a Human Grunt through a concrete wall. :)

sfc_hoot said:
I loved the sequence in Sufrace Tension where you see an Alien Grunt pick up and headbutt a Human Grunt through a concrete wall. :)

that was AWESOME... too bad he didnt slam through it, he just kinda pushed as iff the concrete was cotton..

im thinking of making my own single player levels based on surface tension.

Pocky Power said:
that was AWESOME... too bad he didnt slam through it, he just kinda pushed as iff the concrete was cotton..
Yeah, it seemed a little fake how the human grunt just went flying through the concrete, as if it was a wooden board or something similar. Still, an awesome sequence. :)

Whooh, those Alien Grunts must have one hell of a head! Being able to a headbutt someone through concrete! ;) Wish I could do that.

I think Blast Pit is the best part. Anytime I think about Half-Life, the first thing I picture is the giant silo in Blast Pit

Surface Tension...

The awe of walking out the front door after being cooped up in black mesa, I thought it was the end of the game the first time through :D

Surface Tension, by far. It always has been my favorite level... with probably QE second and Office Complex 3rd.

I love making it past all of the mines on the ground, then the cliff, and then the tripmines. I feel so proud of myself. :)

And that headcrab at the top of the cliff in the storm drain pipe still scares the shit out of me EVERY TIME.

In QE when you first get the Tau Cannon and Barney is messing with it... or turning the machine on with the grunt still inside. Genius for its time!

Lets not forget OC when you've got like 3 Barneys by your side fighting it out with Vortigaunts as the scientists scream for dear life.

I love forget about freeman. Don't remember why though.

Goalie31 said:
Surface Tension...

The awe of walking out the front door after being cooped up in black mesa, I thought it was the end of the game the first time through :D

Yeah, it felt like you had been on your way out for ages. Now when I think about it, it's only like half way into the game

Surface Tension.

You finally get to the surface!

...but marines are waiting to blow the living shit out of you. Loved the grunt combat and the entire atmosphere it created. You knew that no place was safe. Even the slower bits (creeping past the giant tentacles) was still rife with tension. And hey, you got to blow up a few tanks.

It's what defined Half-Life for me.

Questionable Ethics is a close second. Loved the soldier/alien battles. And having Barney cream both himself and his fellow scientist with the Tau Cannon was memorable, if somewhat tear-inducing.

I liked the beginning of Half Life just because it built so much suspense for the entire game

Blast Pit. It was just so awesome from going up after a battle with aliens and pipe walking over radioactive goo, you walk into the silo, thinking its all hunky-dorey, then you see the scientist who says, "You have to stop it!" And your thinking, oh shit. Thats about the time you hear it tapping the wall. Just awesome. That, and Surface tension. Alien grunts are so cool.

one of my fav and funniest moments:

surface tension, against that tank that shot missiles at you. i run up to it, dodging missiles all the way there, whip out my crowbar and start banging away at the missile turrent. missiles are being shot at me point blank and im still running and jumping and banging with my crowbar. after about 100 hits the tank blows up....blasting me to pieces XD!!!!1!11!!!111

hilarious :)..guns are for the weak

i liked the xen levels, hordes of aliens armed with nothing but that wimpy thornet gun to conserve ammo (even though nihilithak was too easy)

Back