The Freeman have no shadow

P

PCBuster

Well, he have none.

I just noticed that and realized that is weird.
I don't remember if ALL of the FPS's Playable characters i know, did have a shadow.
but i'm sure that i've seen myself cast a shadow in a game before.

And i'm not sure about legs either.
Gordon seems to be floating around in city17 forever. :bonce:

Although some modern games, like Halo2, give not only a shadow, but legs as well, I think Half-Life2 is trying to keep it with the Arcade-video game feel. You can also climb up a ladder backwards and walk around forever... I think it's just to give you a sense of both the fact that this IS a game, and it allows the player to psychologically "become" Gordon Freeman a lot easier.

One of the reasons that they didn't give Gordon a voice, cutscenes, or even a real past is to allow the player to take on the role of Gordon Freeman himself. It makes the game that much more immersive if there's nothing to remind you that its not actually you in the game.

I don't like the feel of looking down and seeing two legs. It breaks the immersion and creates a sense of the developer forcing the character on to you. It also doesn't look realistic enough unless you have one of those parabolic monitors.

Shadows just plain don't look right.

Imo, I think having shadows in the first person view alone would be fantastic. If you actually want an idea what it'd look like, if you play CS:S in spectator mode, and go into first person mode, you can still see the player's shadow.

yeh i was also hoping that you could see gordons reflection but wtv lol

Stand up and look donw right now, you dont see your legs except out of your prehiprial vision, or if you puropsely want to look at them. When one looks down he also leans forwards.

Shadow in first person would not break imersion at all. Reflections might break it for some people, but not me.

Having shadows with no legs? Shit, that would suck. The reason that Gordy have no shadow is because he doesnt have a model of himself!! If you open the console and type in "thirdperson" all you'll see is a pair of floating arms holding a weapon. That's why he cant cast shadow. :/

I remember playing halo 2, and then accidently pushing the analog forward and seeing these stupid green things bobbing up and down. At first i fired, then realized it was his legs heh :p

They sorta sucked, i thought.

In every single FPS i've ever seen (except Thief 3), the main character has had his/her legs amputated and rides on a hover-platform.

-DaMaN

P.S. No, really, they just NEVER include legs, mabye it'd take up too much computer time, but still... i think they should at least TRY...

Theres no shadow in shadow, smoke change, water ripples in CS either.

Its really annoying.

For good use of shadows play Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay.

Shens said:
I don't like the feel of looking down and seeing two legs. It breaks the immersion and creates a sense of the developer forcing the character on to you. It also doesn't look realistic enough unless you have one of those parabolic monitors.

Shadows just plain don't look right.

Agreed, in games that actually show the characters legs... It looks really gay in all the games i've seen them do this.

I think the shadows are cool, but my computer is too slow anyway.

for ggood use of shadow play splinter cell chaos theory it is teh roxxors

Shadows are okay

I never missed shadows on a character in a first person shooter until I turned them on in Doom 3. Doom 3, unlike HL2, is supposed to be more tense and creepy, which is why most all of the rooms and whatnot are in the dark, why they purposefully made it so you couldn't hold your flashlight and weapon at the same time, and kept a lot of rooms quite dark. When you turn the shadow on in this environment, it works quite well; it's not just a black ball, it mimics your entire body. It's a matter of opinion whether or not seeing your body in the game (looking down to see legs, passing a mirror and seeing yourself) will ruin a game. I found that it made things a LOT creepier in Doom 3 to have this. Why no shadows or reflections in HL2? Maybe it's a facet of the engine, maybe they just thought it was lame, maybe their thought was that the immersion was supposed to have you "be" Gordon as opposed to "control" him. I'd like to see them personally.

They should make a FPS but make all the character animations and modle, then put the camera in between the 2 eyes. That would also solve inconcistencies between first person modles of weapons and third person

did anyone notice they purposely have no mirrors in hl either?

