The end of Max Payne 2... *SPOILERS*

Wildhound

Reaction score
The end of Max Payne 2...

... is so sad! ;(

They imply there'll be a third... but what else could they possibly do to the guy?

Personally I thought it was quite uplifting at the end...

Okay... in all seriousness, that is not what happened when I finished it.

Is that faked somehow or are there multiple endings? Because that just doesn't seem to fit in with the whole Max Payne style.

Erm that's not the ending I got either. What do the different endings depend on?

Spoilers... possibly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beat the game on all three difficulties. Mainly DoA.

Ah right, so it's only different endings for different difficulties? I thought I had missed stuff out etc., for a moment

Thank God. Because the first ending's just downright cruel.

I'm already halfway through on the second difficulty. And intended to finish it on them all. At least now know there's something happiful waiting for me. ;)

Still, it feels really non-Max Payne-ish to have multiple endings, dontcha think?

Kind of, but then I think it's kind of un-Max Payne-ish to have happy endings,

There are no happy endings
(from the game itself :cool: )

Anyway the first ending wasn't that bad, if we're talking about the same one

*** SPOILER ***

Well in the first ending I got, Mona died.

After she says she was such a damsel in distress, the background turns all bloodied and it changes to Max's face. He looks even less happy than usual, which is pretty damn unhappy.

Then he says "She was dead. The bullet in her brain had come to the end of its slow-motion journey". Then some other equally sad stuff. And the last thing he says is: "I had a dream of my wife. She was dead, but it was all right".

Not happy.

Or uplifiting.

Originally posted by Wildhound
Thank God. Because the first ending's just downright cruel.

I'm already halfway through on the second difficulty. And intended to finish it on them all. At least now know there's something happiful waiting for me. ;)

Still, it feels really non-Max Payne-ish to have multiple endings, dontcha think?

max payne 1 had multiple endings, although i believe they were more like "hidden" endings.....

Originally posted by thehunter1320
is that the ending for DoA? or Hardboiled?
It's for DoA, I think. I used a command line to watch the alternate ending, I didn't feel like going through the game 3 times.

Originally posted by thehunter1320
and what program did u use to make that .wmv and have sound?
I used FRAPS to capture the video and audio and used Windows Movie Maker to convert it to wmv format.

What are the commands to skip to the different endings? I don't want to finish it twice more either. Thanks.

Cheating yourself out of what you paid for, are you not?

Spoilers tag added to title, please be more aware next time.

*Spoilers below*

I could sense that Mona was going to die, but I didn't like it how they killed off most of the other main characters; Woden, Vlad, Vinnie... kinda leaves it a little barren for if they make a third game. Hmm. I like Vinnie, too :(

Originally posted by Abom|nation
Hmm. I like Vinnie, too :(

Oh yeah, i like him alot in MP2.
*SPOILER*

The best level is with him, when he is dressed up in a costume of "Cptn' Baseball Bat" and you have to protect him.

"We are dead, freaking dead. Cover me PAYNE, aaahhh!!!"

Hehehe :bounce:

are there any other endings, apart from the mona lives and mona dies one?

I really don't think i can be bothered to play it through again!

Originally posted by Grif
Oh yeah, i like him alot in MP2.
*SPOILER*

The best level is with him, when he is dressed up in a costume of "Cptn' Baseball Bat" and you have to protect him.

"We are dead, freaking dead. Cover me PAYNE, aaahhh!!!"

Hehehe :bounce:

Well, that was fun in a totally ****ing sick not fun at all way.

Originally posted by pHATE1982
are there any other endings, apart from the mona lives and mona dies one?

I really don't think i can be bothered to play it through again!

i agree. it feels like a real chore having to trudge through the same trigger based levels just to get to an alternate ending. some of the set pieces are decent, but it's just plain cumbersome.

who here likes alternate endings? or would you prefer one solid ending?

My real question is...
(spoilers)

"If they do make a third Max Payne, what ending will they use?"

Also, I am still waiting for that flim. You do know that they are supposed to be making a movie, right? Go look in the first game's intrunction manual.

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

Well in the first ending I got, Mona died.

After she says she was such a damsel in distress, the background turns all bloodied and it changes to Max's face. He looks even less happy than usual, which is pretty damn unhappy.

Then he says "She was dead. The bullet in her brain had come to the end of its slow-motion journey". Then some other equally sad stuff. And the last thing he says is: "I had a dream of my wife. She was dead, but it was all right".

Not happy.

Or uplifiting.

remember all those nightmares about his wife and everything? Well now through all of this he's been able to get through it, and dream of his wife 'but it was all right'. He's able to get on with his life and not be traumatized in his dreams. I don't know maybe I saw it the wrong way?

**** SPOILER ****

I seriously thought Max was going to blow his brains out at the end after Mona died. He seemed really really freakin depressed. I was thinking a fade-to-black and then gunshot sort of thing.

Originally posted by TaiFong
**** SPOILER ****

I seriously thought Max was going to blow his brains out at the end after Mona died. He seemed really really freakin depressed. I was thinking a fade-to-black and then gunshot sort of thing.

but then how would they make max payne 3?

*Spoiler*

I don't think they actually managed to keep any of the man characters alive. Bravura went too. That guy that works in the police lock up in MP2 was a cop in MP1 I think who also got killed, then the others Abom mentioned. It's just Max left. I'd assume as most people will only finish the game once that they'd start of MP3 assuming that and Mona will be dead.

I believe the ending is very, very well made. To see him smiling for the first time ever in the end of that graphic novel.. As noir-ish as it could ever get.

You see, the fundament in Noir is to have a very dark journey with a somehow relieving ending (as far as I've heard). :afro:

Well, I'm running on Hard-Boiled for now, a little nicer to have more difficult enemies! ;)

Originally posted by Chris_D
*Spoiler*

I don't think they actually managed to keep any of the man characters alive. Bravura went too. That guy that works in the police lock up in MP2 was a cop in MP1 I think who also got killed, then the others Abom mentioned. It's just Max left. I'd assume as most people will only finish the game once that they'd start of MP3 assuming that and Mona will be dead.

actually if u took your time and looked around near the end of the game(big screen, before u go up the large elevator with all the guns 15 feet infront of it in the nicely decorated room) u would see that bravura was stated to be in stable condition on the news channel.
btw, taking my time and admiring the level of detail, it took me around 8 hours to complete.

Back