Jangle said:

Yes, that's true.
there's no model of Gordon in the game files.
so even if there was a mirrors, you couldn't see yourself in them

its always nice to see the extra details, but in the case of the feeling of 'you' 'being' Gordon (rather than you playing 'as' Gordan) having no player model is more personal somehow. Also primarily its just eye candy, and doesnt add a thing gameplay wise. + can be a distraction. The day games include everything visually feasable is the day when gameplay will start to suffer in favour of radical visuals that really arnt needed unless you want to be lawnmower man.

Was there a gorden model in the first game? Casue i went into the models section of my hl1.gcf and it showed a gorden. So, if there was a model in the first one (i'm not really sure) why woudln't there be one in the second?

i kind of liked to stare at myself in the train level in the original UT. it was like, hey cool, i see myself!

Hitman had a full body model in first person and it looked the dogs bolloxs!

diluted said:
Is the source engine capable of mirrors?
well it can do cameras (thats how we get Breen and Kleiner on various monitors throughout the game), so i guess at worst, they could set up a camera facing you, and then have the monitor right behind the camera, simulating a mirror...

The hotdog man said:
Was there a gorden model in the first game? Casue i went into the models section of my hl1.gcf and it showed a gorden. So, if there was a model in the first one (i'm not really sure) why woudln't there be one in the second?

That model was for HL-DM, and there was no planned DM part of HL2 until at least late in development, maybe even after the game was released.

I don't like games that feature legs. They only end up like big balloons, not realistic at all.

Ditto, the companies that do have legs in their games need to make them not look as lame as they are.

no legs = good. if you play halo 2 and actually observe the legs, it would seem as if master chief is walking around squatted down the whole time. also, the leg animations don't match with how you walk so it's like you're gliding and your leg is just moving around. it's pretty crappy actually.

Stand up[ right now and look at the floor, notice your body volintarily leans forwards so you cna just see your legs out of your prehiprial vision.

no legs=realistic.

diluted said:
Is the source engine capable of mirrors?
You're not very smart, are you? Remember the pretty, reflective water? And all the various shiny things you see through the game? The source engine is capable of far more complex things than mirrors, as well as mirrors themselves(sp?).

Jangle said:
I think there are a few mirrors, but they are dirty/broken so you can't see any reflections anyway. The main mirror I can remember is on the highway level, where there is the gate you need to find batteries for. Look in the bathroom inside the small house there.
Some of the water is a bit reflective too, though I haven't seen any reflections of Gordon's arms yet.

I still remember playing Duke Nukem and walking into the toilets in the game, after blasting the monster taking a ****, turning around, then seeing myself (the Duke rather) in the mirror. It was pretty cool.

In Half-Life 2, I think there should have been Gordon-shadows. In a way it is kinda cool, like your not quite there ( almost like the G-man).

Would be good if there were hands on the steering wheel and handles, on the car and boat respectively. I mean, you don't see the crowbar swinging itself or the your guns levitating in mid-air.

Its steering itself! OMG!!!11!! :dork:

Maybe Gordon is actually psychic, and he used his telepathy to do stuff like press buttons, drive vehicles and control a crane. :p

You can't see his feet because he is levitating with his legs crossed or something.

then why can't he go over fences?

15357 said:
then why can't he go over fences?
Because he isn't powerful enough to levitate that high. Thats also why he can't read enemy's minds or press buttons from a distance with his mind powerrrrssss....

Every time I walk past those fences in the game I wonder why he can't just climb them. :rolleyes:

Black Ops4 said:
Every time I walk past those fences in the game I wonder why he can't just climb them. :rolleyes:

after surface tension, freeman has a fear of hights.

ahh, the memorys of hl1.......

poor marines.............. ;(

I think it's kind of ironic how everyone has accepted that you see gordon's arms holding his weapon, but not pressing a button or stearing a vehicle. It's kind of inconsistent.
I'm also glad that no game yet has gone the entire way with this, imagine having a blurry vision of your character's nose on screen al the time.

Black Ops4 said:
You can't see his feet because he is levitating with his legs crossed or something.

hahahahaha Dhalsim Freeman! nice :thumbs:

Gordon is to cool and s**t to have a shadow. He's so badass his shadow is afraid of him...that's what i think at least.

Back